Derbyhaven And All That

lard

Manx Independant reports that the planning appeal by the residents of Derbyhaven has been put back until June 19. But it doesn't say why. Does someone who knows please post up the reason - thks

Nothing particularly unusual, simply that not all the parties to the appeal could fit in with the original hearing date so its been rescheduled for a more suitable date. If anything it probably benefits the appellants (the local residents) as it gives them more time to prepare. Sorry, no conspiracy.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems unbelievable that the Golf Links Hotel can't make it self pay, and has apparently lost upto £200,000 per year. With the popularity of Golfing Holidays, and the gorgeous scenery on the course, it can only be mismangement surely.

There are a couple of problems here. If you're in the UK, are you going to drive to Scotland, or take a ferry to Ireland, either option has a wealth of great courses and varied nightlife, or would you head to Spain for guaranteed sunshine?

Now compare this with the expense of getting to the island, and finding no courses in particularly good condition, and only Castletown, Peel and to a lesser extent Ramsey worth playing.

It;s just no contest, golf holidays are never going to be big on the IoM.

When it says building on the golf course, they dont mean ON the golf course do they?

It's a roughly triangular bit of land between the road into Derbyhaven and the existing houses. I'm not totally sure but I don't think the proposal effects the existing golf course.

When it says building on the golf course, they dont mean ON the golf course do they?

It's a roughly triangular bit of land between the road into Derbyhaven and the existing houses. I'm not totally sure but I don't think the proposal effects the existing golf course.

Blimey, if it's where I think, that's stuck into a right bleak corner. Strange positioning.

It is delayed as one of the lawyers is engaged in a trial and so cannot attend until later in the year.

The triangle of land is on the very outskirts of the golf course but some of the golfers consider it will adversely affect the facility.

The residents hope that Mr Ferguson-Lacey will just not proceed with this idea. They see it as a destruction of the hamlet and competely alien.

To Appeal you have to be regarded as an interested party. If you are not, one way to be involved is by being a witness for those who are. It is really up to the Inspector who conducts the Appeal Hearing - some are more flexible than others, but usually in a major Inquiry they allow those who attend the Hearing to have their say. What notice they take of them is unknown.

As long as their comments are related to planning they should be taken into account as a material consideration. The planning inspector's job is to weigh all of the material considerations up and come to a reasoned decision. Essentially they are the fulcrum in the balance.

Unfortunately I suspect that a lot of the Derbyhaven residents are actually more concerned about additional houses being built near their expensive homes and the effect on their house prices, which smacks of nimbyism to me. I always find it strange when people say houses shouldn't be built next to their house, just exactly how did their house get there?

At the end of the day, even if approved, Mr Ferguson-Lacey has a bit of a track record of getting planning approvals and then never doing anything with them. It appears to be some sort of modern day safari sport for him.

As long as their comments are related to planning they should be taken into account as a material consideration. The planning inspector's job is to weigh all of the material considerations up and come to a reasoned decision. Essentially they are the fulcrum in the balance.

Unfortunately I suspect that a lot of the Derbyhaven residents are actually more concerned about additional houses being built near their expensive homes and the effect on their house prices, which smacks of nimbyism to me. I always find it strange when people say houses shouldn't be built next to their house, just exactly how did their house get there?

At the end of the day, even if approved, Mr Ferguson-Lacey has a bit of a track record of getting planning approvals and then never doing anything with them. It appears to be some sort of modern day safari sport for him.

Sometimes he sells them back to Government and gets a fat profit at taxpayers expense!

It is delayed as one of the lawyers is engaged in a trial and so cannot attend until later in the year.

The triangle of land is on the very outskirts of the golf course but some of the golfers consider it will adversely affect the facility.

The residents hope that Mr Ferguson-Lacey will just not proceed with this idea. They see it as a destruction of the hamlet and competely alien.

To Appeal you have to be regarded as an interested party. If you are not, one way to be involved is by being a witness for those who are. It is really up to the Inspector who conducts the Appeal Hearing - some are more flexible than others, but usually in a major Inquiry they allow those who attend the Hearing to have their say. What notice they take of them is unknown.

surely its up to the Minister as how often do they over-rule the inspector!!

It does happen but not very often. I personally think that the planning inspector's recommendation should be the final decision but I suspect that Tynwald doesn't like giving such power to someone who is off island.

B)

It does happen but not very often. I personally think that the planning inspector's recommendation should be the final decision but I suspect that Tynwald doesn't like giving such power to someone who is off island.

Of course the last (now ex) minister Mr. Rimmington, seemed to be in a habit of overruling the inspector - always in favour of the developer......... now I wonder why he would go against the original planning decisions, the planning review and the planning appeal. He must have had a good reason ?????????????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Met a long ex planning minister the other week (not the above) who had just come back from a month in his spanish apartment.

B)

I have no opinion about this decision of Mr Rimmington but I do believe he was an asset to the Manx Government and to the environmental movement. The staff in DOLGE were very sad to see him lose the election.

I hope at some stage he will return.

I have no opinion about this decision of Mr Rimmington but I do believe he was an asset to the Manx Government and to the environmental movement. Some of the staff in DOLGE might have been very sad to see him lose the election.

I hope at some stage he will return.

Fixed your post

Archived