Zarqawi Killed

Chinahand

Its being reported that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq has been killed: find out more here.

He stirred up hate and violence and was directly involved in the murder of hostages such as Ken Bigley.

I hope his death will help Iraq come to start to see a return to some form of normality; though it will be a long time before its achieved.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes you think that there aren't 10 even more fanatical and ruthless people ready to take his place?

There probably are ... but I believe individuals have the ability to influence events and this particular individual was a force for hatred. He directed and inspired violence and though his influence will live on beyond the grave, he won't be able to direct it now ... and he was good at that, its good that he can't do it any more.

Its being reported that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq has been killed: find out more here.

He stirred up hate and violence and was directly involved in the murder of hostages such as Ken Bigley.

I hope his death will help Iraq come to start to see a return to some form of normality; though it will be a long time before its achieved.

All that has happened is that a martyr has been created. I'm sure the violence will increase.

A martyr has been created? As a murderer and a threat to the civilian presence in Iraq, he deserved the violent end.

The tip-offs were given by ordinary iraqis, and who would now support the terrorist movement just because a violent leader (seen in videos supporting the killing and torture of people) has been killed?

Or perhaps they should have tried to arrest him and end with more civilian and soldiers dying?

All that has happened is that a martyr has been created. I'm sure the violence will increase.

As Chinahand said, he had an active role in directing a significant proportion of the violence in Iraq. It takes more than martyrs to sustain an insurgency, it needs expertise, contacts with the outside world and tactical/strategic planning.

It's also worth remembering that the majority of Iraqi's resented 'foreigners' like al-Zarqawi and his followers telling them what to do and trying to intimidate them just as much as they may resent to coallition. The past year saw a significant rise in battles between al-Zarqawi's organization and iraqi groups and militias (so much so that U.S. marine commander remarked earlier in the year that some of the heat had been taken off his men).

It may be the case that another figure rises to lead al-Zarqawi's men, but for now this is entirely good news.

It may be the case that another figure rises to lead al-Zarqawi's men, but for now this is entirely good news.

No argument with that - but I think it's also worth noting that al-Zarqawi was only able to begin operating in Iraq after the invasion in 2003. Before that, having escaped from Jordan, he was just another Al Quaeda thug with nowhere to go.

Al Qaeda does not exist m8! There is no threat, or if you want to split hairs about it only the one`s we arm first.

Lets hope you remember they only " Manufacture are consent".

"Ridicule is the tribute that mediocrity pays to genius"

The News from 'other' sources says he was removed from his key position early last month, so ultimately his death means very little. Maybe it would have been better to catch him if that was at all possible.

I notice on a few other websites there's a lot of people banging on about what a nasty piece of work he was & how its the death of the anti-Christ etc.. well in this war there's no side untarnished, the ‘work’ of pro-government paramilitaries goes relatively unnoticed… sorry, I mean unreported by the mainstream meja & what they've been up to is truly harrowing. It’s like Central America all over again.

A lot people believe that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was a construct (a bogeyman) created by the intelligence services for one reason or another.

This is just another hollow victory in an otherwise meaningless & pointless war

but that's my take on it

Al Qaeda does not exist m8! There is no threat, or if you want to split hairs about it only the one`s we arm first.

Lets hope you remember they only " Manufacture are consent".

Yeah sure there's no threat; the CIA plotted and financed 7/7, the Madrid bombings, the attacks in Jordon and Turkey, and lets not forget the multiple bombings in Egypt and Bali. And of course all the attacks in Iraq, all just black operations to ensure the US can control the oil.

And the beheadings in Thailand, massacres in Nigeria and Somalia ... all plotted, financed and carried out with the full acquiesence of the US.

You can't even coherently quote Chomsky.

The News from 'other' sources says he was removed from his key position early last month, so ultimately his death means very little. Maybe it would have been better to catch him if that was at all possible.

A lot people believe that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was a construct (a bogeyman) created by the intelligence services for one reason or another.

This is just another hollow victory in an otherwise meaningless & pointless war

but that's my take on it

Yep, he'd handed over command of Al-Qaeda in Iraq to ... guess who ... an Iraqi ... I don't think this was anything to do with him loosing influence, but was due to the fact foreigners are increasingly hated in Iraq. Al Qaeda in Iraq was trying to link more fully into the Sunni insurgency and Al Zarqawi realized to do this it needed an Iraqi as its figure head.

If he was a construct, I'd say he believed in that construct, he manipulated his media image very carefully and definitely cultivated it. And with that cultivation came real influence over the way the insurgency was conducted. The attacks on Shi'ites and the deliberate cultivation of a civil war are Zarqawi tactics that were criticized by senior figures in Al Qaeda for taking pressure off the Americans.

Its a war of the US's making, no doubt about it. Bush and Blair bear the responsibility for choosing to fight it. From where we are now whats the best thing to do ... attempt to build a functioning government and fight to defeat those who foster violence for violence sake. I still support those attempts: if the yanks left it'd be worse.

The Respect MP George Galloway believes there are some 500,000 people in Iraq engaged in what the USA/UK Government defines as terrorist activity.

This man was a monster and deserves his fate but no doubt tomorrow there will be revenge attacks for his death and that of the other people who died with him.

Archived