Young People - Only Worth 50%

manxchatterbox

In Tynwald they have been given a "progress report" by the CM on the Recommendations of the Commission of Enquiry into the Care of Young People - apparently 50% of the recommendations are being acted upon whilst the other 50% they reckon they need to "investigate" - in simple language this means that they would either: cost too much to implement or mean someone has to carry the can for previous failures - so the investigation is a way of ditching those recommendations those in power don't like - which if that happens what was the point of paying £2m for a report that's only partly implemented?? I'm with Bill Henderson on what he said.

so you think if we pay money for a report we should just blindly do whatever the hell it says regardless of any other considerations?

yeah nice one

cock

Ive always believed there is a lot of value in bench marking against recognised best practice in areas such as Social Services. It is a lot cheaper than funding public inquiries which mostly, anyhow, end up recommending we adopt established best practice.

Ive always believed there is a lot of value in bench marking against recognised best practice in areas such as Social Services. It is a lot cheaper than funding public inquiries which mostly, anyhow, end up recommending we adopt established best practice.

agreed but what seems to be the case is that the recommendations for best practice etc don't want to be implemented by some so they are suggesting that what they don't like they will look into and report back on, i.e shelve something like 50% of the recommendations...making the report a travesty...

In Tynwald they have been given a "progress report" by the CM on the Recommendations of the Commission of Enquiry into the Care of Young People - apparently 50% of the recommendations are being acted upon whilst the other 50% they reckon they need to "investigate" - in simple language this means that they would either: cost too much to implement or mean someone has to carry the can for previous failures - so the investigation is a way of ditching those recommendations those in power don't like - which if that happens what was the point of paying £2m for a report that's only partly implemented?? I'm with Bill Henderson on what he said.

I sat in on some of the sessions where the kids got to put their view across to the enquiry.

I would suggest that if you ask 12 - 16 years olds what they want 50% of the suggestions are going to be stupid because they are (surprise) 12 - 16 year olds.

Another conspiracy theory quashed MCB.

"I would suggest that if you ask 12 - 16 years olds what they want 50% of the suggestions are going to be stupid because they are (surprise) 12 - 16 year olds".

but the recommendations didn't come from 12 - 16 year olds they came from the £2million pound report produced for the enquiry http://www.gov.im/cso/commission/ and written by Mark Everall QC - of which it looks like 50% isn't going to be acted upon if CoMin start to "investigate".........

Investigate could mean that they investigate how best to implement given the Island's governmental / local governmental set-up, as our esteemed Chief Minister indicated in his radio interview this morning. It doesn't mean that some or all won't in fact be implemented.

Archived