Paying For Capacity - One Way Or The Other

manxchatterbox

did anyone listen to the MEA debate in Tynwald today???

lots of talk some by FMRCM about the gas pipeline capacity...apparently the MEA is contracted to use up to 15% of its capacity but at the moment only uses 6.4% and, if I understood what was being said, it has to pay for what its not using - so it would be cheaper if more gas were used...so the MEA want to lease out the space capacity so that the Irish can use more of the capacity for themselves....thing is though that there have been some more gas finds in the Celtic Sea

link:- http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast...story_id=717096

so Ireland will be looking to reduce the amount of gas it imports by the pipeline by being more reliant on domestic reserves - which means the MEA will end up paying for the unused pipeline capacity - doh!

Even Mr Speaker said the MEA should be getting CoMin approval should it want to dispose of pipeline capacity, 'cos if its sold off then it may be more expensive to buy it back if its needed in the long term future.

also Peter Karran referred to a firm called Herbert Smith being paid £1m in fees !!!!

and the MEA Chairman said it would cost £800 per household for every house not now connected to be connected.

also there MEA Board are looking at getting info by 31 July that would allow them to implement a fuel cost adjustment on 1st September - bigger bills on the way 'cos until a new pipeline from Norway to teh UK is completed as well as some LPG terminals the supply to the UK is likely to quite tight until late 2007 so the price this winter is likely to be going up...

....thing is though that there have been some more gas finds in the Celtic Sea

link:- http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast...story_id=717096

Great post mcb and very interesting.

Corrib is a massive find and once its on line both Irish interconnectors might end up under utilised.

its a fair bet capacity prices will tumble anyhow.

Seven Heads is a different story. It was once thought to be a massive find but there have been real geological problems which have resulted in some of the participants pulling out pronto.

Ramco publish frequent updates which are well worth tracking as the outcome could have a large effect on Manx Gas prices in the near future.

RAMCO

Herbert Smith are a big firm of international lawyers. Didn't listen to the debate so I don't know what exactly they were retained to do, but with the various contracts involved and the fallout after, I suppose it could be quite easy to rack up legal bills of that magnitude.

They ain't cheap these lawyers!

Supplier Date Increase Details Gas Price

Rise % Electric Price

Rise % Effective Date

Ecotricity 10/7/2006 Old & New Energy prices updated for

Scottish Power and Manweb regions

1/8/2006

Powergen 3/7/2006 Electricity Online Prices Updated

5/7/2006

Powergen 3/7/2006 Capped Version 9 introduced

Replaces Capped Version 8

5/7/2006

nPower 1/7/2006 Sign online 4.02 (SOL 4.02) introduced

Replaces Sign online 4 Tariff for existing customers

1/7/2006

Scottish Power 22/6/2006 Gas and Electricity prices increased

Capped Tariffs Unchanged

17% 10% 10/7/2006

Scottish Power 22/6/2006 Capped until October 2008 introduced

22/6/2006

Powergen 9/6/2006 Gas Guarantee Tariff Introduced

Guaranteed to be lower than British Gas until 2007.

Existing Customers not affected

9/6/2006

Powergen 9/6/2006 Energy Online Prices Updated

9/6/2006

EDF 5/6/2006 London, SeeBoard, SWEB re-branded EDF Energy

Prices for Existing Customers not affected

5/6/2006

British Gas 3/6/2006 Click Energy Electricity prices increased

Prices updated for existing customers on 1st July 21.8% 5/6/2006

EDF 17/5/2006 Online Tariff v.4.1 discontinued

Existing customers not affected

17/5/2006

Scottish & Southern 1/5/2006 Gas and Electricity prices increased

16.5% 9.4% 1/5/2006

British Gas 24/4/2006 Price Protection 2009 updated

2/5/2006

npower 11/3/2006 Standard & Juice Prices increased

SOL 4 Prices unaffected 15% 13.4% 1/4/2006

Powergen 2/3/2006 Gas and Electricity prices increased

Existing Customers not affected until 31st March 24.4% 18.4% 10/3/2006

Powergen 23/2/2006 Capped Until 1st March 2010 introduced

EDF 20/2/2006 Gas and Electricity prices increased

Online tariffs unaffected 14.7% 4.7% 13/3/2006

British Gas 18/2/2006 Price Protection 2009 and Click Energy introduced

British Gas 17/2/2006 Gas and Electricity prices increased

Standard & Discounted Prices Updated 22% 22% 1/3/2006

Scottish Power 11/2/2006 Gas and Electricity prices increased

Capped Tariffs Unchanged 15% 8% 1/3/2006

Scottish Power 14/1/2006 Online Energy Saver Tariff introduced

Scottish & Southern 1/1/2006 Gas and Electricity prices increased

13.6% 8.9-12% 1/1/2006

Powergen 15/12/2005 New Age Concern Tariff introduced

Powergen 8/12/2005 New Energy Online Tariff introduced

npower 14/11/2005 Sign online 3 (SOL 3) introduced. Prices increased

13.7% 12% 1/1/2006

Scottish Power 7/10/2005 Gas and Electricity Prices increased

12% 5-8%

British Gas 9/9/2005 Standard Electric & Gas Prices increased

14.2% 14.2% 19/9/2005

Ebico 1/9/2005 Gas and Electricity prices updated

EDF 1/8/2005 Gas and Electricity prices increased

12% 10.7%

Powergen

Herbert Smith are a big firm of international lawyers. Didn't listen to the debate so I don't know what exactly they were retained to do, but with the various contracts involved and the fallout after, I suppose it could be quite easy to rack up legal bills of that magnitude.

A million quid split between 30,000 houses on the island is still a £33 bill for each house.

Some people on this island need their arses firmly kicked.

I'm quick to criticise MCB for the number of shitty threads, but this is a good one with lots of relevant info and stuff. Please post more like this!

Agreed!

I think even Tynwald is getting fed up of the rapidly imploding ramifications for the consumer.

Slightly off thread but anyone else got a shitty letter about estimated readings with their bill demanding that someone has to come around and check the meter. We've not had a reading for two years and there is someone in the house fulltime, but we still get a stroppy letter like its our fault that some lazy b*stard has not found time to read the meter in 2 years.

Slightly off thread but anyone else got a shitty letter about estimated readings with their bill demanding that someone has to come around and check the meter. We've not had a reading for two years and there is someone in the house fulltime, but we still get a stroppy letter like its our fault that some lazy b*stard has not found time to read the meter in 2 years.

I got the same letter. Also will have to effectively double the direct debit from last year to cover this years costs. Don't even cook or heat using electricity. Rip off!

Well bring in some polish lawyers then that might save a few squid, they are replacing the building sector so why not the lawyers. :D

I'm quick to criticise MCB for the number of shitty threads, but this is a good one with lots of relevant info and stuff. Please post more like this!

but the children's summer holidays are nearly here and the silly season is upon us...so can't promise....besides there is the PFP and fund raising to think of......

would it be a supply answer to link in the Tynwald Chamber in time fo rnext winter....

this from the House of Lords

Tuesday 11 July 2006

Energy: Winter Preparations

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Trade and Industry (Lord Sainsbury of Turville): My right honourable friend the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (Alistair Darling) has made the following Written Ministerial Statement.

The National Grid winter 2006-07 consultation update document, published by Ofgem today, continues to indicate the possibility of a tight supply/demand balance for gas for winter 2006-07. This situation has led to concerns about high prices. The Government recognise the impact of high prices on domestic and industrial users and are therefore keen to ensure that early action is taken to maximise supplies of gas to the UK for next winter.

Archived