Lifeboat Crew Hailed Heroes

Bill Posters

I was thinking exactly that. I'd love to go on a genuine U-Boat too. I think I know someone else who'd love to do that as he was gutted that I'd been to Chatham. Might have to have words with him when I'm back at work and get something arranged.

I've a friend who'd like to go so we're thinking of going over to Liverpool in October for a weekend to see the Western Approaches HQ museum and the U-Boat. Also hoping to go to Bovington Tank Museum sometime as well.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They won't let you take photos inside the U-Boat

Huh! Did they give a reason?

Erm, from those pics it doesn't exactly look very safe to go on board it. What's it like inside?

The guy who owns it, some Danish millionaire who paid for it to be lifted, wants to recoup some of the costs by selling a booklet of the story some photos for £2.50. I bought 2 copies after the tour. What I should have done is buy them first and then ask if I could take some photos as well :D

The inside if fine. The rust bits are just the external decking but everything inside the pressure hull is OK. There's still original lino on some floors and bits that were in an airpocket are in remarkably good condition. Some of the Nazi technology was way ahead of the allies. It was actually sunk the day after Germany surrended but I won't spoil the story that Jerry, the appropriately named tour guide, gives.

Also hoping to go to Bovington Tank Museum sometime as well.
If your down that way, you might want to look at visiting the Helicopter museum at Weston-super-mare. It's around 90 miles away but I guess you'll be away for a 2/3 days at least so it might be of interest.

Link here.

The guy who owns it, some Danish millionaire who paid for it to be lifted, wants to recoup some of the costs by selling a booklet of the story some photos for £2.50.

Ah right, that's fair enough I guess.

The inside if fine. The rust bits are just the external decking but everything inside the pressure hull is OK. There's still original lino on some floors and bits that were in an airpocket are in remarkably good condition. Some of the Nazi technology was way ahead of the allies. It was actually sunk the day after Germany surrended but I won't spoil the story that Jerry, the appropriately named tour guide, gives.

Oh good, sounds like an interesting visit, that's for sure.

If you get the chance, I'd highly recommend Chatham. Not too far to travel from Gatwick either. There's a whole heap of historic sites in Kent and I got the chance to see some of them (but not all) when I was down there for my cousin wedding earlier this month. Manston is a great place to go to and Dover castle looks amazing (definately a full day job, it's huge!). I missed out on Dover this time around but made sure I went to Manston.

Sounds like I better start making a list of these places to visit :D

I was in the Deutsche Museum in Munich at Christmas and one of the halls was full of aircraft including helicopters, V1 and V2 rockets, the little rocket plane they developed at the end of the war, etc.

Heh, you could pretty much spend the rest of your life trying to see all this history the U.K. has to offer!

You ever been to any of the museums in London?

HMS Belfast was good (when there as a child)

Imperial War Museum (excellent but again not been there since I was a child)

Navy Days in Portsmouth was always good as a child too (not so good now though, I'm led to believe). There's also a Navy Days in Plymouth too I think.

The Parachute Regiment museum is a good place to visit too (Aldershot) went there as an Army Cadet.

The Ilse of Wight has an interesting history too, as do the Channel Islands. Lots of WWII stuff to see.

You ever been to any of the museums in London?

I've never been to London, not unless you could passing through Heathrow. I've hardly spent any time in the UK at all. Something that I hope to rectify in the next few years.

A bit futher afield - the Intrepid Air Sea & Space Museum based on the Intrepid aircraft carrier in New York is good and the Air Sea & Space Museum in the Smithsonian, Washington is very good - apart from me falling asleep and snoring loudly in the Planetarium :blush:

I've not done America yet but hope to do some form of fly drive in the next few years. San Francisco sounds interesting from what a friend of mine told me after he'd visited the states a few years ago. Can't remember what exactly but something to do with the navy (possibly a sub, if memory serves me correctly). Can't ask him as he's off island (travelling somewhere, don't know where though!).

Also worth considering are:-

The RAF museum at Hendon. (not actually been there but passed it many times on my business travels)

and also

Imperial War Museum Duxford. (well worth a visit).

I've not done America yet but hope to do some form of fly drive in the next few years. San Francisco sounds interesting

I'm flying to Seattle and driving down the PCH to San Francisco in about 2 weeks time (If I survive flying to the USA with BA on Sept 11th)

I don't remember anything about a sub, but I'll check the guidebooks. I think there's a Russian sub in Los Angeles by the Queen Mary. I didn't get to see it last time I was there.

