Nation Commemorates 7/7 Bombings

Amadeus

Nation commemorates 7/7 bombings

(BBC)

The UK is commemorating the first anniversary of the London bombings that claimed 52 lives and injured hundreds.......At midday, a two-minute silence will be observed across the country, including Wimbledon and other events....

The Isle of Man is to join in a two minute silence later this week as those who died in the London Bombings are remembered.

The commemoration is at 12 noon on Friday.

It marks the first anniversary of the terrorist attack.

52 people were killed in four separate explosions within the city’s public transport system.

All organisations and individuals in the Island are invited to observe the silence.

(Energy)

A 2 min silence which I do not intend to observe. As terrible as any terrorist attack is and this one was, and the clear distress and grieving caused to the relatives of those killed, the victims of the London bombing were unfortunate in being in the wrong place at the wrong time and they join the tens of thousands of other victims of terrorist actions around the world. Let's put things into perspective - 50 people (on average) are killed in Iraq every day by terrorists. Do we have 2 mins silence for the victims of IRA terrorism, since appeased by Bliar? No.

The 2 mins silence is right and proper for the victims of the World Wars, many of whom did knowingly go to war aware of the risks and knowing that they might not return. The same cannot be said for those who sadly lost their lives this time last year. They were simply collatteral damage in this insane politico/relgious conflict in which we find ourselves embroiled. One 2 min silence on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month per year is quite sufficient.

A 2 min silence which I do not intend to observe. As terrible as any terrorist attack is and this one was, and the clear distress and grieving caused to the relatives of those killed, the victims of the London bombing were unfortunate in being in the wrong place at the wrong time and they join the tens of thousands of other victims of terrorist actions around the world. Let's put things into perspective - 50 people (on average) are killed in Iraq every day by terrorists. Do we have 2 mins silence for the victims of IRA terrorism, since appeased by Bliar? No.

The 2 mins silence is right and proper for the victims of the World Wars, many of whom did knowingly go to war aware of the risks and knowing that they might not return. The same cannot be said for those who sadly lost their lives this time last year. They were simply collatteral damage in this insane politico/relgious conflict in which we find ourselves embroiled. One 2 min silence on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month per year is quite sufficient.

Can I ask how you plan not to observe it? Presumably you will be in the company of other's at the time of the silence, school, work etc. So will you just sit there talking to yourself?

I think on the first anniversary it is quite acceptable to have a way of remembering people. However I believe that the Americans have taken it a step too far with the extensive rememberance service every year for September 11th.

I think you will be in an extremely minority by not observing this two minutes silence.

However contentious you may find it, Utah's point is valid none the less. I am not opposed to having a commemorative slience, however, as previously mentioned terrorist acitivites in Iraq alone count for on average over 50 deaths a day.

Why not commemorate them as well? Or shall we not bother because it is many miles away, and has dropped from the headlines recently?

I guess it sounds quite cynical, it's probably the idea of it happening on out home soil. The idea that people should be safe commuting to work, just like the do every other day of the year.

Another factor is possibly the idea of a "civialised" country. Iraq is a country which is having an active war fought in, it's also on the brink of a civil war, therefore aspects of terrorism are expected.

There will be no 2 min silence for Mr Charles the Brazillian electrician, i imagine? he too was an innocent victim.

As stated well by a previous poster, my 2 min silence is the unique preserve for the fallen in wartime

There will be no 2 min silence for Mr Charles the Brazillian electrician, i imagine? he too was an innocent victim.

As stated well by a previous poster, my 2 min silence is the unique preserve for the fallen in wartime

well done, its you right not to observe it, its a free world. But you score no brownie points by making a point to let every one know

Cant really remember asking for brownie points, are they something you look for or just award.

My reason for mentioning the point is because this is a discussion forum, repeat, discussion forum.

Hoorah...well said thar man (or woman?) I've been listening to what seems like wall to wall coverage of this memorial nonesense today and it really is a bit much. 11th Nov each year is he right time/place for this.

quite simply, if I wish to grieve, reflect or remember anything or anyone I will do it because I want to at whatever time of day or day of week it is and the notion that the government set a specific time for us to do that is offensive.

The families of all those people who were sadly caught up in the bombings of 7/7/05 have been grieving ever since that date and I think having days of mourning like today (or whatever you want to call it) only brings out a lot of the horrible gobshites who were probably also lining the streets of london when princess di or the queen mother died.

I think that a lot of people who observed the 2 minutes silence today did it for exactly the right reasons, and I'm not knocking anyone for that (I observed it although precisely what I thought about in those 2 minutes when our office fell silient are private to me).

I'm not very articulate when it comes to getting my point across here, but if anyone thinks that this kind of attitude, which seems to have been expressed by most people on this thread, is wrong or offensive or whatever then I can only suggest you do some reading and watching of the late great Bill Hicks who could spell out the truth better than any fucker I've ever been priveliged enough to come across in my time.

Have to agree with all the anti-silence posters here. A two minute silence escalated the terrible happenings of that day into a war, which isn't what is happening.

It was a terrorist attack, dreadful, awful and the repercussions go on. But despite all the hype, we are not at war.

I do not mean to diminish the anguish of those closely involved, but should we not have had a two minute silence for those killed at King's Cross, Hatfield, Piper Alpha, Spirit of Free Enterprise, Summerland, not to mention the various Irish problem bombings?

No, I think this is more to do with creating a "war" than recognising the victims.

i have found some of the posts on here quite appauling.

The terrorist attacks in london were a terrible event which shook the country....there will be people on the island who knew people who were involved or perhaps spent 7/7 trying to find out if their loved ones were ok.

People should show some respect....and share in remembering the worst terrorist attack to hit the United Kingdom.

I hope that some of this opposition isn't provoked by a childish "it didn't happen on the isle of man so it doesn't affect us" attitude.

Archived