No Speed Limit

Ringwraith

Someone on the forum was recently boasting he was travelling at 160 mph on the Mountain Road. He also complained a car driver had failed to notice his approach and moved into his path.

It was unsettling, to say the least, to subsequently discover, he had little or no perception of the possible consequences of high speed driving or motor cycle riding preferring to focus on the efficiency of his braking system.

I dont support blanket speed limits but I do have a problem reconciling that position with reckless adventures such as that described above.

Given the speed limit is a non starter how does the Island deal with a culture which seems to accept exceptionally high speeds on narrow roads as a norm [even if only at certain times of the year] ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone on the forum was recently boasting he was travelling at 160 mph on the Mountain Road. He also complained a car driver had failed to notice his approach and moved into his path.

It was unsettling, to say the least, to subsequently discover, he had little or no perception of the possible consequences of high speed driving or motor cycle riding preferring to focus on the efficiency of his braking system.

I dont support blanket speed limits but I do have a problem reconciling that position with reckless adventures such as that described above.

Given the speed limit is a non starter how does the Island deal with a culture which seems to accept exceptionally high speeds on narrow roads as a norm [even if only at certain times of the year] ?

I think you'll also find that the particular story you are relating there occurred on the mountain on mad sunday whilst the roads were one way, which you've failed to mention.

I think you'll also find that the particular story you are relating there occurred on the mountain on mad sunday whilst the roads were one way, which you've failed to mention.

The roads were one way but it was still being used by other motorists and was not an organised race.

The roads were one way but it was still being used by other motorists and was not an organised race.

Not disputing that at all but everyone knows what it's like on the mountain on mad sunday. You could reasonably argue in my opinon that a car driver should have been looking out for motorbikes travelling at extremely high speeds.

Not disputing that at all but everyone knows what it's like on the mountain on mad sunday. You could reasonably argue in my opinon that a car driver should have been looking out for motorbikes travelling at extremely high speeds.

bikes, on the mountain road, on mad sunday???? are you having a laugh?

garlic bread springs to mind

And that sir is precisely the point I was making.

How do we deal with a culture which lacks perception to the extent that a patently unsustainable argument can be put forward as reasonable ?

No one could reasonably argue it is acceptable for someone to travel on public roads at such a speed he is totally reliant on other road users for his safety.

And that sir is precisely the point I was making.

How do we deal with a culture which lacks perception to the extent that a patently unsustainable argument can be put forward as reasonable ?

No one could reasonably argue it is acceptable for someone to travel on public roads at such a speed he is totally reliant on other road users for his safety.

I don't think you can use a mad sunday story - which is very possibly exaggerated in terms of speed and closeness of incident - as a basis for the point you say you are making.

I don't think you can use a mad sunday story - which is very possibly exaggerated in terms of speed and closeness of incident - as a basis for the point you say you are making.

How about if I use your own argument then ?

Not disputing that at all but everyone knows what it's like on the mountain on mad sunday.

Are you perhaps conceding it is a tad dangerous on Manx Roads at certain times ?

Would that be because of people travelling at very high speeds ?

All I am asking is how do we deal with a culture which accepts patently reckless and dangerous driving as reasonable ?

How about if I use your own argument then ?

Not disputing that at all but everyone knows what it's like on the mountain on mad sunday.

Are you perhaps conceding it is a tad dangerous on Manx Roads at certain times ?

Would that be because of people travelling at very high speeds ?

All I am asking is how do we deal with a culture which accepts patently reckless and dangerous driving as reasonable ?

My one and only point was that you relayed your story but you missed off one crucial part of it which was the fact that it took place on mad sunday on the mountain blah blah.

Lonewolf, unfortunately, many ignorant manx drivers go onto the mountain road on mad sunday and drive at 30mph; why?

Common answers have included.

"I live here, I can do what I like"

"I pay my road tax, it is my right"

And the best one was..

"Do you want to see the video of the biker who fell off as I was on the apex of the bend and he had to try to go round me and lowsided into the hedge" (Yes, I could name the guy who took that video from the back seat of his uncle's Toyota landcruiser which was basically parked on the bend above Kate's Cottage...but I won't)

Most bikers on Madsunday are pulling 100mph+, anyone who uses that stretch of road on that day with the intention of driving at under 70mph should get a F****** CLUE.

Obviously, you have carried out some detailed research into this subject, in order to establish the nationalities of these drivers and their answers to your frequently asked questions......

Tell me, did you take the time to consult any members of the emergency services who have many years of first hand experience of this particular piece of TT pastime?

They may well be of the opinion that having a 'mix' of traffic prevents it from becoming exactly what they don't want - an out and out racetrack.

I would be interested to know.

Archived