Car Tax Going Up

manxchatterbox

Some cars say more about their drivers than others !!!

gives me a warm happy feeling as I drive a 600cc SMART car - ideal for Manx roads, can park almost anywhere (even disallowing the Manx plates giving permission to park on double yellow lines) and do a three point turn in almost any manx lane if necessary

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fooking hell, what a bunch of self righteous carrot eating leftie beardies some of you are. Give any of you a brand new Range Rover with a full tank of petrol and you would leave behind your crappy little sheds without a second glance. Admit it, you know its true :lol:

gives me a warm happy feeling as I drive a 600cc SMART car - ideal for Manx roads, can park almost anywhere (even disallowing the Manx plates giving permission to park on double yellow lines) and do a three point turn in almost any manx lane if necessary

Smarts are ace! :)

Drove a few over the years, and you can really park almost anywhere with them - the only bit that's scary is going on the Autobahn - you feel a little bit too small next to lorries, and it only does about 90...

P.S.: Does it still have that annoyingly slow gearbox? Change gear..wait..wait...wait..gear in - was the only down point I found on it...

What about the Saab that parks up by the Head - Manx Tax Disk - English private plates. Ive not checked to see if its in date - but its got a Manx number plate on the disk. A dupe? mistake?. Is he going to pay the extra - as well as a buying a UK tax disc?

Also - a number of motors have appeared with manx (red flash, hyphen) plates - but non manx numbers (i.e UK numbers and letters - no MAN - or MN ident.) - a ploy by UK drivers to avoid ANPR systems? - or a ploy by manx drivers to avoid the Manx test and Manx car tax, indeed car tax and MOT if needed - and insurance - altogether?

P.S.: Does it still have that annoyingly slow gearbox? Change gear..wait..wait...wait..gear in - was the only down point I found on it...

yes - no real problem unless you get to a roundabout doing about 25 and decide to zoom across - the hesitation can be frighteniung ! I did a lot of motorway driving (have 2 cars one on Island, one across) - you feel just as insecure as on a motorbike next to the juggernauts - suspect German Autobahns are something else tho driven it on French motorways and no problem as they seem very well policed/radar trapped

Also - a number of motors have appeared with manx (red flash, hyphen) plates - but non manx numbers (i.e UK numbers and letters - no MAN - or MN ident.) - a ploy by UK drivers to avoid ANPR systems? - or a ploy by manx drivers to avoid the Manx test and Manx car tax, indeed car tax and MOT if needed - and insurance - altogether?

It is quite difficult to get UK plates made unless you bring along all the necessary documentation - possibly easier to have a 'spare pair' don on the Island - however I have seen the reverse Manx numbers with a blue Euro flash

.... taking up two parking spaces ....

that may apply to some of the 'tanks' around, or some of the drivers, but I have often watched people in minis or similar size vehicles trying to get into a tight parking space on the prom and when they gave up put my old rangie straight in there, maybe winching the front in sideways on the power steering. The 100" wheelbase was very useful making it a very nimble machine.

My wife drives our in "automatic" mode and it can be ponderous. When I drive it I shift "manually" and I find it a lot better

. I'm sick of 4 x 4 driving morons -

Just remember that next time you see a Mitsubishi Pajero you can smile in a knowing way as "Pajero" is a slang Spanish word for "Wanker". We have a neighbour with one. I smile at him and give his car a look of admiration .Little does he know what I am thinking :rolleyes:

Some cars say more about their drivers than others !!!

I had heard that. Sadly I'm guessing that "Range Rover" is not Swahili for "Smug Self Righteous t**t"

I like the way these people think that you're zealous of them if you say anything. Someone at work recently pointed out that I hated his tank because I was envious - so I pointed out the dealer sticker on his rear window which suggested that it was probaly on lease and asked whether he was crapping a brick about the bubble payment 3 years down the line.

Eerie silence.

i dont agree with someones point in saying that anyone who drives around in a large engined car should be able to afford the insurance, if they can afford the car in a sense... it all seems another way to make more money rather than 'help the environment'... I mean come on... isn't the new island 'tax free branding', construction of new appartments and large houses aimed at attracted big businesses and rich people over to the island? In theory richer people tend to buy more flashy, 'bigger engined' cars yars? So we attract the rich people over and then find ways in which to take their money from them whilst also crippling little old me in my 2 litre! And im a student... I like driving a powerful car, the insurance is enough as it is, and now im paying £140 or whatever it is for my tax!

i dont agree with someones point in saying that anyone who drives around in a large engined car should be able to afford the insurance, if they can afford the car in a sense... it all seems another way to make more money rather than 'help the environment'... I mean come on... isn't the new island 'tax free branding', construction of new appartments and large houses aimed at attracted big businesses and rich people over to the island? In theory richer people tend to buy more flashy, 'bigger engined' cars yars? So we attract the rich people over and then find ways in which to take their money from them whilst also crippling little old me in my 2 litre! And im a student... I like driving a powerful car, the insurance is enough as it is, and now im paying £140 or whatever it is for my tax!

What tends to happen in a 'free society' is that things are never outlawed straight away. They tend to be minimised first through lobby groups and then eventually the government making everyone who carries out 'the activity' feel 'isolated and got at' for doing it, then they raise the costs of 'the activity' through taxation, and eventually outlaw the activity for the few left doing it. In this process, 'rich people' are usually the last to be effected, 'poorer people' next to last, and students first.

Archived