Air Fares

willstain

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:( Sorry dont know what is happening here Attachments will not attach.

However the gist of the story in todays Times is that the MEP's have voted for a "Green Tax" on aviation fuel which is likely to add approx £40 for a return joorney within Europe . If this happens and it seems likely, how will this affect the IOM as we are not fully in Europe yet any journeys we make will almost certainly involve an EC country as the final destination or as an on route stopping off point ??

IOM is classed as the european common travel area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

not sure on the impact of this fact on the EU green tax

still no reply to post 55 yet

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...23entry169423

I got a couple of things here to get off my chest;

- how much do you think is a reasonable fare to pay? £150 to London city seems pretty good to me. Likewise given the prices rising due to fuel costs they seem much better after inflation compared to about 10 or 20 years ago...anyone got any old tickets and booking dates so we could compare? Compare a few hundred quid to getting across and back with 30-odd quid dhoolish to peel/ramsey by tacsi?! eh!

you pay thru the nose for late booking but there you go

- I'm as sick as anyone as the constant route jockeying. It looks tacky and unprofessional.

- got to be honest and say I don't feel safety is as important with euromanx as it is with BA. I'm sure it is but my perception is that it isn't. I mean, how could anyone buy emerald airways and fail to do their due diligence?

- look at other similar routes round the UK and we're no different. If anything (except the easyjet/ryanair routes), on regional we look pretty good. Try booking easyjet last minute from city to city and it's mega £££

- that reward scheme by euromanx is/was appalling. If you can't do it properly, don't do it all. And don;t make anyone cough up extra to join a loyalty scheme unless it;s at p diddy's niteclub or something. First rule of biz skool. And that CEO lurking on the forum was lame, you shouldn't do that man in your position, it;s asking for trouble, if you need any troubleshooting, I'm here but not cheap!!!

that's all

HA

I'm concerned about you comments relating to safety. Could you please clarify.

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

certainly John:

I don't normally do this kind of thing for free for companies so I'm a bit irked off but as I said my perception is as I said it is. I'm sure however that in practice everything is 100% as much as can be. I feel though that the Emerald situation has been very badly handled giving the perception that I mentioned. If you weren't aware of Emerald's issues then that's bad as it seems due diligence on acquisition targets has gone wrong. If you were aware then you missed out big style on a nice bit of corporate spin 'injecting capital in an enlarged and improved service...etc'. That was weak I feel. Unfair to be guilty by association but that's life.

Also you wouldn't have needed to ask me on a public forum had you had even a rudimentary customer service surveying procedure in place. Likewise I'd send you back to CEO-school for that posting earlier.

Ditto for that ill tought-out loyalty scheme. Totally out of kilter with any sort of frequent flyer scheme I've had. Btw, I have no clients or interest in the airline industry (thank god) or desire any, just sounding off. And while you're at it, sort your booking and reservations system(s) out! If you don't know what I'm on about, ask your staff!

However the gist of the story in todays Times is that the MEP's have voted for a "Green Tax" on aviation fuel which is likely to add approx £40 for a return joorney within Europe .

Good, about time. Next on the cards is requiring the oil used in ships to be of higher quaity with much lower emissions.

Euromanx CEO

If you are still taking an interest in this thread I'll add my twopenny worth on your recent 'frequent flyer' scheme. A joke, quite simply. Are you able to quote any other ailrline where passengers have to PAY to be rewarded for their loyalty? Surely, it's as simple as when you fly - you get x points and when you accumulate xx points a free ticket - you set the xx level. The admin might cost a few lines of software in your booking system but if you are keeping count of the number of your card holders and their flights surely it can't be too difficult. Your instinct to reward your regular passengers is admirable and the service Euromanx now provides, and it is only within the past 6 months that I can say this, is as good as any other operator from the Island (the moreso so since BA decided to become 'just another airline') but might I suggest you and your commercial people think initiatives such as your flyer scheme through with some serious market research before launching it.

On the up side the introduction of complimentary drinks is great but I could do with a bit more than a packet of pretzels (for which I would happily pay - within reason) with my G&T after a long day in London. Just one more thing - are there any plans to get the prop aircraft replaced and a jet put back on the London route. On some days that journey can seem interminable. I've now rambled on and overlooked the title of this thread - Air Fares. No gripes - could be cheaper for off-peak travel but disregard the main moaners here - everybody wants something for nothing and I believe that for a small town of 70K people we are spoilt for air routes from the Island. The danger comes from monopoly - don't take the proverbial and you'll keep the locals 'on side'.

Nobody in this thread is looking for something for nothing.

This thread is about fair fares from the IOM.

Dear John is not head of an airline, Euromanx is not an airline.

Unlike Emerald it doesn't have an AOC that can be taken away.

Unlike Emerald it doesn't own any aircraft.

Not so much a pantomime more a mirage.

These are facts not conjecture and l'm not asking anyone to do anything other than feel free to comment - this is after all a forum.

Personally l feel that if you offer a budget service you should offer a budget price. Anyways, how can BAcon offer a jet service this coming autumn for £64 and the rest are looking for £108 return to London?

£40 for a G&T seems a little bit stiff!

Nobody in this thread is looking for something for nothing.

This thread is about fair fares from the IOM.

Dear John is not head of an airline, Euromanx is not an airline.

Unlike Emerald it doesn't have an AOC that can be taken away.

Unlike Emerald it doesn't own any aircraft.

Not so much a pantomime more a mirage.

These are facts not conjecture and l'm not asking anyone to do anything other than feel free to comment - this is after all a forum.

Personally l feel that if you offer a budget service you should offer a budget price. Anyways, how can BAcon offer a jet service this coming autumn for £64 and the rest are looking for £108 return to London?

