Spare The Air Day

Chinahand

San Fransisco has a Spare the Air Day once a year to promote the use of public transport: clicky for news coverage of the event.

On that day all public transport is free. Its an attempt to get as many people as possible to use public transport to show that it can be a convenient way of getting to work. Even if its used only one day a year every bit helps and hopefully people realize it is convienient to use the buses on other days.

Isn't the Island perfectly set up for an initiative such as this. I'd love to know the statistics, but with work concentrated in a few locations I'd imagine something like 75% of the working population have a bus stop within 5 minutes walk of both their home and workplace.

The trail of single occupancy cars heading into Douglas every day is an inditement of our public transport system which simply hasn't adjusted to the changing demands the economic changes in Douglas have created.

Why not review the system and really push the boat out to get people to leave their cars at home - and wouldn't a Spare the Air Day be a useful start to such an attempt?

Ripsaw has long been a champion of the use of public transport, in particular commuter trains from the south of the island.

I personally think it's a great idea and definitely worthy of serious consideration.

Absolutely it's a good idea but there would need to be more buses on.

When I used to get the bus to work it was always packed even though it wasn't free! They used to have a single decker on which never stopped because it was full.

(well actually it wasn't totally full but the driver wouldn't tell the standing passengers to move up instead of packing the very front).

Eventually the DTL found a double decker to put on that route.

bring on the Douglas peak time congestion charge ...then lets see how many cars only have one occupant...

Excellent idea, I hope it's the first item in your manifesto.

Mission: Ripsaw has long been a champion of the use of public transport, in particular commuter trains from the south of the island.
Clever bloke that Ripsaw, he'll go far B)

bring on the Douglas peak time congestion charge ...then lets see how many cars only have one occupant...

People need to be encouraged out of cars by something better - not taxed into submission. We need better public transport - and that doesn't just mean buses, a modern commuter train to the south and decent new trams to the north.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was going to be about smoking. I like smoking threads and having a rant. We haven't had an anti-smoking thread for ages.

In the olden days there would be such a thread pop up every couple of weeks or so, regular.

Archived