Air Fares

willstain

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
willstain

Wind inflates a windsock and hot air comes out of a jet pipe - you appear to have plentiful supplies of both!

Well for once you're stating facts, both are common knowledge but then you let yourself down by indulging in conjecture.

I'm concerned about you comments relating to safety. Could you please clarify.

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

Are you able to tell me exactly what went on with Emerald? I was off Island when their licence was suspended and couldn't really work out what went on.

Thanks for the links.

From what I can tell all the safety issues were from the types of plane that do the freight runs. Not that that's better of course but it makes me feel better when I think of the number of Emerald flights I took over the past 3 years!

Word of warning over the forum link - I have no connections with the airline industry and I got confused by all the jargon! Understood 1 post in 3...

Edited to say.. I'm still not sure exactly why the licence was pulled!

Islander,

Euromanx fares on the Liverpool route started at £19 last year. Why is the cheapest now from £34.

Can you explain why the cheapest ticket is now almost double ?

Cheers.

Any chance of a response ?

The £19 fare a year ago consisted of £14 fare and £5 tax. Now the £34 fare consists of £14 fare, £5 tax and £15 fuel.

So are you declaring that the fuel has gone from costing £0 one year ago to £15 now ? Obviously that isnt the case, it wasnt free a year ago....so i would appreciate some explanation of the charges

Thanks for the links.

From what I can tell all the safety issues were from the types of plane that do the freight runs. Not that that's better of course but it makes me feel better when I think of the number of Emerald flights I took over the past 3 years!

Word of warning over the forum link - I have no connections with the airline industry and I got confused by all the jargon! Understood 1 post in 3...

Edited to say.. I'm still not sure exactly why the licence was pulled!

I haven't found a statement about the licence being pulled yet.

I've just read post #112 of the Forum, from a former employee and nearly choked on my coffee.

I haven't found a statement about the licence being pulled yet.

I've just read post #112 of the Forum, from a former employee and nearly choked on my coffee.

Yet another good reason for using BA rather than a small startup (no matter how good they may be), I have confidence that this would never happen there.

Oh Dear :ban: !

First the good news (and it is 'On Thread')

Manx Radio reporting from the Tynwald Fair Field just mentioned that Manx2 are offering £13.68 one way flights (inc. taxes).

A quick check on their web site using 2 random dates for a return ticket shows:

post-102-1152107939_thumb.jpg

The bad news is that the fares in my previous post are only available today...

In reply to SarahC:

I had another look for further details about the AOC licence being suspended without any luck.

What I did discover is that Emerald were told on numerous occasions that their loading training, documentation and other aspects were not up to a required standard. It appears that no, or little action was taken to rectify these matters.

Loading methods and attention to routine was (re)highlighed in a AAIB Document (pdf) following an incident in which

The aircraft’s left over-wing emergency escape hatch detached from the aircraft during takeoff from East Midlands Airport... the loss of the hatch, was only discovered after landing at Ronaldsway Airport on the Isle of Man.

Luckily (?) the missing hatch was found between the runway and the perimeter of the airport, not embeded in a member of the public further along the flight path.

If Emerald had paid attention to their responsibilities this incident could have been avoided. Whilst I can not say that this incident directly led to the Operating Licence to be suspended, the report catalogues a number of failures by Emerald that would have been addressable nails in their proverbial coffin.

Purely speculatively, (but based on this document and other docs and reports) I think that the CAA got sick of issuing warnings and suspended the licence to show they meant business. I've read nothing to suggest that even at this point Emerald could have put the required measures into place and regained their licence. Unfortunately the outcome was that the business treaded water for a while before appointing KPMG as liquidators.

Edit: Link to AAIB pdf fixed

:( Sorry dont know what is happening here Attachments will not attach.

However the gist of the story in todays Times is that the MEP's have voted for a "Green Tax" on aviation fuel which is likely to add approx £40 for a return joorney within Europe . If this happens and it seems likely, how will this affect the IOM as we are not fully in Europe yet any journeys we make will almost certainly involve an EC country as the final destination or as an on route stopping off point ??

Archived