Isle Of Man Attitude Toward England?

maggieblue

Just out of interest, the Isle of Man Post Philatelic Bureau Customer Services website shows their address as:

PO Box 10M

Spring Valley Industrial Estate

Douglas

ISLE OF MAN

IM99 1PB

Via UK

See: http://www.gov.im/post/stamps/contact.aspx

I always understood that it was best to put "Via UK" on the post rather than Great Britain.

Edited to add that the The Isle of Man Family History Society also use "British Isles via UK" in their address details.

Stav.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I'm 'on one' this morning from the International News forum:

The Isle of Man is more than happy it seems to be represented by the British Broadcasting Corporation.

Why do we pay them all those £millions per year? Does Ireland, does Guernsey and Jersey?

The Isle of Man in so many respects is British - just accept it.

Guernsey and Jersey do pay the licence fee, although there has been some controversy over there now that it has been officially reclassified as a "tax" (Crown Dependencies admitting any kind of liability for paying a UK tax could have some ramifications). In return, the BBC provides local TV broadcasting in the Channel Islands, but doesn't bother over here.

Ireland has its own state broadcaster, RTE, so doesn't pay the UK licence fee.

While I'm 'on one' this morning from the International News forum:

The Isle of Man is more than happy it seems to be represented by the British Broadcasting Corporation.

Why do we pay them all those £millions per year? Does Ireland, does Guernsey and Jersey?

The Isle of Man in so many respects is British - just accept it.

Guernsey and Jersey do pay the licence fee, although there has been some controversy over there now that it has been officially reclassified as a "tax" (Crown Dependencies admitting any kind of liability for paying a UK tax could have some ramifications). In return, the BBC provides local TV broadcasting in the Channel Islands, but doesn't bother over here.

Ireland has its own state broadcaster, RTE, so doesn't pay the UK licence fee.

I'd be all for a proper Manx TV channel. Not for the principle of it all - I just want to see the soap operas. They'd be stunning.

I'd be all for a proper Manx TV channel. Not for the principle of it all - I just want to see the soap operas. They'd be stunning.

Would Pullyoiks replace Hollyoaks?

Stav.

I dearly hope so. The sitcoms would be magnificent as well. Perhaps one called 'Ronald's Way', about the madcap adventures of Ronald, an air traffic controller with a paranoid fear that planes are going to crash into whereever he's located.

We've already nearly got a respectable afternoon schedule just on this forum. The rest of the day's programming can be filled with serene views of the Island set to pan pipe music, and Terry Cringle musing with gentle good humour on the question of why socks always go missing in the tumble drier.

Because you're a cheapskate and don't pay the tumble dryer pixies to look after them, it's your own fault.

The last time i left money in my pocket it came out all mashed, Ungrateful pixies, I'm just glad it was a pound note and not a tenner they wasted.

Would Pullyoiks replace Hollyoaks?

Stav.

Bloody hell you've no idea how often I've said that in my local :D "I'm telling you if you put that in a script they wouldn't believe it!"

The joys of living in a small village :)

The last time i left money in my pocket it came out all mashed, Ungrateful pixies, I'm just glad it was a pound note and not a tenner they wasted.

You people don't understand pixies at all do you! When was the last time you saw a pixie in the shop buying something? You mean you've never seen it? No neither have I, because pixies can't spend it. But what they can do is marvel at a coins shinyness, they don't do notes because they aren't pretty at all! So don't go thinking you can get away with putting your dull coins in either, they won't be impressed!

Archived