£40 for a G&T seems a little bit stiff!

John Seymour - CEO EuroManx

I have a noticed a number of responses to quiet a few questions relating to EuroManx, air fares and Emerald etc. While I will not comment on the "problems" of another airline (very inapropriate) I will offer the following:

1. Emerald:

We did not buy or acquire Emerald as mentioned in some posts - fact.

They simply came off the LPL route for one very good reason:

LPL will not sustain 2 airlines at the sametime. Someone will pulloff.

We have seen 3 airlines try and compete on LPL and it simply does not work - airline economics.

The community then suffers due to instability - fact.

2. Air Operators Certificate (AOC):

EuroManx is very much an airline - fact,

We do own our aircraft - fact,

We do have an AOC - fact, and

I'm very much the head of it - fact!!!

We do have our own Pilots, Cabin Crew, Operations Control, Engineering, Sales and Marketing,

Reservations Centre, Flight Operations, Accounts, Reservations, Quality Control department etc etc.

3. Frequent Flyer Programme:

Well over 500 people (growing each week) think it is worthwile!!!

4. Safety:

i) We were conducting an audit of Emerald concurrently with the UK CAA when their AOC was suspended.

ii) I'm 100% commited to safety and we spend considerable time, energy and of course funds in

developing safety systems, procedures, policies etc. We have developed a safety culture within

EuroManx and I'm quiet proud of that.

5. Air Fares:

I realise that this is close to everyones hart - I understand - but everything in life comes at a price.

Fuel costs A, landing charges cost B, staff cost C, insurance costs D and the list goes on.

A fare to LPL last year was £19 - correct and lets look at what happened - it was not sustainable hence

airlines have pulled off this route leaving passengers dsirupted.

If people want stability in airlines or any busines for that matter then they need to support it - simple.

6. Reservations system:

Every passenger survey conducted ask about our reservations system and every response has been

positive.

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx.

lslander, Just when did EuroManx get its AOC and its own aircraft, l mean how far down the line, neither were there from day one.

You still fail to explain the difference if price between your fare to London and that offered by BAcon, as l said £40 for a G&T is a bit stiff.

Some people may have thought that you took over Emerald beccause you were on occasions using their aircraft on the Liverpool route.

Hopefully now after EuroManx's grandiose expansion and inevatable consolidation we may look forward to a more rational and progressive local airline.

lslander, Just when did EuroManx get its AOC and its own aircraft, l mean how far down the line, neither were there from day one.

You still fail to explain the difference if price between your fare to London and that offered by BAcon, as l said £40 for a G&T is a bit stiff.

Some people may have thought that you took over Emerald beccause you were on occasions using their aircraft on the Liverpool route.

Hopefully now after EuroManx's grandiose expansion and inevatable consolidation we may look forward to a more rational and progressive local airline.

Our AOC was issued in April of 2005 at the sametime we had our own aircraft.

Airfares: It depends when you travel, how fare in advance you book, what fares are available at the time of booking etc etc

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

• 2 weeks later...
Islander you said in your last post that you didnt aquire Emerald. Thats common knowledge.

But can you explain the type of lease you took out.

Also when you say have an AOC. Is this a british AOC?

cheers

I have been in touch with the British CAA and they have told me that EuroManx hold AOC in Austria, that explains the Euro part of the airline. This AOC is granted annually but I am pretty sure they operated for sometime as a booking agent not owning the aircraft they operated on routes out of the IOM. One of their most used charter airlines was Denim Air (Holland) which is now owned by VLM who are now in direct competion with them on the LCY route. By the way Manx2.com started services at the week-end with a small aircraft suited to short routes (no loo!!!!) and I wish them well. (It's a wonder that easyJet or Ryan Air have never charged for using the toilet on their aircraft..........ssshhh I shouldn't give them ideas.)

• 2 months later...

- how much do you think is a reasonable fare to pay? £150 to London city seems pretty good to me. Likewise given the prices rising due to fuel costs they seem much better after inflation compared to about 10 or 20 years ago...anyone got any old tickets and booking dates so we could compare? Compare a few hundred quid to getting across and back with 30-odd quid dhoolish to peel/ramsey by tacsi?! eh!

- I'm as sick as anyone as the constant route jockeying. It looks tacky and unprofessional.

- got to be honest and say I don't feel safety is as important with euromanx as it is with BA. I'm sure it is but my perception is that it isn't. I mean, how could anyone buy emerald airways and fail to do their due diligence?

- look at other similar routes round the UK and we're no different. If anything (except the easyjet/ryanair routes), on regional we look pretty good. Try booking easyjet last minute from city to city and it's mega £££

- that reward scheme by euromanx is/was appalling. If you can't do it properly, don't do it all. And don;t make anyone cough up extra to join a loyalty scheme unless it;s at p diddy's niteclub or something. First rule of biz skool. And that CEO lurking on the forum was lame, you shouldn't do that man in your position, it;s asking for trouble, if you need any troubleshooting, I'm here but not cheap!!!

that's all

HA

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14234

Just pondering the value for money of air fares these days

What was the average wage in 1965 - maybe about £10-15

What is the average wage now ? - something like £450 ?

Air fare in 1965 IoM-Lpool-IoM £6/4/0 (six pounds 4 shillings)

the only problem now is the range of prices for the same flight !

(edit : why won't this thing allow me to reply and add an image at the same time,

I have to do one first then edit it with an attachment Arrgggh !)

post-1026-1160790038_thumb.jpg

that's all

HA

John Seymour

CEO

EuroManx

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14234

BA had one of those a few months ago. According to the report the passengers could hear the 'pull up' warning too.

One all I think.

Archived