What Does Your Car Say About Your Personality?

Jake

F Scott Fitzgerald wrote that the sign of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in your head at the same time.

My goodness Mrs.Trellis you are showing your age now.... Fitzgerald may have been the archetypal scholar in America in the 20's but he never held a fascination in the west as he was regarded as retarded. I think his own Countryman Hemingway best quoted him with this simple remark in conversation, Fitzgerald: "The rich are different than you and me." Hemingway: "Yes, they have more money." :D:D:D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drive a VW Corrado VR6, nothing but a few CD's in the car, pair of sunnies and a toolbox in the boot.

Classic, always wanted a Corrado VR6, nice one.

I drive a Peugeot 205, 3 door hatchback, diesel, full of junk and the rear seats always in the 'estate car' position for carrying logs or anything else I find. It is white with coloured decals on it, a rasta man in the rear window, 'I'd rather be riding my Vespa' sticker and a 'Chorley FM, coming in your ears' sticker on the back.

Also 'L' plates. and a collection of fixed penalty notices on the dash in the hope the warden will take pity and leave me alone, worked so far!

Analyse that.

My goodness Mrs.Trellis you are showing your age now.... Fitzgerald may have been the archetypal scholar in America in the 20's but he never held a fascination in the west as he was regarded as retarded. I think his own Countryman Hemingway best quoted him with this simple remark in conversation, Fitzgerald: "The rich are different than you and me." Hemingway: "Yes, they have more money." :D:D:D

No he didn't.

And by "the West", do you mean Peel?

Check your Wikipedia.

Ernest Hemingway once said of F. Scott Fitzgerald:

"His talent was as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly's wings."

Hemingway is responsible for a famous misquotation of Fitzgerald's. According to the author, a conversation between him and Fitzgerald went:

Fitzgerald: The rich are different than you and me.

Hemingway: Yes, they have more money.

This never actually happened; it is a retelling of an actual encounter between Hemingway and Mary Colum, which went as follows:

Hemingway: I am getting to know the rich.

Colum: I think you’ll find the only difference between the rich and other people is that the rich have more money.

The full quotation is found in Fitzgerald's words in his short story "The Rich Boy" (1926), paragraph 3: "Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft, where we are hard, cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand."

No he didn't.

And by "the West", do you mean Peel?

Check your Wikipedia.

Ernest Hemingway once said of F. Scott Fitzgerald:

"His talent was as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly's wings."

Hemingway is responsible for a famous misquotation of Fitzgerald's. According to the author, a conversation between him and Fitzgerald went:

Fitzgerald: The rich are different than you and me.

Hemingway: Yes, they have more money.

This never actually happened; it is a retelling of an actual encounter between Hemingway and Mary Colum, which went as follows:

Hemingway: I am getting to know the rich.

Colum: I think you’ll find the only difference between the rich and other people is that the rich have more money.

The full quotation is found in Fitzgerald's words in his short story "The Rich Boy" (1926), paragraph 3: "Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft, where we are hard, cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand."

Well I most certainly would not decry such an astute journal as Wikipedia.... they are the "Daily Mail" of modern perception and thought provoking thrust. However, you are quite correct in your assumption..... this is one of the most famous misquotes of the time to be associated with Hemingway but it served it's purpose on this occasion to underline how retarded Hemingway actually saw Fitzgerald.

If you wish to discuss literature then I suggest we start a different thread and I would be more than happy to do so.... it appears that we might be able to have an amiable banter on the subject.... you appear to be a cove of written postmodernism.

I send you flowers my petal. :flowers: I wave to you across the River Dee. :)

Well I most certainly would not decry such an astute journal as Wikipedia.... they are the "Daily Mail" of modern perception and thought provoking thrust. However, you are quite correct in your assumption..... this is one of the most famous misquotes of the time to be associated with Hemingway but it served it's purpose on this occasion to underline how retarded Hemingway actually saw Fitzgerald.

If you wish to discuss literature then I suggest we start a different thread and I would be more than happy to do so.... it appears that we might be able to have an amiable banter on the subject.... you appear to be a cove of written postmodernism.

I send you flowers my petal. :flowers: I wave to you across the River Dee. :)

Discuss literature with someone who says it's instead of its? Get, as the young people say, real.

Ive also got a Metro (Quest) really nippy but not as nippy as a 6R4....I'd bloody love to have one of them.

I think most would like a 6R4, Wern't they even banned for road use when they where first brought out?

Remind me Mrs T, I used to have this one sorted out but now I think I have forgotton; the apostrophe when there is a letter missing, or when it is the possessive?

Tut, tut. Forgotten.

A bit of both.

In "don't", for example, the o of not in "do not" is missing, so the apostrophe stands in its place.

In a phrase such as "the man's hat" the apostrophe is being used for the possessive. The hat of the man.

But when it's (here it's is a short form of it is) a possessive pronoun (the thing Jake got wrong) it's its.

It's and its are, of course, homophones.

But it would be just as wrong to write "hi's" instead of "his" as it is to write "it's" instead of "its" when we're talking about possessive pronouns.

I hope that makes it clear.

Discuss literature with someone who says it's instead of its? Get, as the young people say, real.*

Certain individuals when faced with a situation they would rather ignore take to criticizing an opponents grammar in order to justify their superiority. I am sure at one time or another you must have inserted an incorrect comma or letter.... I am sure that if I perused all your posts then I would come up with one or two.

This is an Internet message board and my English will undoubtably slip.... I do apologise.

Okay geezer. :P:D:D

* so you are old then?.... :D

Thank you, so its the omitted letter rule rather than the possessive? Sorted on all other uses of the apostrophe it's just the "its" that has thrown me recently.

Will also check my posts for spellings in future. (I did score 62 in the recent BBC Know Your English telly quiz, the highest home score was 68, so I don't consider myself too bad at English when I am thinking about what I am writing.)

Discuss literature with someone who says it's instead of its? Get, as the young people say, real.*

Certain individuals when faced with a situation they would rather ignore take to criticizing an opponents grammar in order to justify their superiority. I am sure at one time or another you must have inserted an incorrect comma or letter.... I am sure that if I perused all your posts then I would come up with one or two.

This is an Internet message board and my English will undoubtably slip.... I do apologise.

Okay geezer. :P:D:D

* so you are old then?.... :D

I normally leave others to correct grammar. But, since you challenged me to discuss literature, of all things, I thought it was perfectly reasonable to break my normal rules in this context.

Archived