Cheap Labour

Theskeat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I originally read your post as £1 to £36!

Also from that story

He resigned from Barclays Bank — where he was a senior manager — the day before his court appearance.

Van Rooyen appeared with fellow South African Jacobus Frederick Visser, 43, himself an illegal immigrant.

Seems really terrible somebody would actually do this and £1.36!

How could they live on that?

Get over it! Would you work for £1.36? no? then these people are hardly stealing your job are they? People who can afford to work for low wages are generally grateful just to have a job, how many of the high and mighty on here are grateful for their jobs?

Van Roooynen has been caught, I am quite sure there are plenty of people employing cheap foreign labour over here who haven't been caught....if the cap fits n all that.

Get over it! Would you work for £1.36? no? then these people are hardly stealing your job are they?

You could argue that they're stealing the jobs of local tradesmen who do the job at the going rate

What if your boss sacked you because he could employ some illegal immigrant to do your job for £1.36?

I'm not surprised at the illegal workers, I am surprised at a bank boss and church leader creating the scam to bring them in to save a few quid. Isn't greed on of the seven deadly sins?

Yes it could - articles in the Times and the Telegraph as well - so much for branding! Also, last night on Radio 4 programme at 5.00 p.m. with Eddie Mayer - a solicitor who works here going on about our one asylum seeker and how he's in prison and how we're building a lovely new facility - so look forward to lots of new asylum seekers coming here to fill it. Great branding!

You could argue that they're stealing the jobs of local tradesmen who do the job at the going rate

Not really, who sets this going rate? I cannot see how an unskilled job can have any set rate, there is the matter of a minimum wage but when you work outside of the law that becomes irrelevant. These people are living outside of the law becuase they are forced to.

I don't think my boss could, nor would replace me with a cheaper alternative, but if he could I wouldn't be too fussed. There are plenty of jobs to go around, people seem to forget that when the population rises the demand for services also increases.

Basically, you are scared of the future, in 50 generations there will be no silly race issues as everyone will be of the same colour. I wonder what language they'll speak.

Aw come on. These laws are in place to stop exploitation, they're here for a reason. Immigration laws to protect our local market and economy, local minimum wages to protect against exploitation. How can you defend someone who broke both of these laws?

Not really, who sets this going rate? I cannot see how an unskilled job can have any set rate, there is the matter of a minimum wage but when you work outside of the law that becomes irrelevant.

You'd normally employ a "manx worker" for any job. By importing illegals to do his work he was doing a "manx worker" out of that job. Presumably he was also doing the govt out of NI and tax

I don't think my boss could, nor would replace me with a cheaper alternative, but if he could I wouldn't be too fussed. There are plenty of jobs to go around, people seem to forget that when the population rises the demand for services also increases.

And if they were all being done by "illegals"? Or is it OK when there's only a few of them and you aren't affected?

Basically, you are scared of the future, in 50 generations

No, I'll be well gone in the next 40 years

You're missing my point. Who is being exploited? I am when a builder asks for £700 to do a bit of rendering. Local smokal, I'm Manx and I could argue the toss about English workers taking our jobs, but that is a futile argument. Face it, you are all being racist. People should be free to live where ever they want to and if a man from Thailand wants to come here and work for £20.00 a week it should be his call. The rules are set up to protect? I think the rules are set up to be broken by the people who are still exploiting people anyway.

Archived