At Last

Theskeat

First time i've commented on this but How can she be entitled to legal aid ?

That is just plain wrong.

A bit off thread, but in general terms the more you read about these grant schemes the better they sound to us skint people. Does anyone know if you apply for these grants do the Gov take a charge over your property like any other mortgae / loan or are they unsecured?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And to indicate the position about Legal Aid and stuff:

TREASURY

Ballacain tourist accommodation Payment from public funds for former Chief Minister's legal fees

6. The Hon. Member for Douglas East (Mrs Cannell) to ask the Minister for the Treasury:

Has there been, or is there likely to be, payment made from public funds in respect of any legal fees incurred by the former Chief Minister in all matters relating to the Ballacain Tourist Accommodation Development?

The President: Question 6. Hon. Member for Douglas East, Mrs Cannell.

Mrs Cannell: Thank you, Mr President. I beg leave to ask the Question standing in my name.

The President: Hon. Minister for Treasury, Mr Bell.

The Minister for the Treasury (Mr Bell): Thank you, Mr President. I understand that there has not been any payment made from public funds in respect of legal fees, incurred by the former Chief Minister, Mr Corkill, MHK, in respect of any matter relating to the Ballacain tourist accommodation development. Furthermore, I do not expect there to be any future claim for such payment

Source Hansard: TYNWALD COURT, TUESDAY, 14th DECEMBER 2004 page 398

if it goes the distance Julie Corkill's legal bill will probably top £100K - all paid for by your taxes as she is receiving Legal Aid.

..and why is she receiving Legal Aid???

THE LOOPHOLE

You don't have to meet any financial conditions to qualify for Advocacy Assistance, except if it's a prison hearing.

The other type of help is called Representation. It covers representation by a solicitor and, if necessary, by a barrister in criminal cases.You'll usually get help with representation in a criminal case, as long as it's in the interests of justice that you are legally represented. This means, for example.if you are likely to go to prison or lose your job if you are convicted.

Representation does not cover minor offences such as motoring offences.

Your financial circumstances will not be taken into account when deciding whether you qualify for Representation. However, if your case goes to the Crown Court, you could be ordered to pay towards the costs of Representation if the judge believes this would be reasonable. Your financial circumstances will be taken in account when deciding if it is reasonable for you to pay.

Who needs RSS, eh?

????? :blush:

You really are a daft **** (sorry). This information is clearly about England and Wales

I hope you are prepared to eat your words s quick.

And to indicate the position about Legal Aid and stuff:

TREASURY

Ballacain tourist accommodation Payment from public funds for former Chief Minister's legal fees

6. The Hon. Member for Douglas East (Mrs Cannell) to ask the Minister for the Treasury:

Has there been, or is there likely to be, payment made from public funds in respect of any legal fees incurred by the former Chief Minister in all matters relating to the Ballacain Tourist Accommodation Development?

The President: Question 6. Hon. Member for Douglas East, Mrs Cannell.

Mrs Cannell: Thank you, Mr President. I beg leave to ask the Question standing in my name.

The President: Hon. Minister for Treasury, Mr Bell.

The Minister for the Treasury (Mr Bell): Thank you, Mr President. I understand that there has not been any payment made from public funds in respect of legal fees, incurred by the former Chief Minister, Mr Corkill, MHK, in respect of any matter relating to the Ballacain tourist accommodation development. Furthermore, I do not expect there to be any future claim for such payment

Source Hansard: TYNWALD COURT, TUESDAY, 14th DECEMBER 2004 page 398

That is in respect of the civil matter, not the criminal case.

A pint for the moderator that would kindly go and sort the quotes out in Theskeats and Ian Rush's posts. (Ian - I expect better from you . . :) )

Grateful for the link Lard, but the Tynwald Question refers to MR Corkill, it is Mrs Corkill being tried.

The question refers back to when Mr Corkill was being investigated and had legal representation.

Edit: The IOM Online Link was interesting :)

Contrary to practice of some users of this forum I believe it better to provide sources of information:

iomtoday.co.im provide accurate reporting, however the root source of the above report is here:

House Of Keys Questions 25th June 2002 go to page KQ 204

The question was actually directed at the matter concerning the Film Studios, but there are some interesting points about grants in general.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Grants but Were Afraid to Ask as Woody Allen might say.

edited to correct IoM Newspapers URL

Next week, I shall see the bar man of your favourite pub and leave a pint behind the bar. The bar man will tell you of a rather weird looking bloke with sticky up hair who looked not unlike Don King the boxing promoter.

So thank you for the fix, it makes the thread look a little less amateurish than it deserves.

A pint for the moderator that would kindly go and sort the quotes out in Theskeats and Ian Rush's posts. (Ian - I expect better from you . . :) )

Ahem!

Having been at the forefront of a major corporation for more years than I care to count I can assure everyone that it is CONTENT and NOT presentation that is the key.

However this is a major issue that goes right to the core of government so by all means give yourselves a big pat on the back for making a major effort to sort out - the presentation. Heroic stuff, your efforts are much appreciated so keep up the good work not. But whatever you do don't actually put forward an opinion. Oh sorry, I seem to have given you more credit than is due.....

It's almost as pathetic as claiming that "The Skeat" is "FCMR" and giving yourself a big pat on the back for doing so.

WGAFFFCS! Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying: "Life get a FFS".

Ooh bit harsh there PK.

I have to say presentation is very important. Anything will not be given much of a glance if it does not look appealing/interesting/easily digested, etc. . However, there is a fine balance to be struck between presentation and content. If the content is quality, then the presentation should be quality too. Too often, presentation is quality but the content is crap. If you care about anything that you have created, then you should want to give it the presentation it deserves. If, on the other hand, you have created crap it won't take long for most discerning audiences to see through the presentation.

Ahem!

Having been at the forefront of a major corporation for more years than I care to count I can assure everyone that it is CONTENT and NOT presentation that is the key.

However this is a major issue that goes right to the core of government so by all means give yourselves a big pat on the back for making a major effort to sort out - the presentation. Heroic stuff, your efforts are much appreciated so keep up the good work not. But whatever you do don't actually put forward an opinion. Oh sorry, I seem to have given you more credit than is due.....

It's almost as pathetic as claiming that "The Skeat" is "FCMR" and giving yourself a big pat on the back for doing so.

WGAFFFCS! Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying: "Life get a FFS".

Archived