Rss Feeds

ans

Done. Feed piped to Local News and you should be able to reply to the topics as normal when they start to appear.

PM me with any problems or reply to this thread.

:blink: I can't see the RSS feed anymore at all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New threads will be in Local News right here. All the old ones have gone and the RSS Testing forum has been deleted.

I just can't see any of the RSS threads in local news at the moment, So the one about the grass fires warning isn't in local news, Only when there is more news it will update?

All the old ones prior to 11.30am were deleted. Sorry, it was just a faff to move them all into Local News because I'd have had to individually edit all the permissions for them.

I like the local RSS facility which I find a must to click through when I open up the forum, but I find it clutters up the Local News section. Or perhaps more importantly some of the items posted as 'local news' clutter up the RSS feeds.

I am sure there has been debate about this already so apologies if a decision has been made already. I would even suggest RSS having its own section under International News.

I think I prefered a separate RSS feeds section ... it serves a different purpose than the Local News section. Lots of RSS feeds are interesting to read, but I don't want to debate them. If there was space to have it as a testing section can't we have it as a permanent one ... or if they have to be in local news why not pin the latest 5 of them, but at the bottom of the page or something, and then let them just drop onto page 2 when they get bumped off.

I am sure there has been debate about this already so apologies if a decision has been made already. I would even suggest RSS having its own section under International News.

There was a debate about the introduction of them, but there's certainly going to be a review next week for feedback. If you can keep a note of example RSS item topics that may not be appropriate for Local News for then that would be grand.

Aye, the thing is that it also spewed a lot of crap out. Like I said, nothing is ever set in stone so we'll review and make changes if necessary.

The biggest bug bear about having lots of feeds is that the View New Post crew (of which I'm a member) get bothered by too many pointless topics (Hi MCB!)

RSS feeds are always going to vary from generally irrelevant to 'must read'.

I always read them, although sometimes not even go to the link. I don't want to necessarily comment on them, which is why they don't seem to sit well in a section that is for comment/debate - which Local News is by its very nature.

RSS is definitely a bonus to the forum though and I'm glad they are there. I wouldn't want to miss anything!

I'll try and find a way of making them appear as new topics in their own section that don't appear as new topics in View New Topics and include that in the review if it's possible.

Aye, the thing is that it also spewed a lot of crap out.

I quite enjoyed the stories from other countries that mentioned the Isle of Man. We don't normally get to see or hear about these.

What does the BBC feed give us? The SeaCat isn't working, but then I've already hear that three times on the radio this morning.

RSS seems to be a bit of a double edged sword in that you can pick up some really good news but it can also give you a plethora of every possible occurrence of say, "Isle of Man" or "Manx" .

If the feeds were put into their own area I am sure there are some of us :unsure: who would wade through and bring anything of interest to the Local News selection - and roll on the debate from there.

Archived