Tt2007 "back To Basics"

Silentbob

I dont know how many of the local biking population (and visitors) will agree with me; but upon quizzing many visitors over the past couple of weeks I have felt that their views and mine are very similar...

Over the past 10 years, the IOM Gov have changed the whole atmosphere of the TT (outside of the racing) with such measures as:-

1. Closing the Prom nightly because of "Safety Fears"

My View - In my lifetime, the only person that was killed in the Bushey;s area was the idiot who climbed the clock tower. Closing the Prom has only made the riders who used to light up tyres and show off to the crowd at low speeds have to go further afield and faster to get their kicks.

2. Moving the Funfair from Nobles Park to the Prom.

My View - All this has done is to saturate the Prom with pedestrians, from families with pushchairs tripping everyone up, to the local thug element waging war on innocent passers by for kicks.

3. Choices of "Entertainment" for the Visiting bikers

My View - As talented as Russ Swift is; I ask wtf is an overgrown boy racer doing at the Motorcycling Capital of the World? And since the IOM Gov is SO worried about road safety, is it really a good idea to show just how many times you can do a handbrake turn on the prom in front of our impressionable younger driving population?

In Summary

DoTL/DoT/Coppers

Back away from the prom, leave our visitors and local fans of the TT to enjoy themselves, we dont mind you having the uniforms there; I fondly remember the local plod with their almost "yellow Card" attitude to wheelies etc. And there was almost always a smiles on their faces.

Maybe spend the tax payer's money you throw at the whole road closure/russ/whatever other none TT related antics you get up to, and put on a coule of good rock shows at the end of victoria road during the week, free of charge; instead of letting ppl get fleeced for 35-45 quid to see a band.

Cummon Gov, you can afford to get a proper legend band in next year, Foo Fighters? AC/DC? Why not push the boat out, and get them performing on a bloody great pontoon out in the bay?

I will now remove my ranting cap,

Well, as my sarcasm meter is away for calibration, so I am not sure exactly how to take your reply ;) At the end of the day I was more arguing for attempts to keep the riders happy to stay in town and off the course as much as possible, driving them away from the prom with pushchairs, chavs and funfairs is not the way to go imho.

^ lol, was there 2day and the 25 year old chavs were hitting on 12 year old girls..

Would be cool to get a big-ass open stage on the Summerland site next year and get some decent bands over, maybe not free of charge but i'd pay £10-20 to see some cool bands.

Yeah, the organised entertainment is the same year after year, the most entertaining thing i saw this year was the motocross stunt guy they had, set up a big ramp and get him to tool about for a bit. The reason it was entertaining was because i hadn't seen it before 7 or 8 times.

Even if they had the same entertainment as previous years but mixed it up with new stuff, it's the fact that the entertainment on the prom this year was almost identical every night. The Jet Quad and the Motocross guy were the only ones i didn't see every time i went down.

Yep the fair on the prom is a chav-magnet. Problem is, the police presence and security moved them onwards, so instead, the "town square" became chav square with dozens hammered on crates of WKD. This was at about 4pm when I took a look.

The fair should be straight back to Nobles Park for a start. And perhaps look to get some new entertainment.

Could we not take a more traditional theme for the fair? For example we could get the good old fashioned bullring, and let some psychotic bull throw some chavs around? Or alternatively we could do some Chav Baiting - put them in a cage with a pack of half starved raving dogs. And we could let the Pikeys enjoy their favourite pursuit of Bare Knuckle fighting, and take bets on who the last one surviving would be?

I'm not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic !

I agree with moving the funfair elsewhere (I suggested moving it to the old Summerland site in another thread, someone else bettered me I think with a suggestion for Jurby!). It really has nothing to do with the TT and is almost exclusively attended by locals. The space would be better used for more appropriate entertainment. Make it more of a festival with entertainment that will appeal across a broad spectrum.

Wouldn't be averse to some street entertainers/buskers (good ones) dotted along the Loch Prom, interspersing I don't know quite what, but make it somewhere you can amble along in the evening that is entertaining and interesting!

We visited the fair three times this year and each time I really felt that I should have just tipped out my purse at the entrance and walked away! The riders were expensive, predictable (at least there wasn't the Ghost Train lasting two minutes with some masked nipper jumping out to accentuate the adrenalin) and lacklustre!

Time for a re-think Dave!

Sorry, but I have to have an outburst - as of right - now and again:

Could someone ask Cretney and his Tourist Board lackeys why the chuff there is a 'Fun-fair' on the Promenade in TT week anyway.

ffs

ffs

But the prom is a lot more lively with the fair there, not that i go to the fair but still.......

Didnt they have bands playing in the villa gardens a couple of years ago? From what i can remember that was quite good.

I think the bands in the gardens were a temporary fix while the Villa was being refurbished. Nice idea having bands in the gradens though and the stage thingy they had was quite impressive. However, the weather is the usual problem (watching Paul whatisname in the rain was no fun three years ago).

("If wet, in Villa Gardens" became a bit of an urban myth years ago.)

I think the Health and Safety issue for the coppers is nullified by the fact that half of them were jumping on the back of bikes to get their picture taken etc.

As previously mentioned, apart from the clock climber, there has never been a serious/fatal injury on the prom outside bushey's to my memory.

Anything that attracts the wrong element to where the visitors congregate is a bad thing.

There never used to be anything along the prom, it didnt make the evening boring, as the road was open, so there was always something to see on the road, and it was always entertaining.

Archived