Air Fares

willstain

I have also noticed in some of the posts above that there is a dissatisfaction with purchasing onboard catering - I totally agree. I really get anoyed after having paid for a ticket from A to B I'm then forced to buy a cup of coffee or tea or pay to check-in my baggage or pay for a specific seat (window or isle) - this really anoyes me. So much so that I decided to "give it away" our catering including alcohol. I truly beleive in adding value to a customers journey.

I have no problem purchasing food or extras on a budget airline, I do however have a problem with it if I have paid £300 to fly IOM to London return. I can go business class from London to Paris for that price and get excellent service and good food and wine. I think that for £300 you expect more than a stale sandwich for £4 extra and two quid for a coffee.

Can the airlines identify who are in the "cheap seats" and who are not as it seems crazy to treat everyone as if they have booked a cheap flight when many won't have.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree with ridiculus flight prices. yet i tried to book a 3 day return trip on the ferry with a car and 2 passengers

i was quoted £278 that isn't including a cabin for a return trip... NOw that is being ripped off.

My name is John Seymour (CEO EuroManx).

I have been reading the various posts relating to the cost of travel and airline punctuality and I thought it would be appropriate for me to respond, although I think that no matter what I say some will critise or attack it. This is not "blowing my own trumpet" but simply stating the facts.

I make about 30- 40 trips per year to and from the island by air and sea. The fares for both are simply a lottery (especially for short notice trips which can vary substantially in some cases up to a couple of hundred pounds for an individual).

I think people simply want to know where they stand with regard to travel to and from the island and it is this 'price uncertainty' that puts many people off travelling.

Not everyone plans their travel months ahead and can take advantage of 'offers'. IMHO, traffic would probably increase if last minute places were sold at standard rates and not at the premium rate scheme apparently in use, and discount schemes for frequent travellers were maintained. For example, many a time I have turned up at the Steam-Packet terminal and had to pay nearly £60 for a return that if I had booked the week before I would have got for just over £30. I don't even bother to turn up at an airport anymore as I know I'll be given a stupid price that bears no resemblance to what I may have previously paid.

People now have the thought ingrained in them that they will have to pay a hefty sum if they decide to: take their partner away this weekend, their kids to this Saturday's football match, go shopping in Liverpool tomorrow, or want to attend an Isle of Man event this Tuesday - so the vast majority simply do not bother.

IMHO it is the ferry and aircraft operators that have flattended their own market through their own pricing structures, as after most people have taken their annual holiday, it is the current pricing policy that kills any additional trips they may wish to make. A simpler scheme would also allow the government and travel companies to market the island more effectively.

i agree with ridiculus flight prices. yet i tried to book a 3 day return trip on the ferry with a car and 2 passengers

i was quoted £278 that isn't including a cabin for a return trip... NOw that is being ripped off.

I have been reading the various posts relating to the cost of travel and airline punctuality and I thought it would be appropriate for me to respond, although I think that no matter what I say some will critise or attack it. This is not "blowing my own trumpet" but simply stating the facts.

I make about 30- 40 trips per year to and from the island by air and sea. The fares for both are simply a lottery (especially for short notice trips which can vary substantially in some cases up to a couple of hundred pounds for an individual).

I think people simply want to know where they stand with regard to travel to and from the island and it is this 'price uncertainty' that puts many people off travelling.

Not everyone plans their travel months ahead and can take advantage of 'offers'. IMHO, traffic would probably increase if last minute places were sold at standard rates and not at the premium rate scheme apparently in use, and discount schemes for frequent travellers were maintained. For example, many a time I have turned up at the Steam-Packet terminal and had to pay nearly £60 for a return that if I had booked the week before I would have got for just over £30. I don't even bother to turn up at an airport anymore as I know I'll be given a stupid price that bears no resemblance to what I may have previously paid.

People now have the thought ingrained in them that they will have to pay a hefty sum if they decide to: take their partner away this weekend, their kids to this Saturday's football match, go shopping in Liverpool tomorrow, or want to attend an Isle of Man event this Tuesday - so the vast majority simply do not bother.

IMHO it is the ferry and aircraft operators that have flattended their own market through their own pricing structures, as after most people have taken their annual holiday, it is the current pricing policy that kills any additional trips they may wish to make. A simpler scheme would also allow the government and travel companies to market the island more effectively.

Well i'm sure if people get there questions answered then people won't critise or attack and it would be nice to get some straight answers about things.

