Car Tax Going Up

manxchatterbox

the debate is underway in Tynwald right now on MR MW1368...just heard Phil Braidwood saying there will be a new category for private vehicles with engines over 3500cc whereas the duty at the moment is £184 it will be in a new band and at a rate of £260 an increase of £76 or 41.3% - hope none of the forum members have the luxury of such big engined vehicles...then again if you can afford a Chelsea Tractor to run the kids to school in you will be able to afford the tax....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any problem with taxing cars according to their engine size and/or emissions.

As much as I like flash cars (for the record I drive a bit of a banger) I can't see the need for something with 3.5l+ engine when you live on the Isle of Man.

Whilst I would agree with higher rates of road tax for the bigger, petrol guzzling, excess emission types of vehicles, I still think the overall road tax should come down.

IMHO the DoT have far too many people employed there (now over 700 - which works out at one per mile). The DoT functionality needs to be properly reviewed. There are obviously rafts of people working there with nothing to do and all day to do it - spending far too much of our money on unnecessary consultations and other ill-thought out initiatives.

well Albert you should perhaps have lobbied yours and other MHK's before the vote 'cos its too late now :-(

...then again someone on a different thread made a comment about Douglas Corpy Councillors and the publication in advance of teh Agenda on the web-site that they are elected to make decisions on behalf of the electorate so what's the point of lobbying???

I think size and weight should be taken into consideration

I have a small car but as it's a Diesel it's a 1.9 and costs far too much to tax imho

I have a small car but as it's a Diesel it's a 1.9 and costs far too much to tax imho

Ditto. Diesel 1.9. The onboard computer thing shows that it's averaging slightly over 52 mpg on the IOM.

I have two cars - one that I use relatively infrequently (ie short trips maybe 3 or 4 times a week) which is 2.0L and a 4x4 that I tend to use less, (only really to transport bulky stuff, to tow my boat a few times a year, and if the car is not working for any reason) so not all that often but it's a 2.5L diesel so costs the same again in tax.

Which is pretty w@nk when I can only actually be driving one or the other at any one time (no-one else drives them) so I do no more driving or pollution than the next person in reality but pay twice as much tax.

Ace. :whatever:

Maybe they're grading it when you're sat in it?

well that's the last time I help you out in an instance you lanky fuck!

Which is pretty w@nk when I can only actually be driving one or the other at any one time (no-one else drives them) so I do no more driving or pollution than the next person in reality but pay twice as much tax.

So would a toll system work better for you? Pay As You Go driving as such.

Archived