Interesting Questions

Stavros

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously Mr Gill didn't read my post apologising to the rest of the Isle of Man for voting for him, then.

Actually, this is ridiculous, we've been chewing the fat in forums on the Island since 1999 and suddenly, the press, and radio are reporting on our doings and questons are being asked in Tynwald and nothing that has been said has been that significant. Nobody's launched a revolution; nobody's been outed; and nobody's been hurt.

I only posted it on my homepage out of courtesy to Unisol. There isn't a political section on these boards and I'm sure we can all understand why.

I have no intention of causing pressure on Unisol and I just thought that as they were interesting questions and they were posted on a different site. It's an outside source and it's only been linked to from here. If anything is said that isn't liked, the only thing that can be shut down is my homepage.

Hence, The Offsite Rule

Stav.

Really, did they have the Internet in 1995?

The internet goes back ages, the web is more recent. I first had web access in 1994 through Demon in the UK. Used to take about 1 hour to get a connection some evenings it was that oversubscribed, but it was the only one offering "tenner a month" web access

I was involved in some sites back in 1995 that had local forums.

>>There isn't a political section on these boards and I'm sure we can all understand why.

Well not really. I didn't think there was anything OTT on the Manxonline forums.

Shame that we feel we can't discuss local politics openly. :(

Questions For Oral Answer

Question 1: "Isle of Man Online" (as Mr Gill calls it) have never had a forum which has been closed down, which in turn renders parts 2,3 & 4 of Question 1 unanswerable and makes Mr Gill look rather stupid.

Question 2: Fair question based upon the Government's dragging of feet and "Wait and See" policy regarding UK Legislation.

Question 3: The Rebate applied to Utilities was introduced to offset the "one off" unexpected surplus of VAT Receipts when the UK Government increased their rate (and thus ours) from 15 to 17.5%. By rebating Utilities, the surplus was filtered back to consumers over a period of time. It has been reported that the surplus has now been returned to consumers and so the rebate scheme is to end. Mt Houghton is asking if the scheme will continue, Will he make a suggestion as to where the public money will come from to pay it? Despite the recent Capital projects on the Island, there are still many projects awaiting funding. Mr Houghton's question appeals more to the grey vote than to working taxpayers.

Question 4: Parts 1 & 2 are reasonable questons. If a written contract exists (despite Mr Cretney already stating in public that Manx Radios interpertations of "exclusive" go beyond his (whatever that means??) then part 3 is attempting to draw a confession of forsaking common practices in the face of viable alternatives. If no written contract exists, then it shoots Manx Radio and their recent threatened legal action in the foot. By asking parts 4 & 5, Mr Cretney will be hard pushed to justify "exclusive" rights in the (expected) result that the contract wasn't offered for tender. Expect allegations of "Jobs for the boys".

Question 5: Mr Gill is really showing his inability to ask leading questions. The first part of the question can be answered with a simple "No", in which case part 2 is again irrelevent and can clearly go unanswered.

Question 6: A fair question.

Question 7: A fair question

Question 8: To have a number active "just in case" incurs expences. The charge applied is a service charge. How much MT charge would be a fair question, but that isn't what is being asked. If we have gas or electric meters, but don't use the service, we still pay a Standing Charge. I personally don't understand which part of MT's policy he is struggling with.

Question 9: This question could also be answered with a siple "No" although it will receive a more elaborate answer. If the respondant was daft enough to reply "Yes", then one would ask "Well why haven't you?".

If these are the best questions that our 24 Elected Representatives can come up with between them, then it really must be holiday time on the Isle of Man. I hope the supplimentary questions that are lined up offer a bit more interest that the majority thus far published.

Written Questions

Question 1: Fair question

Question 2: Asking for written answer to the same question already asked in the House for oral answer by the same person (Q8). Why?

Question 3: Mr Gill was obviously bored one day and wondered what he could do to liven up his own life. This question should have been for oral answer INSTEAD of any or all of the questions that he did ask.

I only posted it on my homepage out of courtesy to Unisol.

Stav.

Stav, I queried it because I thought you had designed your own questions for a laugh (ever the joker that you are!) and the first question was just so funny. :P

I'll not stop discussing politics openly. It's everyones right to do so.

It's a shame Mr Gills questions are innacurate. Isn't it also odd to ask questions about a private company, manx telecom, in government? Why doesn't he just write to them himeslf and ask them why they shut their forums down?

Archived