Drive Kill Walk Away

manx driver

It is hard to comment on a tragedy like this, but I have to agree with The Old Git, Mr Galka made a terrible error of judgment, but if seatbelts had been worn the outcome could have been totally different.

It is something that will live with him for the rest of his life.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortuantely the poor girl's mother will also have to live with thoughts of "what if I'd worn my seat belt?"

I hope it doesn't screw either of them up.

It must be terrible to lose a loved one in such circumstances, with no chance to tell them how much you love them or say goodbye.

Unfortuantely the poor girl's mother will also have to live with thoughts of "what if I'd worn my seat belt?"

I hope it doesn't screw either of them up.

It must be terrible to lose a loved one in such circumstances, with no chance to tell them how much you love them or say goodbye.

very true, my thoughts are with the familys of all concerned.

I think to go back as far as the 1700s is pushing your point a bit. Your list does not tell us an awful lot though.

it tells us that, contrary to your unsupported assertion, it is not usual for second Deemsters to have been Attorney General. It also tells us that sometimes second Deemsters have served as Attorney General.

OK you're a dyed in the wool establishment man.

I have learned it is much more effective to argue for change within the rules set by the establishment.

In the case of this tragic accident I have noted the Attorney General has it within his power to appeal the sentence.

But even you have to agree that it is not always wise to throw such a responsible position straight onto an advocate.

Oh, and I realise it is an extremely difficult task. If you wish to draw insinuation that is up to you.

First, I am glad you have chosen to edit your post in order to remove a highly controversial and totally unsupported allegation.

Secondly, you are mistaken in your unsupported assertion that I have to agree with your point of view.

For the record, I do not believe it unwise, generally, for an advocate to be made Second Deemster.

I had always thought ,anyhow, the post was only open to qualified advocates but I would personally prefer all Deemsters to be made accountable, via elections, to the people. This is a system which operates well in some other areas of the world.

Presumably, as you seem to have little confidence in advocates, you would prefer a second Deemster to be drawn from another profession ?

The fact of the matter is that sentencing is a matter for the courts. This is a system which has stood the test of time. The law recognises there may be occasions when a sentence is perhaps too lenient or too severe. in those circumstances the law provides for an appeal to be heard.

I cant imagine why you would have a problem with this.

If I have understood the situation correctly it is still open to the Attorney General to appeal this tragic case.

Clearly some of the people who have posted on this forum would support such an appeal.

ChopleyTurnip,

Just a note about what you said. The point of collision was just before the slight outward bend on the Ramsey side of the mountain mile. Travelling from Douglas, and reaching about 2 thirds down the mile, there is a blind spot on the other side of the road where you cannot briefly see any oncoming traffic, where I have personally witnessed cars begin to overtake believing it was clear ahead, only to move swiftly back into their own lane when a car appeared coming from Ramsey out of this 'kink' in the road. The collision was reported to have occured at 46mph (after braking). It really hits home when you realise that it MAY make a world of difference owning a car which is rated 5 stars for safety. I watched a 40mph head on collision (on fifth gear?) with a scenic or megane, and the driver was able to walk away without any significant injury. We have a scenic, and it's only after hearing about this that you think that the advertising that Renault does is not just hype.

I totally agree, there is a blind spot which has nearly caught me out on a couple of occasions but having travelled on the road many times, which I doubt the lad from Onchan has, I knew it was blind despite it looking as though its clear.

I feel it was just a very unfortunate accident which may have been avoided if the DOT had either straightened the road by cutting the hedge back or by putting double white lines on the road.

I totally agree, there is a blind spot which has nearly caught me out on a couple of occasions but having travelled on the road many times, which I doubt the lad from Onchan has, I knew it was blind despite it looking as though its clear.

I feel it was just a very unfortunate accident which may have been avoided if the DOT had either straightened the road by cutting the hedge back or by putting double white lines on the road.

Well said that man!

If anything good is to come out of this tragic affair perhaps the authorities would do well to consider if perhaps some adjustments to the road or its boundaries might improve safety.

Perhaps money should have been spent there instead of Windy Corner?

Sounds like something needs to be done as it seems like quite a few people are getting caught out by it and we now know it can have fatal consequences.

Edit to add, does anyone know if this blind spot was mentioned in the court case? I wonder if the authorities are aware of it, I certainly wasn't until now.

