Sitting Members - One At A Time - Finale

Lonan3

Chief Minister  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for JS because he is relatively young, intelligent, articulate and, it has to be said, Manx. It is not often that you have all attributes in the one candidate and I think he has the characteristics to be a true statesman and credible representative for the Island.

I think the trouble with this poll is that the choice of Chief Minister is so shrouded in secrecy and organised via smoke filled rooms with back scratching, ego grooming and the placing of supporters in important jobs that it isn't accessable to us minions. I haven't got a clue who might be in the running for CM ... does anyone really have any idea on this one or are we all guessing?

Go on John Shimmin, as a poster to this forum give us an insight ... even if its only into the process not the likely candidates ... are you privately canvased, or are alliances in the Keys etc openly known about?

This is an important part of Manx politics in which the voter has almost no insight ... surely this isn't a good thing.

I voted 'none of the above'. Sorry, but IMHO over a wide range of areas these guys will not cut the mustard and we will simply get more of the same. I want someone who will stand up for the island and who realises that we don't have to do everything England is currently doing. I think most of them are from the 'cut and paste' brigade and I am yet to be convinced.

Anyone that says 'stop and think' has more chance of my vote. If one of them turns around and says 'well...actually...I'm going to undo some of this' has even more chance of my vote. I don't think many of our own politicians realise what a unique position we are in - and so miss so many opportunities.

They have collectively sold us down the river this past five years. Why should everything be a fight when we are supposed to be an island 'team'?

-

Donald Gelling - No. seems a safe pair of hands but I cannot accept anyone not elected by the public to have that level of authority.

Tony Brown - No. Listening to radio coverage, I feel that Tony Brown doesn't always act fairly.

Allan Bell - No. Non. Against. Never. Lest we forget. Mount Murray.

David Cannan - No. Unfair maybe, but I just don't like the man. And that voice! I couldn't bear to listen to that more than we have to at the moment.

Steve Rodan - Not sure about him yet. One to watch for the future perhaps.

John Shimmin - Yes. I agree with Gladys and voted John Shimmin as he seems best of a mediocre bunch to be honest.

Something needs to change in the way the CM is elected. But to what?

Most important question to ask those knocking on our door for a vote over the coming months is "who would you vote to be the next CM?"

Incidentally - and lest we forget - the MHK who received the most votes by far from the electorate at the last election was Peter Karran MHK for Onchan.

The above poll might be fairer if all MHKs are listed, along with eligible MLCs (those who were previously elected as MHKs)

MLCs:

Pam Crowe

Alex Downie - Minister Trade and Industry

Donald Gelling

Eddie Lowey

Leonard Singer

George Waft

The above will be eligible for CM and do not have to go to the polls in November.

MHKs:

Allan Bell - Minister Treasury

Anne Craine

Eddie Teare

David Cannan

Hazel Hannan

Steve Rodan - Minister Health and Social Security

David Anderson - Minister Education

Martyn Quayle

Peter Karran

Richard Corkill

Adrian Earnshaw

John Houghton

Bill Henderson

David Cretney - Minister Tourism and Leisure

Adrian Duggan*

Phil Braidwood - Minister Transport

Brenda Cannell

John Shimmin - Minister Home Affairs

Dominic Delaney*

Tony Brown

Andrew Douglas

John Rimington - Minister Local Government and the Environment

Quintin Gill

Phil Gawne - Minister Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

* those who have indicated to date that they will not be standing at the next election

It is more than likely that some of the above MHKs will not be returned. It would be reasonable to elect a current Minister although this is not a necessity. Come November there should be some new faces in Tynwald and there is a possibility a new MHK could be voted as Chief Minister, although unlikely.

Edited to add Ministries

I voted 'none of the above'. Sorry, but IMHO over a wide range of areas these guys will not cut the mustard and we will simply get more of the same. I want someone who will stand up for the island and who realises that we don't have to do everything England is currently doing. I think most of them are from the 'cut and paste' brigade and I am yet to be convinced.

Anyone that says 'stop and think' has more chance of my vote. If one of them turns around and says 'well...actually...I'm going to undo some of this' has even more chance of my vote. I don't think many of our own politicians realise what a unique position we are in - and so miss so many opportunities.

They have collectively sold us down the river this past five years. Why should everything be a fight when we are supposed to be an island 'team'?

-

The last of our Island's worries are about copying the UK's legislation. Given the bills at the past two Tynwald days, this isn't really happening anyway?

