Virus Attacks

hboy

A word of advice - anyone who has been in conversation with some of the posters over the last couple of days should run a full virus check asap.

I thought it was a coincidence but everytime I've had a PM and sometimes when I've posted my fire wall is picking up a trojan horse attack - someone appears to be spiking IP addresses and trying to find a port to drop a trojan horse into.

Its happened 4 times over the last 48 hours.

If anyone picks anything up let me know (just to prove I am not paranoid).

(Que BNP poster telling me I am paranoid)

But surely only mods and admins can view IP addresses?

Unless you visited thier site or something.

Its quite a strong accusation your making.

I'm not accusing anyone. I am advising people to do a virus check because something is coming off these boards directly into firewalls.

I'm not accusing them or anyone else. Just stating that its a co-incidence and others should check.

We can view them yes, but there are a few tricks you can use to harvest IP addresses such as hosting transparent 1x1px images on your own hosting, sending a PM to someone with the image embedded and then checking your HTTP access logs.

However, I think this is more co-incidence than anything.

We can view them yes, but there are a few tricks you can use to harvest IP addresses such as hosting transparent 1x1px images on your own hosting, sending a PM to someone with the image embedded and then checking your HTTP access logs.

However, I think this is more co-incidence than anything.

I agree. I am just saying its good security to check. I can't be the only one.

I haven't had any problems, Can't mods and admins check the PM's to see if anything has been sent?

I didn't think it was possible but you learn something new everyday!, So i guess its the same as emails don't open an email/PM with an attachment/paper clip sign.

what virus checker are you using and are you not firewalled?

I'm picking it all up and quarantining. Others may not be. Its just something that might be of interest to people less security concious than me.

what virus checker are you using and are you not firewalled?

Haven't a clue who that was aimed at, I have a firewall and hboy said "my fire wall is picking up a trojan horse attack"

I had a similar case when i viewed the novatech website, My firewall said novatech was hacking in and was a danger, I posted a thread about it and it soon became evident that i was panicking about nothing.

Can't mods and admins check the PM's to see if anything has been sent?

AFAIK, this isn't possible.

Oh right didn't know that, I thought everything was stored and could be viewed.

So how does it work if someone complains about an abusive PM, Do people just have to take peoples word for it?

We can't read PMs. That would be bad if we could. There isn't even a log of who sent messages to who, just a global counter that counts the total sent by everyone.

Abusive PMs can be forwarded to us, but they're easy to fake as it's just words in a box. I guess it's on trust.

I suppose it would ruin the point of it being a Personal Message if admins/mods could read them.

Seems odd why anyone would want to send viruses through i message board though, Even more odd if they want people to support them!

Archived