Cheap Labour

Theskeat

imo all forum users should contact their MHK and ask if the MHK is a member of the Life Church IOM - is the MHK happy that Pieter van Rooyen isn't being deported - do they know why not - and would they petition the Minister for Home Affairs to deport the man after his jail term.

Lets get rid of this type of rubbish before his church activities bring even more disrepute on the Island.

It beggars belief as to how Barclays let him work for them with his other activities - surely this is because even with over 800 staff they don't have an effective HR department based here with everything going thro' the Barclays HR office in Poole, Dorset. Surely the Barclays MD should make a statement as to his own position as the person responsible for emplying such a high profile staff member. Quite how the FSC let Barclays continue to employ someone with such a high profile in a questionable alternate activity also requires answers.

Couldn't agree more. I'll vote for you

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its actually in the Times, the Sun and the Telegraph - what a brilliant advert for the Isle of Man "Loony preacher in illegal immigrant scam" the tabloids will love it!

If thats bad enough you want to look at the Life Church site - I've never seen such complete utter bollocks designed to draw in the vulnerable in before. Its putridly sickly in its message. He says that he has 800 members - thats 1% of the population of the Island who are chronically gullible / mad.

Hey, is that figure quoted from somewhere? I'm just curious. I've been to the lifechurch (only 3 weeks ago) just to see what it was like... and to see this pitiful Pastor preach... as it happens there were only 13 people there!! Where are the 800? That figure must be wrong... or if that's what the pastor claims himself... he's lying again.

Anyway... someone please tell me how this man got away with 3 months??! Does anyone really believe that he had no idea about the wages scam? He should have been tried for both. If he wasn't paying them close-to-nothing, why would he have imported them all the way from South Africa??

What a 'Man of God' he isn't.

Anyway... someone please tell me how this man got away with 3 months??!

3 months seems quite tough. It was obviously a bit naughty but it isn't so hugely important in the big scheme of things. We're only talking about someone bringing in people to work on the sly. I'm sure that lots have people here have worked on the black, here or abroad, over the years past.

Or been paid in cash - which is a roughly equivalent crime. Hardly big stuff. The only thing which really makes this into a story is his preacher status.

**IMO***

We're only talking about someone bringing in people to work on the sly. I'm sure that lots have people here have worked on the black (!!!!), here or abroad, over the years past.

..... Hardly big stuff. The only thing which really makes this into a story is his preacher status.

No .... somebody in a position of trust, holding a senior position in the finance sector, and in the hearts and minds (if they have any) of his flock, being accused of fabricating documents, offering false references to circumvent immigration, and then making workers he knows are illegal work on the sly for 1.36 per hour is not such a big deal.

What are we thinking of! We should have let him off with a caution and given him a DTI grant for entreprenurial spirit.

We're only talking about someone bringing in people to work on the sly. I'm sure that lots have people here have worked on the black (!!!!), here or abroad, over the years past.

..... Hardly big stuff. The only thing which really makes this into a story is his preacher status.

No .... somebody in a position of trust, holding a senior position in the finance sector, and in the hearts and minds (if they have any) of his flock, being accused of fabricating documents, offering false references to circumvent immigration, and then making workers he knows are illegal work on the sly for 1.36 per hour is not such a big deal.

What are we thinking of! We should have let him off with a caution and given him a DTI grant for entreprenurial spirit.

think it's one of those things where even if he just got a fine, that would be it, ruin. think it's exaggerating to suggest powerful members of the church and all that. It's just a typical case of charismatic leader, probably originally well-meaning, gets off track, believes own PR...situation resolves itself just by darwinian means with a few hardcore stragglers remaining. Probably no need to deport as it would do itself however I do see the point in terms of total damage to the fabric of society. You see scallys dumped off for busting a window or holding a gram or two yet as above, the position of trust, influencing people and so on could make a strong case...

I know it's been said before...but he should have been kicked off the island! e.g. what else has he done to get around other paperwork etc. ? How is he earning a living now? Who is employing him now? ...and why?

He is peeling potatos and polishing tin cups for £1.36 an hour (prison wages)

Are Barclays still employing him? If they're not will he or his wife be claiming benefit? Has he been in custody awaiting trial/sentence - won't this be taken off his 3 months, so he'll probably not actually do 3 months will he? Would like to know why the HB decided not to deport him - perhaps, as has been said previously, the UK Gov will want to have a word with him and they'll try to deport him, in which case will he claim assylum in the IOM. He prayed for a miracle - well he got one didn't he because he's probably not going to be in prison long, he hasn't been deported which he should have been and he's still got his "church" which is probably raking in money - hey ho, God on his side! :(

It was obviously a bit naughty but it isn't so hugely important in the big scheme of things. We're only talking about someone bringing in people to work on the sly. I'm sure that lots have people here have worked on the black, here or abroad, over the years past.

Or been paid in cash - which is a roughly equivalent crime. Hardly big stuff.

A big naughty, but could have been worse, the cans of dog food stopped them being to hungry apparently.

There is a God or a Dog.

Archived