Syd Barrett R.i.p

ermo

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,

blown on the steel breeze.

Come on you target for faraway laughter,

come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.

Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.

Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,

rode on the steel breeze.

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,

come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

Bernie Quayle just playing/played Wish You Were Here

Typical mawkish sad old Smashie and Nicey deeeejay reaction. Why not play a song he had some part in writing or, at least, recorded? Rather than some old indulgent sad number which only legend and rumour tells us might have perhaps been about him.

B)

Typical mawkish sad old Smashie and Nicey deeeejay reaction. Why not play a song he had some part in writing or, at least, recorded? Rather than some old indulgent sad number which only legend and rumour tells us might have perhaps been about him.

Why do we have to be so negative? Yes, its an easy choice, but for Bernie's show you need to appeal to the masses. And Shine on You Crazy Diamond is far too long to play on-air. There have been various rants over the years over whether or not the song was actually written about Syd. But a great, very true story that I have heard Roger, David, Rick and Nick all say that while they were recording the album Syd himself paid a visit to the recording studio and it was one of the last times they saw him. They apparently didn't even recognise him at first when he very quietly entered the studio and didn't say a word.

Can we focus attention please back on the fact that a musical legend has passed.

Gilmour: (on Syd hearing 'Wish You Were Here') (Roger turned to Syd and asked) 'Well, Syd what do you think of that ?' Syd said, 'Sounds a bit old.' I believe Syd just got up and split not too long after that. After two years of nobody seeing him, of all the days for him to appear out of nowhere!

Roger Waters: When he came to the 'Wish You Were Here' sessions, ironic in itself....to see this great, fat, bald, mad person, the first day he came I was in fucking tears... 'Shine On, You Crazy Diamond' was not really about Syd, he's just a symbol for all the extremes of absence some people have to indulge in because the only way they can cope with how fucking sad modern life is to withdraw completely. And I found that terribly sad...

Rick Wright: I walked into the studio at Abbey Road, Roger was sitting, mixing at the desk, and I saw this big bald guy sitting on the couch behind. About 16 stone: huge, bald, fat guy. And I didn't think anything of it. In those days it was quite norm al for strangers to wander into our sessions. I thought, 'He looks a bit...strange' Anyway, so I sat down with Roger at the desk and we worked for about ten minutes, and this guy kept on getting up and brushing his teeth and then sitting, doing really weird things, but keeping quiet. And I said to Roger, 'Who is he?' and Roger said 'I don't know.' and I said 'Well, I assumed he was a friend of yours,' and he said 'No, I don't know who he is.' Anyway, it took me a long time, and then suddenly I realized it was Syd, after maybe 45 minutes. He came in as we were doing the vocals for 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond,' which was basically about Syd. He just for some incredible reason picked the very day that we were doing a song which was about him. It was a huge shock, because I hadn't seen him for about six years. He kept standing up and brushing his teeth, putting his toothbrush away and sitting down. Then at one point he stood up and said, 'Right, when do I put my guitar on?' And of course he didn't have a guitar with him. And we said, 'Sorry Syd, the guitar's all done'. That's what's so incredibly...weird about this guy. And a bit disturbing, as well, particularly when you see a guy and you don't recognize him. And then for him to pick the very day we start putting vocals on a song about him. Very strange.

Too many mushrooms i reckon.

a genius who was forgotten by the group he made famous

My arse. Gilmour and Waters assisted him on his two solo albums, and wrote Shine On and (apparently) Wish you were here about him. Waters made a reference to him at the Live8 reunion too, hows that forgotten?

Archived