Imperial War Museum Duxford. (well worth a visit).

My plane enthustiast friend is threatening to take me there one day, maybe next year now.

It's about time the Lifeboat crew got some recognition, nice one.

We've been to the warships at Birkenhead a few times, definitely doable on a day trip, just get the ferry across and then it's about a 15 minute walk (if that). Andrew was gutted when he found out he wasn't allowed on the UBoat so we'll be going back when he's old enough (you have to be 12). We went on the submarine there but it was too much for me and I had to get out but Phil had the video camera with him and took footage of Andrew in one of the bunks, who at the time was 7, and looking at it I just don't know how they lived like that.

I'm flying to Seattle and driving down the PCH to San Francisco in about 2 weeks time (If I survive flying to the USA with BA on Sept 11th)
Good luck!

I don't remember anything about a sub, but I'll check the guidebooks. I think there's a Russian sub in Los Angeles by the Queen Mary. I didn't get to see it last time I was there.

I could be wrong dude, it's going back a few years now.

We've been to the warships at Birkenhead a few times, definitely doable on a day trip, just get the ferry across and then it's about a 15 minute walk (if that). Andrew was gutted when he found out he wasn't allowed on the UBoat so we'll be going back when he's old enough (you have to be 12). We went on the submarine there but it was too much for me and I had to get out but Phil had the video camera with him and took footage of Andrew in one of the bunks, who at the time was 7, and looking at it I just don't know how they lived like that.

Thanks for that Lucy, I was wondering how far it was from the ferry terminal. I'll be sure not to take my nephew with me then, seeing as he's only 9.

Good luck!

Thanks. I found http://www.museumofflight.org yesterday, just on the outskirts of Seattle. It has a Concorde and a previous Air Force One amongst its manx exhibits. Should be good.

Thanks for that Lucy, I was wondering how far it was from the ferry terminal. I'll be sure not to take my nephew with me then, seeing as he's only 9.

You'd need to get the Mersey Ferry from the Liver Building (just up river from where the Steam Packet is) and get off at the Seaforth Ferry Terminal. From there I walked it in seven minutes. Come out of the terminal, turn left down Birkinhead Road, bear right at the roundabout and you'll be there. It's a bit strange seeing a huge U-Boat just sitting there.

Thanks. I found http://www.museumofflight.org yesterday, just on the outskirts of Seattle. It has a Concorde and a previous Air Force One amongst its manx exhibits. Should be good.

Yep, looks like that'll be well worth a visit. Nice to see some British planes made it into their collection too.

You'd need to get the Mersey Ferry from the Liver Building (just up river from where the Steam Packet is) and get off at the Seaforth Ferry Terminal. From there I walked it in seven minutes. Come out of the terminal, turn left down Birkinhead Road, bear right at the roundabout and you'll be there. It's a bit strange seeing a huge U-Boat just sitting there.
Ahh thanks, I'll make a note of that.

Here's what you'll see first on the way to the site.

The Type 9 U-Boat is a lot bigger that I thought it would be

Jeez! It's not that much smaller than the Onyx is it? It looks a lot more sinister though!

Yep, looks like that'll be well worth a visit.

Looking forward to the Flying / Super / Strato Fortresses as well

Ahh thanks, I'll make a note of that.

Sorry. Seaforth Ferry Terminal should be Seacombe Ferry Terminal

Jeez! It's not that much smaller than the Onyx is it? It looks a lot more sinister though!

12 metres shorter, but it looks bloody huge sitting there whereas most of the Onyx is in the water. I did the classic "double take" when I first spotted it.

Looking forward to the Flying / Super / Strato Fortresses as well
The B-52 should be pretty impressive too.

Sorry. Seaforth Ferry Terminal should be Seacombe Ferry Terminal

Noted, thanks.

12 metres shorter, but it looks bloody huge sitting there whereas most of the Onyx is in the water. I did the classic "double take" when I first spotted it.

Yep, I was surprised at the Ocelot as that's in a dry dock but seeing the picture of that U-boat just plonked on some concrete is even more impressive (I guess more so in the flesh).

Here's a couple of images of the Ocelot, not the greatest shots but it was difficult to get a decent angle without making it look tiny:-

post-72-1093956393_thumb.jpg post-72-1093956595_thumb.jpg

Archived