No Speed Limit

Ringwraith

Ok - here is a interesting theory I heard in the pub the other night.

Braidwood has said a couple of times that he does not support a speed limit. If you opposed the speed limit and wanted to kill it off what would be a good way of doing it ?

How about spending some tax payers money to put out a slanted consultancy document that winds enough people up to make sure that the vote comes back opposing the speed limit but actually looks like you were trying to bring in a speed limit.

Then you put a speed camera in the wrong place so it clearly isn't going to get any public support.

In one move he has managed to get the results that supported his viewpoint, has managed to keep safety cameras away and has started up a highly motivated group of people in the form of SID.

Perhaps there is more to this than we thought....

You might have something there. Let's, for the sake of arguement, say the tide of public opinion is moving towards an all-Island speed limit and as a Government minister you are aware of this. Now if you are opposed to a speed limit and you can conduct an consultation just before the pros begin to outnumber the antis. You can then present the result as the settled will of the people for the forseeable future and scupper any subsequent attempts to introduce a limit.

But that may require more thought and cunning than Mr Braidwood has previously been noted for.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye right, I see wot you mean, so he is really bluffing.

Although I actually had a theory that he was double bluffing but that would mean he was in reality for a speed limit wouldn't it. Maybe he is triple bluffing. I had the thought processes for that in my head and once I've written them down I'll be right back to explain how it goes.

So I'm guessing that "high speed driving, which is patently dangerous and reckless" isn't a criticism of high speed driving per se - just the examples of it which ARE dangerous and reckless??

Give that man a coconut. That is exactly what I have been saying !

More specifically I have criticised a culture which lacks perception to the extent patently reckless and dangerous driving is defended as acceptable.

So I'm guessing that "high speed driving, which is patently dangerous and reckless" isn't a criticism of high speed driving per se - just the examples of it which ARE dangerous and reckless??

Give that man a coconut. That is exactly what I have been saying !

More specifically I have criticised a culture which lacks perception to the extent patently reckless and dangerous driving is defended as acceptable.

It's a valid point but I would suggest that it's not a culture as it's a very small minority of drivers who would fall in this category. Although technically I suppose it's a culture for these people. I've confused myself now.... :unsure:

It's a valid point but I would suggest that it's not a culture as it's a very small minority of drivers who would fall in this category. Although technically I suppose it's a culture for these people. I've confused myself now.... :unsure:

They must all be posting on this forum then :rolleyes:

Taken from a press release today, this may be of interest to those following the Safer Driving debates

The Assistant Chief Examiner of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM), Stephen Mead, is to visit the Isle of Man on Thursday 6th July. The local group of Isle of Man Advanced Motorists have arranged for him to give a talk at the TT Hospitality Suite at 7.30pm which is open to everyone interested in driving or motorcycling. The Hospitality Suite is located in the Grandstand complex on Glencrutchery Road and there is ample parking nearby.

Also, Isle of Man Police and Fire and Rescue Service vehicles are to be liveried with the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) logo. Although a similar association was established between the IAM and the North Wales Police last year, the Isle of Man is the first place where the IAM logo will be displayed by both the Police and Fire & Rescue Services. The association illustrates the mutual aim all three organisations to improve road safety by raising the standards of drivers and motorcyclists on the Island. There has been much discussion recently about reducing the number of serious accidents on our roads, largely centred on the debate over a proposed national speed limit, but the one factor which all parties seem to agree on is the most likely route to succeed is through better training for drivers and riders. The IAM (which marks its 50th anniversary this year) is the UK's largest dedicated road safety charity which saves lives on the road by enabling people to develop better driving skills. It is the leading provider of advanced driving tests for private motorists and is now the UK’s largest supplier of risk management and driver training for fleet operators. Since 1956, nearly half a million drivers and riders have passed the advanced driving test.

The Isle of Man IAM group can be contacted on 432555 or by e-mail at IOMAM@manx.net.

To catch drivers putting their foot down while still inside the 40mph limit at Hillberry?

To catch drivers doing 140 coming from the Creg towards Brandish?

How many guesses do I get? :P

There was a policeman at Brandish corner yesterday around 7.15pm waving his speed gun at people - why? It's a de-restricted road.

Going by how many other roads have suddenly become restricted...my guess would be collating data to be used as an argument for extending the Hillberry limit (changing the TT fortnight 'temporary limit' to a permanent one).

Also, Isle of Man Police and Fire and Rescue Service vehicles are to be liveried with the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) logo.

I am absolutely staggered to hear that the police are in any way associated with the IAM. Apart from the times when they are hammering along with sirens blaring and blue lights flashing, they are among the most incompetent and inconsiderate motorists on the island's roads.

People will continue to be killed and injured on our roads - but don't dare lay the blame on those of us who have opposed a fundamentally flawed course of action.

I'm afraid you don't have a right to tell me what to think. You've campaigned against the limit for no other reason than that you like driving fast. You've got to accept the consequences of that.

I don't think that the main point of the people against the speed limit is an urge to drive fast. I know one point they are making is the freedom to choose and make our own decisions but if you look at those people who do drive dangerously and cause fatal accidents they aren't going to pay any attention anyway. People who take notice of speed limits will adhere to a new limit but there will always those who think they are racing drivers and a speed limit won't change that. The case this week where a teenager was jailed for two years for killing a passenger in his car for instance. This was on an unrestricted road but had there been a speed limit in force do you really think he wouldn't have gone ahead and behaved like a **** and killed someone? No, it would have happened anyway.

Good point WWM, and much my same argument against the speed limit. But if there had been a speed limit he still would have been under it, assuming a 70 MPH limit for that road, (he was driving at a little over 60 MPH at the time of impact, apparently).

Good point WWM, and much my same argument against the speed limit. But if there had been a speed limit he still would have been under it, assuming a 70 MPH limit for that road, (he was driving at a little over 60 MPH at the time of impact, apparently).

Gladys, I know you aren't arguing with me, but just to put the record straight, the reason he was going just over 60 at the point of main impact is because he had been braking heavily to try and catch himself. The speed before this was nudging the 80 mark. Also, he was breaking his particular limit as he was on R plates two weeks after passing his test. Hey ho, we're back to that old chestnut again.

Archived