Mr Gelling Goes To Washington

Albert Tatlock

I'm not sure about this but surely constitutionally speaking this should all be negotiated through the United Kingdom government.

Don't you know the Island sets its own taxes and makes its own laws? This is in no way a constitutional issue.

I personally think the purpose of the visit is a good one bearing in mind the clout of the US on FATF and KYC, AML initiatives etc. and given that GWB's republican cronies are more likely to have a sympathetic ear when a low tax jurisdiction comes visting to assuage concerns than the Democrats.

Better to get our position secured now than to ignore the concerns and/or try and do a deal in the future with people who will be much less pre-disposed to listen.

We also need to send a heavy hitting team on any such visit for similar reasons. And let's face it, other than those (Gelling, Shimmin and Bell) who have been sent, which of our elected representatives would you have sent with the AG?

• 2 weeks later...
Don't you know the Island sets its own taxes and makes its own laws?

The Island does not make its own laws à la "We're the Isle of Man, we have our own Government and we can do whatever we like"

Our laws have to be given a thumbs up by our overseeing UK administration first.

We also need to send a heavy hitting team on any such visit for similar reasons. And let's face it, other than those (Gelling, Shimmin and Bell) who have been sent, which of our elected representatives would you have sent with the AG?

Large fish in a very, very small pond cross another Pond to have a chat with very, very large sharks fish in a very, very large pond.

(Probably over use of the words 'pond' and 'very' in that sentence, but I hope I make a point).

The trip was well intentioned but I can't somehow feel it is sometimes better not to put your head above the parapet in some matters.

Search Google News for "Isle of Man" "Tax" and to put the matter in perspective throw in 'billion' - it looks like we are in the World News again :(

The Island does not make its own laws à la "We're the Isle of Man, we have our own Government and we can do whatever we like"

Our laws have to be given a thumbs up by our overseeing UK administration first.

It's been 40 years since the Lord of Mann refused to assent to an Act Of Tynwald I think (Radio Caroline ship etc.).

A fair point, but there again it has been 40 years since our politicians have dared or been stupid enugh to introduce a law that Westminster (for ultimately it is they) would turn down. Most of the laws passed are simply re-hash of those passed through UK Parliament anyway.

PS Nice work, Alias - good one :)

(I am sure Mr Gelling will see the funny side of that one - probably even got a copy as wallpaper on his laptop!!)

Archived