Road Safety, Dot Should Practise What It Preaches

Silentbob

As some of you are well aware, I have nothing but contempt for the DoT, and their latest 'half a job' is a cracker. If you cast your minds back to a couple of months ago, the Old Castletown Road had the silliest conveived road markings on the Island.

giveway.jpg

Of course, this lead people to barrel arse down the hill, as they knew oncoming cars would have to stop. It also allowed ignorant motorists exiting the Marine Drive road a reason to pull out in front of southbound traffic.

Well, the DoT saw the error of their ways, and decided to put it back the way it was...almost.

halfgiveway.jpg

As you can see, all the barriers, and vertical signage have been removed, yet many weeks after this has happened, the road markings for the give way remain.

halffromsouth.jpg

Sorry for the far away pic, batteries ran out before I could zoom in. But from Oak Hill, it 'looks' as if the give way is still in place, and I have met many irate drivers on the bridge over the past few weeks who were expecting me to give way to them so they could 'straightline' through the bridge at speed. They were sorely mistaken.

I complained to the DoT about this a week before TT week, and after yet another near miss this evening, called the police to clarify the situation.

"For a road marking to be enforced it must have the appropriate vertical sign, without this, the road marking in itself is meaningless"

Try telling this to the Douglas bound motorists.

The police, and my local politician have both had their ears bent tonight, and I am sure this will be resolved shortly, but in closing...

DoT - Department of Triers

I was up there on Sunday, coming from Douglas direction and couldn't believe the amount of street furniture there. I wish I'd had my camera as I thought it made an excellent photo. Something like 3 or 4 roadsigns in a row plus a speed limit sign iirc.

And when you take the road markings into account too, it all looks rather silly.

the blocks at QB are more a hinderence, you cannot see the indicators on vehicles unless you are in a truck/4x4.

I think they are afraid that drivers might recognise each other and crash into each other whilst trying to shake hands.

Now if only they could get rid of those lego blocks at the quarterbridge. We all seemed to cope well enough over TT week.

Exactly my thoughts Terry, what purpose do they serve?

I would have thought the purpose was obvious.

People who drive Citroen C5 cars can show off by jacking up the suspension so they can see over them.

Eurocars put them there for that purpose.

Archived