Dear Mr Shimmin

steven !

Dear Mr Shimmin

There’s not much for me on this Island anymore.

I ‘m not a bread head.

I don’t get off on materialism.

I don’t get a thrill out of dealing in the grey area.

I don’t do corruption.

I don’t strive to boost my ego.

Such things appear to be part of the make-up of the Island these days.

But one thing that I enjoy about our Island is the freedom to be able to fire up my motorbike and go for a ride over the mountain and other such roads. At a speed I find safe and enjoyable. I don’t do it often but it is a good feeling to be able to do so at any time, should I choose.

By imposing a 60mph speed limit throughout this land is taking away something that is very precious to me. And many, many others.

You will be alienating us from the police and we will become a high-potential target for them. Up until the time as such a speed limit is introduced I have no problem with authority.

An all Island speed limit is an imposition too far.

Regards

Steven !

PS while I'm on one, could you ask lazy Taxi drivers to stop beeping their horns when they pick up lazy people as it displays their extreme arrogance and disturbs the neighbourhood. It isn't a very nice practice. Thank you.

(Apologies to those forum people who are fed up with discussing All Island Speed Limit)

Again, what need does anyone who lives on an Island as small as the Isle Of Man need to be driving at more than 60MPH? A big white van nearly crashed into me by Jurby last week, I was driving slowly enough to take evasive action (drove up the hedge, car is fine) but he 'slammed all on' and headed straight for me. No need for speed peops, chill and take it easy on the roads.

Don't forget that if you feel stongly about the Speed Limit proposals (and all the other rubbish on that Road Safety Initiative Document) tomorrow is the day all letters must be received by.

Send to:

Road Safety Initiative Committee

Department of Transport

Highways division

Sea Terminal building

Douglas

Isle of Man

80% of us are against the limits, so let them know about it!

Don't let us be pushed into a democratic dictatorship.

80% of us are against the limits, so let them know about it!

Don't let us be pushed into a democratic dictatorship.

Please show me where that 'statistic' was gathered. I know I wasn't asked, nor anyone else in this house. Just because they asked 10 TT spectators, and 2 of them were too stupid to understand the question (bikers, sheesh) so they answered no, doesn't make it 80% of the Island.

Well I got it from here.

It's not set in stone, it was only a poll, although from talking to various people I would put the figure at around that myself. There's certainly a big majority against it.

There have been two other polls relating to the speed limits on iomonline, and they both put the figure at approx 70%.

Thet poll results can be found here.

I stopped reading that article after I saw 'In a recent poll conducted by Motor Cycle News...'

I've never been asked to vote in a poll, perhaps because I don't wander round motercycle paddocks or read TT websites. They're hardly an average slice of the population.

IOM Governments Road Safety Initiative Proposals

Can be read here

From the Introduction:

These objectives include the controversial subject of a maximum speed limit for the Island, but if the target reduction of 2% per annum of road traffic accidents, particularly fatal and serious accidents, is to be achieved, it will require a considerable commitment on the part of Government and the public, but a safe environment must be everyone's goal

The conjunction "but" (my bold emphasis here and above) at the beginning of a statement requires a subsequent objection. Instead there is a further statement followed by another but and then yet another statement. The word should be used to link two ideas that are in opposition.

But what and but what, I ask?

This really is a bit of 'hifaluting' goobledygook spin-doctoring. The report is reasonably well written but when the introduction contains this style of writing it doesn't half set the tone.

Furthermore (p23):

Since 1993 more motorcycles than cars were involved in fatal accidents in the Isle of Man

76 cars were involved in fatal accidents

77 motorcycles were involved in fatal accidents

715 cars were involved in serious accidents

535 motorcycles were involved in serious accidents

The report goes on to say
The figures highlight the dangers of motorcycling and every effort will be made to reduce the number of casualties in the future.

So yes indeed, the figures clearly show just how evil motorcyclists are.

I won't bore everyone with more of this analysis.

mmmhh, but maybe I will . . . maybe I will.

Archived