Planning Changes For Millionaires?

Dent

In questions last week Rimmy suggested it could be a little difficult to change planning policy to allow an influx of millionaires to build on open countryside over here but he understood his responsibility in the corporate plan and his dept would do their best to get over this hurdle.

I should hope it would be difficult, whether we need the mega rich or not I would hope they have to go through the same process as everyone else, eg local farmers wanting to build a cottage on their land for family members etc.

I am surprised no one has commented on this yet.

PS I am not a farmer, landowner or relative of one.

Actually, it's The Treasury (Alan Bell’s lot) that want bring in this policy change not The Department of Local Government and the Environment. Sounded to me that John Rimmington was cautious in his view on the idea.

I think that it would entirely wrong to bring such a major change to planning policy without it being tested through the Strategic Plan process (i.e. consultation, public inquiry, consideration and discussion) or something similar. Tynwald trying to bring any form of policy on an ad-hoc basis is ill advised.

For what its worth I am totally opposed to such a change in planning policy as I consider it to be contrary to the best interests of the Island. I fail see how pandering to the wimps of the super-rich is good for the Island or the economy. These people have become rich by taking advantage of manufacturing economies, which is something that the Island cannot and will not ever be able to realistically compete with. Yes they might live here but I’d be very surprised if they actually set up a major/commercial industrial operation here. They are simply going to take advantage of the tax situation (I don’t blame them for wanting to do that).

Ps. Why do rich people like living so detached from their neighbours – isn’t it a bit lonely?

In questions last week Rimmy suggested it could be a little difficult to change planning policy to allow an influx of millionaires to build on open countryside over here but he understood his responsibility in the corporate plan and his dept would do their best to get over this hurdle.

I should hope it would be difficult, whether we need the mega rich or not I would hope they have to go through the same process as everyone else, eg local farmers wanting to build a cottage on their land for family members etc.

Why is putting money in a brown envelope any harder for a millionare?

Why is putting money in a brown envelope any harder for a millionare?

And how did Braidwood get away with breaking the Law (proved) with his Brown envelope affair.

And how did Braidwood get away with breaking the Law (proved) with his Brown envelope affair.

I wouldn't say he has gotten away with it just yet. The crooked b*****d has shown himself up yet again and he will get what's coming to him in the end. Makes me sick that so many MHKs were prepared to stand behind him when he was caught red handed. <_<

I wouldn't say he has gotten away with it just yet. The crooked b*****d has shown himself up yet again and he will get what's coming to him in the end. Makes me sick that so many MHKs were prepared to stand behind him when he was caught red handed. <_<

What did Phil Braidwood do? I must have missed this.

Firstly it was a minsterial statute that was broken and whilst he was described as acting 'unlawfully' in sending the letter it was not breaking the law per se, the Chief Minister reiterated that had he asked his permission to send the letter, he would have said yes.

The whole issue is a storm in a teacup as Cannan tried to make out that it was parliamentary contempt, whereas anything passing through the Chief Ministers office is considered governmental and not parliamentary.

He admitted the mistake and said he should have got express permission.

To say he was caught red handed is stupid as he faxed a letter and that is all. Hardly being crooked at all.

Cannan tried his best to oust him but failed, he exacerbated the whole situation purely as a personal attack as they have never seen eye to eye.

You wouldn't happen to be a supporter of Cannan would you, given the taxi service is based in Kirk Michael!!

Also isn't this getting just a tad off topic....???!!!

What did Phil Braidwood do? I must have missed this.

Well it *should* be detailed in today's Manx Independent.

I have listened to all the news reports and interviews and am still not entirely sure what this is all about. When things get complicated like the MEA and NED and stuff, I tend to do what the rest of the population do and that is to:

forget it

move on

draw a line under it.

:(

Forgive me, I'm probably being a bit naïve, but how the hell did a thread about potential planning changes manage to be converted into one about a former home office minister sending the details of a letter.... ah, I see... Theskeat!

post-1037-1151593744_thumb.jpg

As for the planning 'issue,' it should be covered by the simple dictum that everyone is entitled to equal consideration under the law.

Archived