Ramsey Pier Again

Theskeat

Anybody who, like me, would like to see the pier open again should write to anyone they can think of to make it happen. There are less worthy projects on the island that cost far more. The point about Laxey wheel is a good one, where would it be now if people just let it go and didn't fight for restoration?

the pier is part of the whole as far as the pourist industry is concerned. The decision to spend millions on the wedding cake hasn't been questioned, they can just as well do their work elsewhere, even a portakabin would do them, but they want a 'premier' building for it and are willing to pay over the odds for it, why not the same for Ramsey pier? A tourist attraction that will never make a profit in itself, like every other one on the island.

I was also born near Brighton and remember when both piers were open until finances forced the West pier to shut. Left to rot and vandalised until a group came up with the idea to renovate, going great guns until it mysteriously 'went on fire' as our friends from Scotland would put it. Not once but three times! Yes we know who did it and why but that doesn't help much. Here in Ramsey there is no competition and none on the island either, in fact it is unique here, even Laxey has two wheels now. Why can't Ramsey have just one working pier to regenerate the town a bit? It would be something for punters to come to see and bring money into the town, or is that the competition, somebody else having a tourist attraction?

If our MHKs were worth anything they would be lobbying now for restoration, but we may have to wait for after the election and see who gets what job for a possible reason for the inaction.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont Ramsey folk have the balls to take action or listen to what a MHK has said in Tynwald this week. He has tipped you off that you can force the owners by law to make improvements to the pier, if your not prepared to take action stop moaning about it and get on with it.

Dont Ramsey folk have the balls to take action or listen to what a MHK has said in Tynwald this week. He has tipped you off that you can force the owners by law to make improvements to the pier, if your not prepared to take action stop moaning about it and get on with it.

What has not been considered is the annual maintenance, and who will foot this bill. As a kid I enjoyed the pier a lot, but now it would not be used a great deal I fear.

So - rebuild or pull it down? Sadly I'll go for the pull it down option.

2) Hand it over to the people who really care and give them a grant to get them started. The supporters call in favours from anywhere they can and work around the clock, without pay, and get the job done for a fraction of the price.

I am no structural Engineer, but I am an engineer, and I can see that there isn't much wrong with that pier that cant be sorted by ordinary people. The pier is made of Cast Iron which is very, very resilient to rusting. Its not very strong, but there is nothing broken - so there's not a problem there.

The main problems, as far as I can see standing below it, is some rusting of the steel beams and the teak planking needs replacing.

The solution is to take the first bay and scaffold it out. Strip the planking off, replace any steelwork which is too far gone and sandblast the rest, prime and paint. Lay new Teak [or man made] planking and the job's a good one.

Open up the first bay to the public then start on the next one. The money will start coming in one people see things happening.

That's my two penny worth anyway - would that really be too hard to do?

That's more or less what the Select Committee suggested - they asked for supporters/charities etc to raise half a million to put away and invest for future maintenance over the years, with Government finding the 3.6 or 4.7 million quoted by the two companies (who are expert in doing exactly what you say) - to pay for a three year period of restoration. That would mean that Government, after the initial investment, would have no further liability (and therefore would not be able to neglect it again) and the new owners, a charity, would be able to develop further uses, as they were able, and use the interest on the half million to keep it maintained.

...and the new owners, a charity, would be able to develop further uses, as they were able, and use the interest on the half million to keep it maintained.

So, 4% of 500,000 = 20,000 which isn't going to be enough for maintenance. I doubt if anyone will donate money to this charity, especially as there are so many other charities begging for spare change.

I also doubt if any locals will be willing to pay to walk along the pier as there will be nothing at the end to see that you can't see elsewhere.

This project is doomed from the start.

What has not been considered is the annual maintenance, and who will foot this bill. As a kid I enjoyed the pier a lot, but now it would not be used a great deal I fear.

So - rebuild or pull it down? Sadly I'll go for the pull it down option.

Look at all of our tourist sites (stats in Tynwald this week) - they are getting very few visitors. Surely, we have to look at cost/benefit with these things in order to avoid having a bunch of beautiful white elephants?

There is a way that the Pier can justify its renovation, if only the residents, business owners and MHKs could see it :)

Which buisness owners?

The Snaefell Wheel project in Laxey Village was totally constructed by volunteers :rolleyes:

It was also sponsored by loads of buisness people and private people (inc me :huh: )

Here is a link to their website and please bear in mind that this project is all done and dusted with no real fuss at all - Snaefell Wheel

Last Ten

Archived