Mannin Line Motion Fails In Tynwald

Albert Tatlock

According to MR "A bid to persuade Manx Radio to re-introduce the weekday Mannin Line in the build-up to November’s general election has been defeated in Tynwald. Michael MHK David Cannan wanted the Court to request such a move to encourage added debate. However, the motion was defeated by 14 votes to six in the House of Keys and seven votes to one in the Legislative Council".

Seems like a vote against free speech to me. Or were Tynwald frightended that somehow, somewhere, they could get sued if they appeared to back this, if someone slandered someone on this programme in the future?

According to MR "A bid to persuade Manx Radio to re-introduce the weekday Mannin Line in the build-up to November’s general election has been defeated in Tynwald. Michael MHK David Cannan wanted the Court to request such a move to encourage added debate. However, the motion was defeated by 14 votes to six in the House of Keys and seven votes to one in the Legislative Council".

Seems like a vote against free speech to me. Or were Tynwald frightended that somehow, somewhere, they could get sued if they appeared to back this, if someone slandered someone on this programme in the future?

But surely it doesn;t mean MR could bring it back if they wanted to.

The Skeet,

In the UK during election time, the press HAS to give the same amount of time and space as that afforded to polititions
I'm confused by your post.

Manx Radio usually give equal time to candidates in the run up to elections. Albert's opening post is in relation to Manx radio giving air time for the public to hopefully discuss political matters.

Which page of the rule book says that the public HAVE to be given equal time and space as the candidates? (which is what I assume you are answering to).

If Manx Radio don't want to reintroduce the Mannin Line, that is between them and the listeners (us), not the Government.

Have you listened to the moanin line recently? The same boring old ruins with little of interest to say. Dan D.'s mandate program is much better as it's themed, I assume he'll continue with this in the months and weeks before the election.

I think it's best that the government does not set Manx Radio's agenda.

It seemed to me to be a vote in favour of free speech, as in the station can programme what it wants rather than be dictated by the govt.

I agree.

I wouldn't like politicians to have the say on what or what not is allowed to be broadcast, or published, in the local media.

I think, in reference to the election, that open meetings should be held and those meetings recorded and broadcast by all radio media.

There is no need to keep all meetings in individual areas as we should all have an opportunity to question the men and women who wish to take our shillng and represent the people of the island.

Perhaps the President's job should be tied up, date-wise, with the election too. At present we have had people voting Noel Cringle in as president even though they themselves, although paid by us, are not our representives and some of them will be sure to lose their places in November yet have had a pre-election say in this important five year appointment.

I've wondered off again, sorry, but back on topic

If the weekday mannin line format was such a good one, why didn't one of the other stations pick up the ball and run with it?

I agree the 'Mannin Line' formula was pretty crap - a 'question time' or 'any questions' style format might be much better and could be recorded, perhaps with the option to call back the next day to discuss what was said (i.e. like what Radio 4 do). A strong chairperson keeping people on track is always necessary on these things otherwise people will meander.

I agree that the government shouldn't set MR's agenda or programming. But IMHO they should 'encourage' MR to allow people to air their views. We have few methods of doing this as it is.

I agree the 'Mannin Line' formula was pretty crap - a 'question time' or 'any questions' style format might be much better and could be recorded, perhaps with the option to call back the next day to discuss what was said (i.e. like what Radio 4 do). A strong chairperson keeping people on track is always necessary on these things otherwise people will meander.

I agree that the government shouldn't set MR's agenda or programming. But IMHO they should 'encourage' MR to allow people to air their views. We have few methods of doing this as it is.

And keep the mad Count off the air - please.

Thank god, there's enoiugh of Roy and C(o)unt Morenzi on Sundays, did you hear the mad count last week, he suggested that the best way to sort out the middle east problem was to nuke Israel!!! Someone told me that he isn't titled anyway and that his title derives from when he played in a band, so why does he still use it, delusions of grandeur? Do you know who I was?

... the best way to sort out the middle east problem was to nuke Israel!!!

He may have a point there.

Do you know who I was?

I'm sure Matron can remember :-)

I don't think it is a requirement for candidates to take part in public meetings, if not maybe it should be and as Fleur says, these should be broadcast nationaly*.

If the Government want more of the public to become interested in politics then they should be prepared to meet the public, en masse if need be.

* ie that the public demand that their radio staion broadcast it.

Archived