Rss Feeds

ans

You might have noticed a new section at the bottom called 'RSS Testing'. As you can see, it's been open a while, just hidden from the public view.

For those that don't know what RSS is, here's the Wiki for it.

For those that don't understand, or couldn't be bothered reading, essentially an RSS feed is like an old fashioned news ticker. There are many ways and lots of programs for capturing these feeds and doing things with them.

What we're doing here is taking a news feed and making it auto create a new topic for each news item. The feed we're using right now is the BBC IOM feed because basically the IOMOnline one is a pile of shit and the wrapper concrete wrote for the Manx Radio one doesn't seem to integrate with Invision at all.

The plan is to have the topics actually piped and fed into here so they would appear as new posts in Local News. Right now, only mods/admins can reply in the testing forum so this is really for people to have a look and give any feedback as to whether they think this is a good idea or not in this thread. Will give it a few days for people to see what's what and then we'll make a decision.

Please put any comments or questions in here.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christ - It's like manxchatterbox has been given his own forum :D

I have a Google Alert for "Isle of Man" that throws up some interesting stories that don't make the local news or the BBC. Can something like that be added as well?

Sure, post the info and I'll have a look.

I *am* conscious that it may provide too much clutter and crappy topics, but that's why I'm asking what people thing.

There's no reason that other feeds can't be used. Really, I'd have preferred the Manx Radio site but as their new site design doesn't feature a decent RSS feed, we're kinda stuffed.

Well, as its a BBC feed - thats one button I wont be clicking - Unless I just happen to see the thread -

"IOM to get refunds on the TV Tax" -

Can we try to stay on topic in here please? I don't think we've had a TV licence thread for at least three days so go start a new one.

Ans, here's the google news feed rss for 'Isle of Man' news alert for the last 24 hours

http://news.google.com/news?svnum=10&as_sc...+man&output=rss

Added. It looks quite good actually, using IOMonline articles mostly but providing a decent feed of them without having to interpret them ourselves. Think it might have the ALL CAPS problem though.

It's actually a core module within Invision which ignores the board setting that prohibits all caps titles. I might submit it as a bug report, but in theory it could be fixable, I just don't want to go hacking round core modules that might break other things.

Archived