Derbyhaven And All That

lard

Maybe I know something too but unlike you I have no possible access to inside information.

Good to have someone who will spill the beans if by any chance they have it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I know something too but unlike you I have no possible access to inside information.

Good to have someone who will spill the beans if by any chance they have it.

Sorry, they'll be no spilling of beans (I honestly don't think there any to spill) as I wouldn't want anyone to be put in an inappropriate position. I think DLGE (primarily the planning arm of them) get unfairly slagged off in many places including this forum. Planning is always controversial whevever you are as there is nearly always those for and those against development. Sometimes based on the attitude of some I wonder how the human race ever manage to built anything anywhere.

Anyway, for the record I fully support the intentions of the likes of SPMCE and wish others would take a more reasoned and subjective approach to assessing things.

Semi-rant over, off to see whether that boat has sunk yet.

Well you have made my day. I'll pass this on to our over worked Planning Officer at SPMCE.

As you imply planning is a very difficult issue. It is relatively easy to get people on your side if you are in charities like Hospice but a planning charity such as the SPMCE which is involved in the concientious and thoughtful approach to extremely difficult arguments, is not for those who want a comfortable life.

I agree with you a thoughtful approach by all is needed not just one which seeks to get media publicity with sound bites.

Have you ever spoken to these people - Planning Aid?

No I haven't as our Planning Officer gives appropriate professional advice. However thank you for the link and I will be in touch with them. A very useful contact I would say.

I have been helped by the Civic Trust and also the Capaign to Protect Rural England as well of course with links to Friends of the Earth etc.

I have no opinion about this decision of Mr Rimmington but I do believe he was an asset to the Manx Government and to the environmental movement. The staff in DOLGE were very sad to see him lose the election.

I hope at some stage he will return.

Obviously what you believe and what DOLGE staff thought of him, if you are to be believed, was not felt by the general public - who proceeded to dump him. It is called democracy - where everyone's opinion counts - unlike the goings on in the planning department =.

I have no opinion about this decision of Mr Rimmington but I do believe he was an asset to the Manx Government and to the environmental movement. The staff in DOLGE were very sad to see him lose the election.

Obviously what you believe and what DOLGE staff thought of him, if you are to be believed, was not felt by the general public - who proceeded to dump him. It is called democracy - where everyone's opinion counts - unlike the goings on in the planning department =.

I have had a lot of dealings with DOLGE over the years and certainly the people I speak to think highly of Mr Rimmington. I have no axe to grind for or against him.

Once you are a politician however views get split and unless you are able to carry the people who vote, you will lose office. I think in this last election Mr Rimmington was under a lot of pressure with bereavements and n high workload he wasn't able to canvas as he would have liked.

Having said this personally I am pleased Rushen had such an array of good people standing and those who were elected are capable.

I have had a lot of dealings with DOLGE over the years and certainly the people I speak to think highly of Mr Rimmington. I have no axe to grind for or against him.

Once you are a politician however views get split and unless you are able to carry the people who vote, you will lose office. I think in this last election Mr Rimmington was under a lot of pressure with bereavements and n high workload he wasn't able to canvas as he would have liked.

Having said this personally I am pleased Rushen had such an array of good people standing and those who were elected are capable.

High work load ? Isn't that part of the package of being an MHK ? Did the election catch him by surprise, so he wasn't ready ?

Do you really think that knocking on doors and talking to people would change their opinion of him ? An opinion that had been formed over his last five years in office ? Of course one might think it was rather convenient for him not having to answer the question from his constituants - Why did you overrule the planning department and planning inspector and grant planning permission for Scarlett Mr. Rimmington ?

High work load ? Isn't that part of the package of being an MHK ? Did the election catch him by surprise, so he wasn't ready ?

Do you really think that knocking on doors and talking to people would change their opinion of him ? An opinion that had been formed over his last five years in office ? Of course one might think it was rather convenient for him not having to answer the question from his constituants - Why did you overrule the planning department and planning inspector and grant planning permission for Scarlett Mr. Rimmington ?

For your information I have always supported the Save our Scarlett campaign. I am not an apologist for any politician. Your questions are relevant and I hope you get a satisfactory answer from your MHK's.

I am simply making the point that most of the environmentalists think Mr Rimmington was doing a good job but there are always decisions we can disagree with. Housing however is needed and so perhaps that was the main criteria for his decision. He must have known at the time it would have been unpopular with the voting public.

For your information I have always supported the Save our Scarlett campaign. I am not an apologist for any politician. Your questions are relevant and I hope you get a satisfactory answer from your MHK's.

I am simply making the point that most of the environmentalists think Mr Rimmington was doing a good job but there are always decisions we can disagree with. Housing however is needed and so perhaps that was the main criteria for his decision. He must have known at the time it would have been unpopular with the voting public.

Which goes back to what I have said earlier about lack of transparancy. Was housing the main criteria for his dicision ? Was it something else ? We shall never know . Only Mr. Rimmington knows . And maybe the developers.

• 2 weeks later...

Which goes back to what I have said earlier about lack of transparancy. Was housing the main criteria for his dicision ? Was it something else ? We shall never know . Only Mr. Rimmington knows . And maybe the developers.

And now it is official . Deemster Kerruish has ruled that Rimmington used his personal opinion in going against the planning inspector at Cregneish. Read below:

MNH lodged a petition of doleance against the decision of local government minister Mr Rimington and the finding was handed down this week.

Deemster Kerruish said 'The divergence of views between the minister and the inspector as to such matters cannot be said to be policy driven, but must be viewed as personal opinions on the part of the minister.

People like him demonstrate that transparancy is required. How many of his other decisions have been down to his personal whim (however he makes it).

Personal likes and dislikes are part of life - political, planning, the judges or otherwise. It is not a perfect system but there are checks and balances in place for decisions to be changed. The ballot box and the courts sometimes work!

I congratulate MHN on their stance and personally welcome Deemster Kerruish's judgment.

However housing needs to be sorted out. That is a political decision which will now have to be made by a different Minister.

Archived