Horse Trams

Roger Smelly

So the odds are roughly 59 million to one of you getting 'inconvenienced'.

That's the worst conclusion ever, every 2 or 3 times I drive on the prom I pass a horse tram. I wasn't complaining that people can't pass them I was complaining that some people DON'T go past them. Perhaps if they painted the arrows back on the side of the trams it would encourage people to go through the gap that is plenty big enough.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bloody tourict attraction, like the London Eye, Blackpool trams, Falkirk wheel and Brighton Pier. It's not meant to make a profit in itself. It brings in punters for the fast diminishing holiday business.

..but the deficit shouldn't just be funded by Douglas ratepayers...

..I'm sure I've seen referenec to the Promenade roadway being re-surfaced etc in 2009?? has anyon eyet seen the plans?? Also, what's going to happen to the historic bits of road-way that visulayy document the various war time camps?

Do you mean the squares of in-fill tarmac where the posts for the fencing used to be, MCB? I thought they had all been covered up years ago.

Time for a change i reckon.

Community Service Chav Trams.

Dangle blue WKD in front and off you go.

Good idea although I like the horse trams how they are.

I don't really like horses, nor use the trams, and yes they can cause a bit of a tailback when an idiot is driving directly behind and won't go past but so what.

There are so many things of historic interest that are knackered & gone for good now that it's nice to at least keep a few of them. Yes ok they might be losing money and there are always arguments along the lines of "that could be spent saving blind autistic cats" or something but it's not like that would happen anyway as it would just be spent on some massive new project that isn't required instead.

I'm a douglas ratepayer too and I don't mind either. I'd rather something traditional was maintained than the money goes on some other mercenary money making thing as most things seem purely orientated around these days.

If it were'nt for the horse trams there would be no home for old horses. In case you didnt know it has or was voted No. 1 tourist attraction

Sad aint it that that is the best we can offer to tourists but I guess thats another topic.

The horse home was voted our number 1 tourist attraction? Who were the voters?

Wacky stuff.....

Tsch! The Horses' home is at least a million times better than some old water wheel, or the creepy waxworks at the House of Manannan (celts! Vikings! And then, er... boats).

with the IOM losing the derugation regarding meat imports there will surely be lots of beef cattle that won't be needed..so is there going to be a home for old cows???

Well there was but then they demolished The Cave. I suppose the closest you'll get now is upstairs in Paramount

The only problem with them is when people don't go past them and the result is about 3 dozen cars travelling at less than 10MPH. I think that they need to be more of a novelty, let's be honest does any use them as a practical form of transport?? If not run them less frequently.
One point here, when I came over I had no idea what to do mainly having come from a contry side area we are taught to give horses a wide bearth, no rev engines etc... plus trying to get pat one of those things is not easy. That been said if there was a sign on the back of these things to give off island drivers a clue what to do you might stop the que's forming.

Terran

Archived