Snow Patrol Sold Out Before Lunch...

Beckett

Pretty frustrating that the ticket dash means no Snow Patrol for me, tickets must have been all gone by 11:30 and that's with no telephone sales.

Do we need to start thinking about somewhere bigger than the Royal Hall? It would help attract bigger and better bands, and there's obviously demand!

Well done to the lucky sods who got a ticket! :angry:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who on earth wants to see that lot of saps?

In any case because one gig sells out quickly, it doesn't mean that there's a need for a bigger venue. There really aren't that many acts that are going to get that big a support. And of those how many are touring regularly and would play here.

Judging by the turn out for the recent Billy Bragg, and Lou Reed gigs what we need is a medium-sized venue, somewhere between pub size and the Villa. Although I'm not sure how cost-effective that would be.

It would be nice also again to have an all-day open air show, say in the Villa Gardens or the Bowl, with a few medium-sized bands playing. Probably impractical but.

alice cooper and beautiful south both sold out very quickly too?

I think they need to bring over bands people want to see - ie not billy bragg and lou reed who have limited following...

As far as I am aware (and this is straight from the Villa booking staff) as the Villa is below 1500 capacity most UK agents won't even give us the time of day because the venue is too small

I think they need to bring over bands people want to see - ie not billy bragg and lou reed who have limited following...

As far as I am aware (and this is straight from the Villa booking staff) as the Villa is below 1500 capacity most UK agents won't even give us the time of day because the venue is too small

I have to say I was suprised to hear SP were coming over.

(Lou would probably have sold out if booked for one night rather than spread over two).

But realistically, how many concerts a year are going to attract 1,500+ over here? I'm not knocking the idea - it would be great, but to cover the cost of building the venue you'd need gigs of this size regularly. Is the market there? (Could the venue be put to other use the rest of the time, as a night club, say?).

The truth of the matter is it is medium-sized artists, like Billy Bragg, that keep the venues of this size ticking over in the UK, but they are in places with larger catchment areas. Unless gig going becomes a habitual part of people's social activity the current situation of occasional gigs, which sell out quickly interspersed with less well-attended shows will continue.

Lou may well have done better on one night than 2 - also would have done better when not competing for money with Alice Cooper - I couldn;t afford to see both no matter how many nights!

I'm not suggesting we rush out and build a bigger venue I'm simply pointing out why we get a certain type of artist over here

Perhaps it's unfortunate that this kind of debate centres solely on musical acts - there are, surely, quite a number of comedians, for example who could fill a large venue. People like Lee Evans and Eddie Izzard spring to mind.

I went down to get a ticket at 09:30 this morning, i was amazed to see a large queue going all the way up to the top of the villa arcade.

I was away when the Doves came over last year, my sister went and she thought it would be crap because the villa is quite a small venue, but she loved it and said the atmosphere was fantastic.

I am all for more bands coming over and if these shows sell out fast then with any luck this will network to other popular groups and maybe we can have regular entertainment on the island instead of going away all the time.

Archived