Wrong Again!?

Chinahand

The two brothers arrested by the police in London after a huge operation where one brother was shot have been released without charge. BBC News link

I feel pretty sorry for the police, they are trying incredibly hard, but the perception is that it is cock up after cock up. Is that perception accurate? How many bombings have been averted by police actions?

With these high profile, public relations disasters the police risk loosing support and vital intelligence from the Muslim community ... what should they do?

The two brothers arrested by the police in London after a huge operation where one brother was shot have been released without charge. BBC News link

I feel pretty sorry for the police, they are trying incredibly hard, but the perception is that it is cock up after cock up. Is that perception accurate? How many bombings have been averted by police actions?

With these high profile, public relations disasters the police risk loosing support and vital intelligence from the Muslim community ... what should they do?

Truth is they can't win, If they hadn't done that huge operation due to lack of evidance and then something happened then they would be to blame, People ask "Why did they use so much force" Well if you thought someone was a terror supect your hardly going to knock on someones door and ask "Are you a terrorist?, Have you got any plans?".

I saw on the news recently that quite a few planned attacks have been foiled, One was about a plan to hit the ministry of sound nightclub, If the Muslim community tried to single out the terrorists then it would help a lot aswell.

Edit : Link for the nightclub story : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,29...2196704,00.html

There was also one about car bomb attacks, Quite a while ago though http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1817431,00.html

It's also even more difficult for the police because, after a mistake has been made, they can't use existing intelligence to help justify the course of action they took, for fear of giving away operational details and jeopardising future operations. Unfortunately, a lot of people exploit this and the vague justifications the police are forced to give to portray the police as either a bunch of bumbling keystone cops, or as being guilty of arbitrarily targeting innocent people.

Sorry to be a bit simplistic here... but if they are working on 'intelligence'.. can't they be a bit more intelligent about it? Sheesh, I can appreciate how difficult a job it must be but these guys are supposed to be the cutting edge of our defense mechanisms and they do seem to be getting themselves in a load of doo doo recently.

I know they can hardly go knocking on the neighbours doors to ask if terrorists live next door, but surely they could make some more discrete enquiries before they go in guns blazing?

I know they can hardly go knocking on the neighbours doors to ask if terrorists live next door, but surely they could make some more discrete enquiries before they go in guns blazing?

How discrete or reliable can any enquiry be when the object is to locate clandestine terrorist cells? Remember that even some of the families of those who carried out the London bombings had no idea their relatives were involved until pictures were released by the police.

The intel has to rely on so many factors and can slip up at any point.

But if they manage to foil even 1 plot then they have served their purpose, what people dont realise are the things that get kept from the press and public.

Uniformed and covert forces will be tracking a large number of suspects and these people will know they are being tracked, the hard part for the security forces is catcing them with evidence that will provide a prison sentence.

Go in too early and you will not have any evidence, leave it too late and people die.

Going in early and not turning up any evidence will have at least disrupted a network and they would be forced to dispand.

I find it hard to believe that security forces had no reason to carry out these raids and if they have disrupted a part of a network then regardless of weather they got a conviction, then they have served a purpose.

The intel has to rely on so many factors and can slip up at any point.

But if they manage to foil even 1 plot then they have served their purpose, what people dont realise are the things that get kept from the press and public.

Uniformed and covert forces will be tracking a large number of suspects and these people will know they are being tracked, the hard part for the security forces is catcing them with evidence that will provide a prison sentence.

Go in too early and you will not have any evidence, leave it too late and people die.

Going in early and not turning up any evidence will have at least disrupted a network and they would be forced to dispand.

I find it hard to believe that security forces had no reason to carry out these raids and if they have disrupted a part of a network then regardless of weather they got a conviction, then they have served a purpose.

Even if we accept all of that (and the 'information' they were acting on does seem a bit 'iffy'), the fact that the authorities were so specific in releasing public statements was surely a serious error - and one that is likely to cost the taxpayer a lot of money.

Story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...1/ixuknews.html

Archived