Dear Mr Shimmin

steven !

I stopped reading that article after I saw 'In a recent poll conducted by Motor Cycle News...'

Shame, because if you had read further you would have reached the part I was actually referring to:

Isle of Man Newspapers also carried out a poll, which showed that 80% of the population are against the introduction of an all-Island limit.

Edit: on Manx Radio today it was reported the deadline for expressing your views on these proposals has now been extended to 17th Sep.

Edit: on Manx Radio today it was reported the deadline for expressing your views on these proposals has now been extended to 17th Sep.

He, not gathered enough support then. Promising.

On the contrary I suspect.

I was hearing on manx radio this morning (can't remember who it was) going on about how indeed the 'majority' of the local population don't want new limits, how they can't even enforce the existing ones properly, how people seem to think in general that things like restricting power of the vehicles for R plate drivers etc would be far more effective at reducing accidents and so on.

I could well be mistaken but I'm reasonably sure they were saying this was the outcome of peoples' letters so far, expressing their views to the powers that be.

It still remains of course that even if Mr Shimmin gets an overwhelming tide of 'we don't want a speed limit' opinion & reasoning, he can still easily just turn round and say tough, you're getting one anyway so any speculation either way is just that.

It still remains of course that even if Mr Shimmin gets an overwhelming tide of 'we don't want a speed limit' opinion & reasoning, he can still easily just turn round and say tough, you're getting one anyway so any speculation either way is just that.

You are probably right.

The funny thing was that I read Anss (how do you say the post belonging to Ans ?)post the other way with the 'he' referring to Mr Shimmin not receiving enough support.

The funny thing was that I read Anss (how do you say the post belonging to Ans ?)post the other way with the 'he' referring to Mr Shimmin not receiving enough support.

It was a silent H at the end, or something.

IOM Governments Road Safety Initiative Proposals

Can be read here

From the Introduction:

These objectives include the controversial subject of a maximum speed limit for the Island, but if the target reduction of 2% per annum of road traffic accidents, particularly fatal and serious accidents, is to be achieved, it will require a considerable commitment on the part of Government and the public, but a safe environment must be everyone's goal

The conjunction "but" (my bold emphasis here and above) at the beginning of a statement requires a subsequent objection. Instead there is a further statement followed by another but and then yet another statement. The word should be used to link two ideas that are in opposition.

But what and but what, I ask?

This really is a bit of 'hifaluting' goobledygook spin-doctoring. The report is reasonably well written but when the introduction contains this style of writing it doesn't half set the tone.

Furthermore (p23):

Since 1993 more motorcycles than cars were involved in fatal accidents in the Isle of Man

76 cars were involved in fatal accidents

77 motorcycles were involved in fatal accidents

715 cars were involved in serious accidents

535 motorcycles were involved in serious accidents

The report goes on to say
The figures highlight the dangers of motorcycling and every effort will be made to reduce the number of casualties in the future.

So yes indeed, the figures clearly show just how evil motorcyclists are.

I won't bore everyone with more of this analysis.

mmmhh, but maybe I will . . . maybe I will.

HOW MANY BIKE ACCIDENTS WERE CAUSED BY CAR DRIVERS, CAN WE HAVE THOSE STATS PLEASE

Speed Cameras are now called Safety Cameras.

Although I suppose its right enough.

A parking ticket should really be called a 'consideration for others ticket' or something like that.

However, the phrase for today is "Safety Camera". It's quite a cuddly phrase really.

Archived