Manx Telecom

ccm

Just got my phone bills for Manx Telecom and O2

Itemised sections

19 m 33s phone call from my IOM home landline to a mobile phone in the Isle of Man £1.66 (call made at 21.11)

19 m 55s phone call from my O2 UK mobile (calling from the UK) to my wife's Manx Pronto mobile phone (in the Isle of Man) £0.34 (call made at 23.47)

How can MT justify the difference?

Aren't they related to O2?

You would have thought mobile to mobile would have cost more than landline to mobile as well

Should I go to OFT with this or am I just getting a fantastic deal from O2 (as they are in competition with Orange etc)

Have a search for "Manx Telecom" on these forums and you will find out just how bad they are when it comes to tariffs!!!

No competition you see so they have us by the short and curlies :angry:

Last Ten

If you've got Broadband and fancy changing why not find out what the forum advertisers Wi-Manx are like, then you could let the rest of us know.

If you don't fancy changing then just google voip or lookup voip-info they've got so much information about VOIP phone calls it'll make your head spin.

If you've got Broadband and fancy changing why not find out what the forum advertisers Wi-Manx are like, then you could let the rest of us know.

If you don't fancy changing then just google voip or lookup voip-info they've got so much information about VOIP phone calls it'll make your head spin.

Take your lap top and your Skype handset and sit in the Wifi zone at the Villa and use their broadband connection for free.

My UK phone is rental free - it was a deal where I paid a hundred quid 'up front for life' and I get 50 mins free a month and no rental charges

As for the Wi-band thingy I mailed them a couple of weeks ago but not got around to replying

Well if wi-Manx don't want your custom I'm sure that there are plenty of other providers that would be happy to take your money.

I signed up with voipbusters, 360 minutes per week of free landline calls to UK, US, Australia & stacks more, just so long as you keep a positive balance in your account. UK mobiles, including Manx pronto about 5p per min day or night.

Very cheap.

The software that they provide is pretty crappy looking, but once you've signed up you can use any softphone you like (except skype).

My UK phone is rental free - it was a deal where I paid a hundred quid 'up front for life' and I get 50 mins free a month and no rental charges

As for the Wi-band thingy I mailed them a couple of weeks ago but not got around to replying

ccm - I've personally replied to all the feedback received via the website and via email. If for some reason you never received a reply, drop me an email (info@wimanx.com) or a PM explaining when you sent the email. I'm happy to sort out a free trial for you on the VoIP. I'm actually trying to get the minimum contract reduced so we can offer no obligation trials on ADSL, unfortunately at the current time it is only on the ISP portion we can do this. The telco ADSL portion is 1 month in the UK, 12 months here :(

Perhaps someone from MT will read this and take note! perhaps they will even try to do something similar! perhaps they don't give a shit, yep that's more like it :angry:

MT =groupsky.gif

Last Ten

ccm - I've personally replied to all the feedback received via the website and via email. If for some reason you never received a reply, drop me an email (info@wimanx.com) or a PM explaining when you sent the email. I'm happy to sort out a free trial for you on the VoIP. I'm actually trying to get the minimum contract reduced so we can offer no obligation trials on ADSL, unfortunately at the current time it is only on the ISP portion we can do this. The telco ADSL portion is 1 month in the UK, 12 months here :(

Sorry concrete - I shoulda made it clearer - I haven't gotten around to replying - your mail came pretty soon after I enquired

BTW folks should there be an inquiry into MT like the energy prices review carried out by the OFT?

BTW folks should there be an inquiry into MT like the energy prices review carried out by the OFT?

There was a year or so back. The prices compare favourably.. ... ....

GOS report that in the majority of cases Manx Telecom’s prices compare favourably with the other countries

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/ebusiness/manxtelecomretai.xml

Hi concrete

Any chance of people just signing up for the Wi-manx voip service without the broadband.

I think the Isle of Man more than most places is crying out for a comprehensive and easy to use voip service.

How about selling hardware phones or adapters too and installing it for the customers, i think the problem with SIP as opposed to skype, is that the general public feel a little intimidated by the technology and the multitude of choices.

And if you look around the internet, things just get more confusing.

Have a look at this gizmo that I found. Not released yet but coming soon. Its an integrated modem, wireless router & dect phone. This is what the consumer wants, sell it pre-configured so that all somebody has to do is plug it in and everything works.

Or this one. Its only available to ISPs not to the general public, but hey aren't you an ISP? :)

Thanks Concrete for that link.

Manx Telecom’s prices compare less favourably for low speed broadband access (comparator countries offer access at 0.5 or 1 Mbps levels whereas Manx Telecom offers only a 2 Mbps service), pre-paid mobile services for domestic customers, and low capacity leased lines. Following the Communications Commission’s announcement of two new licensed providers in the Isle of Man, increased competition in mobile services will have a positive effect on the prices of pre-paid mobile service.

My argument all along with MT is their outrageous tariffs for pre-paid mobile phones in which loads of kids use for safety etc, they are the ones that are being ripped off with 25p per minute during the working day, now that is an absolute extortionate price :angry:

So what have MT done about it?

Sweet nothing, profits not people are their main agenda.

Last Ten

Archived