Tynwald Day

ccm

Funny one this.

Is every employee in the Isle of Man entitled to a day off for Tynwald celebrations?

Those who have to work must they either be paid extra or get time off in lieu?

If an employee is given the day off must they get paid or can their employer close the business for the day and not pay staff?

Anyone know for certain what the employment law is regarding this or is it all down to what is stipulated in the contract between employee/employer?

Is every employee in the Isle of Man entitled to a day off for Tynwald celebrations?

I think most Government employees are entitled to the day off.

Oh but hang on a sec, does this mean that our MHKs get paid double time when attending Tynwald.

I mean they are entitled to the day off and all that. :)

I work Tynwald Day. No days in Lieu. No extra pay.

Same goes for Senior Race Day.

98% of our clients are UK based and it's in my contract to work Manx Bank Holidays. If you sign it, I don't think you can do much about it.

I get both in lieu and all of our clients are based off Island :)

I think Slinks said it all. It depends what your Contract of Employment say's.

It's a Public Holiday and you're usually paid for the day off but if you have to work it, it's usually as Double Time.

If Tynwald Day falls on a Saturday or Suday, it's then moved to the following Monday, so the same would apply.

That's how I pay my staff.

As I own the company, i get sod all, but a day out with the kids is well worth it and it is a special day :D

If Tynwald Day falls on a Saturday or Suday, it's then moved to the following Monday, so the same would apply.

IIRC Tynwald day cannot by law be on a Sunday - it will be moved to the Monday though I recall Mec Vannin wanting it still to be held on the Sunday - It can however still take place on a Saturday (possibly you may then give the holiday on the following Monday)

I've had it off several times, though I have never been paid for it. Other people that worked for me have had it off and I ended up having to pay them for having it off. It must be great when someone else pays you for having it off. I suppose the best situation is to have it off whether you are being paid for it or not.

_

Archived