Sitting Members - One At A Time (21) John Rimington

Lonan3

Would you vote for  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This one's going on a day early because I'll be away for a few days.

My main complaint with John Rimington is that he's in favour of centalisation - rather like a brunette with a bad blonde rinse, he's betrayed by his roots - and appears to have little respect for the job done by local authorities. My personal view is that centralisation removes the representatives from the electorate and that, although local government needs revision, it doesn't need the kind of drastic measures that he's proposed and promoted.

(NB only two more 'sitting members' to go - and then a 'special.')

Voted Yes, but it is a tentative one.

In real elections in the past I've voted both for and against him. He's far from ideal, and if two strong candidates emerge in Rushen I won't be voting for him. However, I don't think that's likely, so he'll probably get my vote to keep Gill out.

I'm a yes for Mr Rimmington.

He's pretty well educated with a Politics degree and teaching qualifications. He's worked as a teacher and in banking and then been self employed. While working in the bank he worked for the union and has been involved with AIDS charities and mental health work through being a lay member of a Health Authority.

He's managed to get through reform of the planning system ... massively needed, but local government reform has been more than a bit of a nightmare. I for one very much agree that its necessary and hope they don't give up the attempt!

With the IOM being non party political its perfect for proportional representation and Rimington was instrumental in getting that done.

Wish him luck.

I'm a yes for Mr Rimmington.

He's pretty well educated with a Politics degree and teaching qualifications.

The experience of other nations around the world throughout the ages suggests that a degree is no guarrantee of quality when it comes to statesmanship and political aptitude. In fact, talking to some academics, few seem to believe it's even a guarantee of intelligence;)

The experience of other nations around the world throughout the ages suggests that a degree is no guarrantee of quality when it comes to statesmanship and political aptitude. In fact, talking to some academics, few seem to believe it's even a guarantee of intelligence;)

A degree on its own isn't worth the paper its written on ... but a degree with a varied work background in the private and public sector, voluntary work and enough entreupreneurial spirit to set up his own business prior to a political career does for me show he is intelligent and should have a rounded appreciation of the problems a varied constituency will have: ie have a pretty good political aptitude.

Archived