So when will prices start to come down? ;)

Well i'm sure if people get there questions answered then people won't critise or attack and it would be nice to get some straight answers about things.

So when will prices start to come down? ;)

That is a very difficult question to answer although as I said in my previous post some fares have come down.

We as an airline look at what it costs us to operate from A to B and calculate the fares accordingly.

We realise that if the fares are to expensive (based on what it costs us to operate) people simply don't travel as we saw with Southampton, Paris and Stansted. If we make fares very cheap we run the risk of not carrying enough people to cover our costs - it is a very fine balance.

Nothing would make me happier than to pass on a reduction in airfares and we are always looking at ways to deliver value for money.

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

IF the airport agreed to extend their hours of operation accordingly.

Later flights (back to the island) would reduce the cost (to the passenger) and increase the viability of Isle of Man air travel. Later flights back to the island =:

• Better chance of getting back to the island on the same day when connecting with an -> IOM flight. Less likely to need to book airport hotel accommodation.
  • Greater range of viable flights (and prices) arriving in time to make a same day connection -> IOM.

My name is John Seymour (CEO EuroManx)

etc

John Seymour

Chief Executive Officer

EuroManx.

www.euromanx.com

So you were spamming the forum :)

Euromanx Forum Spam and more Euromanx Forum Spam

spamanm.gif

No not spamming - simply trying to provide valid answers to valid questions, nothing more.

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

Euromanx isn't even an airline, as far as l know it doesn't hold an AOC and further more it isn't even Manx it's Euro, it's registered in Austria!

No not spamming - simply trying to provide valid answers to valid questions, nothing more.

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

If you look at the first link you're acting as a totally different person andare plugging the company to get more to buy tickets etc.

That is what i call spam.

That is a very difficult question to answer although as I said in my previous post some fares have come down.

We as an airline look at what it costs us to operate from A to B and calculate the fares accordingly.

We realise that if the fares are to expensive (based on what it costs us to operate) people simply don't travel as we saw with Southampton, Paris and Stansted. If we make fares very cheap we run the risk of not carrying enough people to cover our costs - it is a very fine balance.

Nothing would make me happier than to pass on a reduction in airfares and we are always looking at ways to deliver value for money.

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

I don't think my points have been addressed - especially those about developing the market and adjusting the pricing structures. All I am picking up is 'it's a tough market but we'll stick to the status quo and might consider the customers at some point in the future - honest!'.

Someone has to break the mould, otherwise those on here who have inferred a cartel is in operation have the upper hand IMHO. Most operators on the island are missing out by not picking people up as regular repeat customers, especially the non-essential travellers as outlined in my previous post, and where IMHO any major market expansion will be found. Looking to expand travel from Europe seems a strange strategy to me, and cannot be relied upon, as the government have been trying to 'market' the island for years and have not improved things by much, at least not to the levels preferred by operators.

Until operators start to run their businesses 'for their customers' and not 'despite their customers' the situation will not change. Leaving full control of such a critical and major driver in the Manx economy as travel to investment firms and opportunists, many maximising their profits at the expense of our isolation from the mainland, will never make sense to me.

Islander,

Euromanx fares on the Liverpool route started at £19 last year. Why is the cheapest now from £34.

Can you explain why the cheapest ticket is now almost double ?

Cheers.

Probably due to the fact that there is no competion. Aer Arran only started competing with EuroManx because Euromanx started competing with them on flights out of Galway but it proved a fruitless exercise for the fare paying public, EroManx pulled off the Galway routes after they realised there are only so many farmers and fishermen who need a day trip to the City of London. Then they pulled off the Dublin route and just by chance Aer Arran pulled of the Manchester and Liverpool routes, So everything is hunkey dorey for the airlines if you want to fly to Liverpool you HAVE to fly Euromanx and if you want to fly to Dublin you HAVE to fly Aer Arran. If the Isle of Man wants to rekindle the tourist trade they need a concerted affort from all sides because there is a lot of competion out there and most of it is in the sun. I mean who wants a week-end in the rain?

Why is there no competition?

Not because of any conspiracy or collusion between the airline operators. But because of commercial reality.

The market for aviation in the Isle of Man is extremely limited, and although open competition may give consumers a short term benefit, (hence the £19 fare), this is not sustainable. All businesses need to make a profit for their owners, and any short term, loss leader fares are just that.

Archived