No Speed Limit

Ringwraith

Yes, but applying a ROAD limit isn't going to do anything for anyone intent on breaking their R limit. Same argument, I guess.

Funnily enough, a discussion started while I was out this evening about everyone's first cars. Most of those (about 10 involved in the conversation, age ranging from late twenties to mid to late forties, male and female, so a pretty wide range) told stories about how they had to contend with heaps and how you had to deal with the car's idiosyncracies.

I then told the story of a friend whose son had passed his test (in England) and both he and his wife decided the best thing to do would be to buy a brand new car for him on the basis that it will have all the safety features so if he is going to wrap it around a lamp post, at least it will have all the air bags, ABS etc. etc.

Anyway the upshot was, wouldn't it be better to give a real heap to a newly passed driver (road worthy of course) so that they have to learn about fiddling with the clutch in this gear, or some other mechanical nuisance that just makes them think about what they are driving rather than it being just another thing that responds perfectly when you turn the relevant knob up?

Just a thought...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but applying a ROAD limit isn't going to do anything for anyone intent on breaking their R limit. Same argument, I guess.

Funnily enough, a discussion started while I was out this evening about everyone's first cars. Most of those (about 10 involved in the conversation, age ranging from late twenties to mid to late forties, male and female, so a pretty wide range) told stories about how they had to contend with heaps and how you had to deal with the car's idiosyncracies.

I then told the story of a friend whose son had passed his test (in England) and both he and his wife decided the best thing to do would be to buy a brand new car for him on the basis that it will have all the safety features so if he is going to wrap it around a lamp post, at least it will have all the air bags, ABS etc. etc.

Anyway the upshot was, wouldn't it be better to give a real heap to a newly passed driver (road worthy of course) so that they have to learn about fiddling with the clutch in this gear, or some other mechanical nuisance that just makes them think about what they are driving rather than it being just another thing that responds perfectly when you turn the relevant knob up?

Just a thought...

With you all the way Gladys. We have had this conversation recently also. We all learnt to listen to the little things that told you that something was going to fall off or stop working. We then learnt how to deal with these issues, ranging from a good glug of water to get you home to jamming a butter knife in the solenoid (yes I really did)! Also the radio in my early car didn't even work so I could hear what was going on. With thumping stereos a wheel could be falling off and they wouldn't know until the car fell over. I think it is all part and parcel of being a driver, appreciating the vehicle and learning the basics. This goes a lot further than knowing how to park on the prom.

But there was a speed limit, by virtue of the fact he was a newly qualified driver he was limited to 50mph. A speed limit or restriction which he chose to deliberately ignore.

See the first sentence of post no. 110. This thread is about the speed limit, there is another thread about the culpability of recently convicted dangerous driving offenders.

Archived