Our tarnished reputation is something that needs addressing the most IMHO, both for our international and local reputation. Mount Murray, MEA, Isle of Man Constabulary, our Chief Minister getting arrested! Scandal after scandal, and things that would make Ministers resign in any other parliamentary democracy, which brings me back to that old chesnut... consitutional reform. *sigh*

Bare minimum, the CM should have to sit in the House of Keys. At the end of the day we as the electorate currently have no direct say or influence in Government Policy as the head of the Executive is unelected. Although at best, it's only been the people of Malew & Santon and Onchan that have enjoyed that privilege of late, but better than nothing!

Something needs to change in the way the CM is elected. But to what?

Most important question to ask those knocking on our door for a vote over the coming months is "who would you vote to be the next CM?"

Incidentally - and lest we forget - the MHK who received the most votes by far from the electorate at the last election was Peter Karran MHK for Onchan.

The above poll might be fairer if all MHKs are listed, along with eligible MLCs (those who were previously elected as MHKs)

MLCs:

Pam Crowe

Alex Downie - Minister Trade and Industry

Donald Gelling

Eddie Lowey

Leonard Singer

George Waft

The above will be eligible for CM and do not have to go to the polls in November.

MHKs:

Allan Bell - Minister Treasury

Anne Craine

Eddie Teare

David Cannan

Hazel Hannan

Steve Rodan - Minister Health and Social Security

David Anderson - Minister Education

Martyn Quayle

Peter Karran

Richard Corkill

Adrian Earnshaw

John Houghton

Bill Henderson

David Cretney - Minister Tourism and Leisure

Adrian Duggan*

Phil Braidwood - Minister Transport

Brenda Cannell

John Shimmin - Minister Home Affairs

Dominic Delaney*

Tony Brown

Andrew Douglas

John Rimington - Minister Local Government and the Environment

Quintin Gill

Phil Gawne - Minister Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

* those who have indicated to date that they will not be standing at the next election

It is more than likely that some of the above MHKs will not be returned. It would be reasonable to elect a current Minister although this is not a necessity. Come November there should be some new faces in Tynwald and there is a possibility a new MHK could be voted as Chief Minister, although unlikely.

Edited to add Ministries

You forgot Clare Christian MLC or was she elected directly to MLC? Does being elected straight to MLC prevent you being made Chief Minister?

You forgot Clare Christian MLC or was she elected directly to MLC? Does being elected straight to MLC prevent you being made Chief Minister?

Clare Christian has been elected as an MHK (Ayre) for the term 1986-1991. She contested and lost her seat in the 1991 election. She was brought back into the fold as MLC in 1993 and placed there as an ordinary member of the public by the House of Keys, rather than elevate one of their sitting members. As such, because she is not a popularly elected member of Tynwald she would not be eligible for the post of Chief Minister.

Clare Christian has been elected as an MHK (Ayre) for the term 1986-1991. She contested and lost her seat in the 1991 election. She was brought back into the fold as MLC in 1993 and placed there as an ordinary member of the public by the House of Keys, rather than elevate one of their sitting members. As such, because she is not a popularly elected member of Tynwald she would not be eligible for the post of Chief Minister.

Are you sure? Gelling said he wouldn'd run for CM after the election, whereas this would imply that he couldn't seek another term as CM.

Donald Gelling was 'elevated' to the ranks of the Legislative Council from the House of Keys.

The question of his eligibility was raised at the time of his election to Chief Minister when a replacement for Richard Corkill was required. The point being is that Donald Gelling became an MLC via his election to the House of Keys and as such was introduced to Tywnwald from a General Election.

Clare Christian - and Dudley Butt - were elected to the Legislative Council straight from the ranks of the great unwashed (if they will excuse the turn of phrase) and as such would not be included in a ballot for the Chief Minister. Same goes for the Attorney General and Lord Bishop.

Donald Gelling was 'elevated' to the ranks of the Legislative Council from the House of Keys.

The question of his eligibility was raised at the time of his election to Chief Minister when a replacement for Richard Corkill was required. The point being is that Donald Gelling became an MLC via his election to the House of Keys and as such was introduced to Tywnwald from a General Election.

Clare Christian - and Dudley Butt - were elected to the Legislative Council straight from the ranks of the great unwashed (if they will excuse the turn of phrase) and as such would not be included in a ballot for the Chief Minister. Same goes for the Attorney General and Lord Bishop.

So whilst Christian had been an MHK, so wasn't at the time of her election to LegCo. I geddit.

Archived