New Look Manx Radio Website

Beckett

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing that struck me is that the monitor screen is 'landscape' and the web page is 'portrait', leaving grey borders down the sides which could have accommodated the stuff at the bottom you have to scroll down to see !.

The other disappointment is the postage stamp size baycam, (which is still showing sunshine !) and leaves a section of a larger image behind it. I used to leave the webcam on screen when not doing anything else, but it's not really up to that any more (and no direct link to go straight to it like .../webcam.aspx)

( just checked my little homepage and it only got 19 errors ! oops )

useful facility that one, but very 'fernickety' :o

(thanks for the link)

The first thing that struck me is that the monitor screen is 'landscape' and the web page is 'portrait', leaving grey borders down the sides which could have accommodated the stuff at the bottom you have to scroll down to see !.

That would mean it would look like shit in 800x600 resolution, which as sucky as it is, some people are using still. I thought the generally accepted minimum these days was 1024, it's certainly what my web designing buddies aim for.

The grey bars down the side are simply you running a resolution width more than 800. That design just wouldn't work with unbounded positioning.

That would mean it would look like shit in 800x600 resolution, which as sucky as it is, some people are using still. I thought the generally accepted minimum these days was 1024, it's certainly what my web designing buddies aim for.

The grey bars down the side are simply you running a resolution width more than 800. That design just wouldn't work with unbounded positioning.

What he said^^ - common practice.

Examples:

http://www.bbc.co.uk (800x600)

http://www.apple.com/uk/quicktime (800x600)

http://www.microsoft.com (1024x786)

Agreeing with the 800px rendering comments and would add...

From the early days of webdesign we have been advised that the human brain finds it easier to follow text if you don't have to move your head to follow the lines.

It's simple to set a webpage to screen size by using percentages as opposed to pixels when styling the content.

Difficulty arises when pages such as Manx Radios are overloaded with position specific content, links and images etc.

I wouldn't have liked the job of coding that page, but then again I wouldn't want the credit either ;)

Difficulty arises when pages such as Manx Radios are overloaded with position specific content, links and images etc

Not with CSS it isn't. That particular design wouldn't accomodate it no matter how you tried though.

Archived