Graham Coxon

scoobe

I think both Alban and Coxon are talented.

Certainly Coxon's lps are very good. I didn't go and see him on Saturday because I saw him in the summer and live he wasn't that great. The problem is he's not a natural frontman or singer and can't really carry a solo show.

I think his influence was greatest on the earlier Britpop and Baggy era Blur and you do hear that in his solo stuff. The Blur stuff I prefer is the latter stuff when his influence was less (he'd left by the time of their best lp) but that doesn't mean he he's crap.

I think both Alban and Coxon are talented.

Certainly Coxon's lps are very good. I didn't go and see him on Saturday because I saw him in the summer and live he wasn't that great. The problem is he's not a natural frontman or singer and can't really carry a solo show.

I think his influence was greatest on the earlier Britpop and Baggy era Blur and you do hear that in his solo stuff. The Blur stuff I prefer is the latter stuff when his influence was less (he'd left by the time of their best lp) but that doesn't mean he he's crap.

i like both eras of music by them...you certainly get hte britpop rehash vibe off coxon though...

on that, has anybody else heard of a supposed big ass rock/indie fest. that is going to be organised on the island in the future? i also heard the tickets will be 100 pounds a day/ 300 in total. a splash more expensive than the 17.5 pounds it's going to cost seeing coxy.

on that, has anybody else heard of a supposed big ass rock/indie fest. that is going to be organised on the island in the future? i also heard the tickets will be 100 pounds a day/ 300 in total. a splash more expensive than the 17.5 pounds it's going to cost seeing coxy.

there is supposed to be rock the rock music festival next year but it's only in the planning stages at the moment.

it's been discussed here and here

i'm heading down to see graham coxon on sat, just hope there is a good turn out for it.

there is supposed to be rock the rock music festival next year but it's only in the planning stages at the moment.

it's been discussed here and here

i'm heading down to see graham coxon on sat, just hope there is a good turn out for it.

^yeh, here's hoping. thanks for the links..will look at em later

i'm in general downstairs (i only got my tickets a couple of days ago, no upstairs left) is it worth coming in early, it's GA...apparently run on a first come first served basis...how bad/good is the view if i rock up ...not early...?

lets hope it's not like the bluetones gig.

because they didn't sell many tickets, somebody had the bright idea of putting tables in the middle of the dance floor, thought i'd turned up at a dinner dance :unsure:

seems strange that upstairs has sold out before downstairs.

Saw him at Reading a couple of years ago, he did struggle a bit with the banter in between songs, although he did cane the darkness (who were playing the main stage at the same time) throughout the gig which was pretty funny.

His solo stuff is pretty good, and of the specific Blur songs i love most of them are coxon's but my favourite album by blur is Think Tank...which as we all know had very little coxon input.

great stuff guys!

i'm making a bold move and saying that i'll be there with a radiohead t-shirt on (one that says, "meeting people is easy" from their 98 tour), so come up and say "hi"..i'm new to the island so i dont mind random people coming up to me and saying hi...haha...

anyway, i hope it's a great gig...i for one am going to have a great time (is the bar good there?)!

lets hope it's not like the bluetones gig.

because they didn't sell many tickets, somebody had the bright idea of putting tables in the middle of the dance floor, thought i'd turned up at a dinner dance :unsure:

seems strange that upstairs has sold out before downstairs.

Well, bingo on the tables on the dancefloor, and I have no idea what was going on with the upstairs thing, it was empty.

Aside from that, I didn't feel robbed of my £17.50. The support band Switches sounded like the bastard child of Razorlight and Franz Ferdinand whilst trying to look like Green Day. Funnily enough, it worked quite well.

Graham Coxon was superb. Plently of older stuff alongside tracks from this year's offering of Love Travels At Illegal Speeds.

Yes, the Villa was half empty, yes it would have been good if it had sold out (or sold half in all honesty). But those there seemed to enjoy it, me included.

Archived