Electronic Voting In Tynwald

Fleur

Electronic Voting in Tynwald. Is it a good idea?

I notice that "it brings to an end the calling of individual MHKs to declare their vote one-by-one" and I'm not sure that this is an improvement. At present, we can hear every person declare their votes in an open and transparent way. So is this a step forward or not?

If we have to wait weeks to find out how everyone voted, then I think no. But if there is a sharp beep followed by an electronic voice identifying the offender when a vote is cast incorrectly (e.g. spoiled vote), then maybe it could prove to be a good idea.

From Manx Radio

Members of Tynwald will this week be asked to approve a major change in the way votes are recorded in the Court.

From December - after the General Election - the new-look house will start to use a new system of electronic voting.

It's been installed as part of the £11 million refurishment of the Tynwald Precincts - the wedding cake.

Listeners to Manx Radio's coverage of Tynwald will notice a difference, as it brings to an end the calling of individual MHKs to declare their vote one-by-one.

But President of Tynwald Noel Cringle (pictured) stresses electronic voting will ONLY be used after a division is called:

If we have to wait weeks to find out how everyone voted, then I think no. But if there is a sharp beep followed by an electronic voice identifying the offender when a vote is cast incorrectly (e.g. spoiled vote), then maybe it could prove to be a good idea.

At present we only get to hear how they voted if a "division" is called for at the end of voting, which it usually is - and recently even after everyone said 'aye', the proposer of the vote called 'division' just to reinforce the point!

Under the electronic system if a division is called for the clerk will read out how each MHK/MLC voted from, presumably, a computer monitor.

It is probably a good thing because some of the clowns/nodding donkeys - of which there are one or two - will not be able to see/hear how their mate voted before casting their own vote. It means they will have to stay more alert and that definitely won't sit pretty with head scratching sleepy heads that may have somehow got voted in.

Yes another vote for the 240v shock when they ignore and vote against the result of public consultations aswell.

How about a 240v (at least!) shock attached to a lie detector?

No, There wouldn't be anybody left!

Archived