What's The Cost Of A Bag?

manxchatterbox

This from the Irish Independent Newspaper today - why can't IOM Govt inftroduce such a levy - why do they only follow on what's done in Westminster and not the Dial?? Is it because they need the high calorific value of plastic bags to fuel the inceinerator???

The plastic bag levy will rise to 19c this summer.

Shoppers will have to fork out the equivalent of a 26pc hike at the till. Bags currently cost 15c.

The Government move comes after the scourge of the Irish countryside started to make a comeback.

Some stores had stopped charging the levy and were giving plastic bags out for free.

Shoppers are expected to pick up some 130 million plastic bags this year.

Environment Minister Dick Roche has instructed his department to bring in the increase, the Irish Independent has learned.

"I'm going to shove up this levy," Mr Roche said yesterday.

Under current legislation, there is a levy cap of 19c. But the minister is to ask the Dail to approve an even bigger rise in the toll, if necessary.

"I'm prepared to look for an even higher levy in the twenties," he said.

The minister said he was optimistic the 19c levy would be in place by the end of the summer.

He said the increase would discourage shops from handing plastic bags out for free.

"The levy has been a huge success story," said Mr Roche. "Before 2002 we used an incredible 1.2 billion plastic bags every year. We have now reduced their use by 95pc." Mr Roche sent out a warning to retailers who flouted the levy.

"I want to send out a message to shops which give them out for free, that you will end up paying and have a day in court."

The levy rise follows concerns at the number of bags being handed out for free in some shops, and a big increase in shoppers buying them. The 15c levy on bags was introduced in 2002, in a bid to deter consumers using them unnecessarily.

The campaign was a success, and usage fell by at least 90pc, and removed over 1 billion bags from the countryside and landfills. However, the amount of money stores have accrued from selling bags has risen over the past five years since the levy was introduced, indicating that shoppers are returning to their bad habits.

During 2002 some €7.101m was taken in plastic bags (the levy was introduced in March), €12.657m in 2003, €13.498m in 2004 and €17.526m in 2005.

It is expected that the toll could add up to €20m this year, with the sale of up to 130m bags.

Wow - MCB posts a vaild question - don't see that very often *marks day in calendar*

The idea of a bag-charge on the Island has already been mentioned in environmental circles, and I actually hope it is going to be considered at some point.

If the money taken by such a system would then go towards environmental causes, such as cleaning up the beaches and preserving the Manx Countryside, then that would be ideal...

BTW: It's not only the Irish that do this - Germany introduced a bag-charge years and years ago, and I even dare to say that most of Europe is lightyears ahead when it comes to environmental issues, such as recycling, etc - a field in which the island should try to catch up as quickly as possible, imo...

totally agree they bags should be recycled as well tesco do this but not sure about shoprite (im the bread winner not the bread purchaser!)

they should also give out bins for use in your home to separate paper, glass and aluminum. recycling is fun where else can you go and smash a load of glass without getting in trouble!

Agree totally about a bag tax.

You will get certain people that re-use bags and others that will refuse them and carry what they buy but it's amazing how many people demand a bag, even for the smallest of purchases.

I always ask people if they want one, rather than automatically hand them out and if it's something small, I'll give them a small paper bag rather than a carrier.

Old people tend to be the worst culprits too, they used to be really good because they'd have their shopping trolley or a sturdy shopping bag / basket but obviously the new generation of crusties are too cool to be seen carrying anything like that so just take loads of carrier bags instead.

Packaging is OTT & is bad for the environment. My orrid teenager required these Microchip things while we were shopping one day, imagine how pleased I was to see each chip slotted into a cardboard thing, coated in PVC and full of 'who knows what' chemicals, suffice to say it was the first & last time such an item entered our shopping trolley.

It isnt just platic bags that are a menace. Funny how the wonder items of the 70's are the scourge of today. Its like asbestos and DTT (or was it DDT?) nasty.

but obviously the new generation of crusties are too cool to be seen carrying anything like that so just take loads of carrier bags instead.

:lol:

I also agree about bag tax, There is so much waste, Only thing is, Can we afford the incinerator not to be running at all?, Its already on low capacity.

Hmm .. paying 20p for every plastic bag I use does seem a bit excessive however; especially as I reuse the bags to throw my rubbish in; and take the rest to Tesco for recycling.

What if the 20p was refunded when i took the bag for recycling?

Hmm .. paying 20p for every plastic bag I use does seem a bit excessive however; especially as I reuse the bags to throw my rubbish in; and take the rest to Tesco for recycling.

What if the 20p was refunded when i took the bag for recycling?

Well then its still creating waste, The point is to reuse the bags again and again till they are beyond use and then to recycle them.

As most people go shopping in the car anyway, why not just put your shopping back into the trolley and empty it into boxes in the boot (Those plastic collapsible boxes would be quite convenient.) The larger items like washing powder, bog rolls, kitchen rolls, cereal boxes etc are bulky enough to survive the drive home so only a couple of boxes would be needed and it wouldn't really take much longer as you'd save time at the checkout end anyway.

I wouldn't object to paying for plastic bags provided the supermarkets were forced to deduct the cost of providing them from their overheads and pass the savings on to the consumer.

Very valid question.

Alas the Island's environmental policy is years behind Europe and even the UK. There's a long way to go but a bag tax would be a step in the right direction.

I mean the only reason we can recycle plastic bags is because Tesco do it nationwide, nothing to do with the IOMG or DLGE.

I make sure I do me bit - always re-using bags at Tesco :)

Archived