If you are going to go into hyperbole about 'blind' spots, then there must be hundreds, of 'blind' spots on the Island.

Driving really isn't that difficult - look at the road in front of you and drive on it accordingly. If you can't see the road slow down or stop. It really is that easy.

Regarding seat belts. How does anyone know what might have happened if someone had been wearing a seatbelt. You simply don't know.

If you are going to go into hyperbole about 'blind' spots, then there must be hundreds, of 'blind' spots on the Island.

Driving really isn't that difficult - look at the road in front of you and drive on it accordingly. If you can't see the road slow down or stop. It really is that easy.

Yes, it should be easy, and yet forum members that travel over the mountain regularly have stated that they has seen cars get caught out by this one on a number of occasions.

Regarding seat belts. How does anyone know what might have happened if someone had been wearing a seatbelt. You simply don't know.

No, but if everyone in the collision survived except the one who had been hit by an unbelted rear passenger then there is the possibility that she may well have survived if the rear seat passenger had been wearing a belt.

Yes, it should be easy, and yet forum members that travel over the mountain regularly have stated that they has seen cars get caught out by this one on a number of occasions.

No, but if everyone in the collision survived except the one who had been hit by an unbelted rear passenger then there is the possibility that she may well have survived if the rear seat passenger had been wearing a belt.

So Old Git it was both the lack of seat belt and the blind spot in the road that caused the death was it? Why then did the court find the defendant guilty of death by dangerous driving? Why not dismiss the charge and blame the road and the seatbelt? In addition to this Galka should not have pleaded guilty to the charge if it was so obviously not his fault?

What should be done now to prevent a re-occurrence? Simplest and cheapest thing would be to paint some no overtaking line markings and introduce a speed limit before the lines to warn of the approaching danger area (both directions of course).

A more expensive option would be to alter the road layout, which would result in road closures etc whilst work is carried out.

What about all the other corners and ‘blind spots’ on the Island? We must take similar action on these areas too if we are to prevent innocent drivers from killing people by legally overtaking on ‘unsuitable roads’.

So Old Git it was both the lack of seat belt and the blind spot in the road that caused the death was it?

Galka caused the accident. The girl died from a broken neck as a result of her unrestrained mother being flung forward. That was the finding of the court. Do you disagree with that?

Why then did the court find the defendant guilty of death by dangerous driving?

I'd presume that police though that was a suitable charge. Did Glaka deliberately set out that day intending to cause death by dangerous driving or was it an accident? Accidents do happen, sometimes to careful, experienced drivers. I've been rear ended by a police car.

What should be done now to prevent a re-occurrence? Simplest and cheapest thing would be to paint some no overtaking line markings and introduce a speed limit before the lines to warn of the approaching danger area (both directions of course).

A more expensive option would be to alter the road layout, which would result in road closures etc whilst work is carried out.

I don't mind, but I'd like to see it looked at, given the other reports of people doing similar overtaking manoevers there, not realising that part of the carriage way there is obscured

I agree Galka caused the incident.

So you were rear ended by a police car, so what. What if the force of the impact had caused the death of your daughter would you expect the police driver to walk free from court because accidents happen, even to experienced drivers?

I look forward to your campaign to have all the blind spots and corners on the roads made into no overtaking zones, with suitable speed limits in place before them warning of the impending danger zones of course.

So you were rear ended by a police car, so what. What if the force of the impact had caused the death of your daughter would you expect the police driver to walk free from court because accidents happen, even to experienced drivers?

I don't believe that there should be an automatic jail sentence in every case of a death on the roads

I suspect that is probably the only point we really differ on.

I look forward to your campaign to have all the blind spots and corners on the roads made into no overtaking zones, with suitable speed limits in place before them warning of the impending danger zones of course.

You're trying to put words in my mouth, please don't bother.

I think everyone is going to have differing views on the accident.

There are a number of views in that whilst he made an error of judgement and shouldn't have overtaken, there remains the issue that if the mother had been wearing a seatbelt the daughter would most likely be alive.

And I agree with other posts saying that he has to live with the fact that he caused someones death.

I do agree with The Old Git in that every case has to be considered and you can't dish out jail sentences left right and centre for deaths on the road.

It does highlight though that people need to improve their driving standards and that maybe the all island speed limit wouldn't necessarily stop people driving badly and taking risks that cause serious accidents.

It shows that it doesn't matter how long you've been driving you can still take stupid risks that could be fatal.

Archived