Make The Mountain Road One Way

Roger Smelly

Well what do you all think about making the mountain one way permanantly ?

It would be a lot safer and no crashes

I would love to see this happen i think its a great idea just think about it for a bit :blink:

Wouldn't that just turn it into a racetrack?

Hey, brill idea Ans. Perhaps we could get some motorcycle enthusiasts to race on it , say twice a year, once in early summer and then in late summer. Just a thought, but you may be on to something there!

Seriously, I can see where Roger is coming from, but it is one of the two main routes linking Douglas to the north and I can see uproar when which ever direction is chosen as the one way with those who want to make the return journey. I supose you could switch the direction to cater for the peaks in each direction, but you could guarantee some be-capped codger would cause a multiple pile-up!

It would be a lot safer and no crashes

That would be a little bit like the annual Mad Sunday lunacy then ? Never any crashes on the mountain road then are there ?

I would love to see this happen i think its a great idea just think about it for a bit :blink:

I have done and Ive decided you are having a laugh

i think this is a GREAT idea AND, with only a tiny amendment, it really could be put into practice almost immediately.

I propose we simply make the mountain road one way on one side and one way on the other side!

i know ii've caught myself thinking the thoughts of a damn heretic but i really think it could work...

In a ideal world it would be one way for peak times but that wouldn't work as you'd still get people crossing the lines round blind corners thinking its one way.

Making it one way would basically turn it into a racetrack but some treat it that way anyway.

Actually I have to say as IOM roads go, the MTN road is probably one of the better ones for cycling on. It's wide with plenty of passing room, in decent condition, got a good climb on it, and the visibility is really great. There's other roads on the Island which are far worse.

It's a MOUNTAIN bike for MOUNTAINS.

Keep Lycra sporrans off the roads.

In fact all pushbikes and horses should be banned or taxed.

One way will make it more dangerous in my opinion.

The problem with the mountain road from my point of view is everyone seems to be in one big race on it, being one way will only increase this and cause more accidents, the only difference being they won't be head on ones.

If people chose sensible places to overtake and didn't treat it like a race track the mountain road wouldn't be so dangerous.

But relatively speaking it's a safe road if you were to do statistical comparisons which so many forum members seem to be a fan of.

.....but don't some people manage to have accidents all by themselves !

sounds equal to the proposal where a country was going to change from left had drive to right hand drive, but they were going to introduce it gradually, cars one week and wagons the next :lol:

.. well it is the silly season, isn't it ?

Archived