Number Plates Back In The News...

Ripsaw

if they're introducing a ban - it should apply to all vehicles regardless of age. I cant see the reasoning, yellow plates dont fit old cars? (Or maybe the greater % of MHKs have pre-1989 cars?)

And it should include farmers vehicles, they should have to adhere exactly the same as other road users for any vehicles they drive on a public road .

They seem to get away with a blank plate held on with bailing twine, that's the law abiding farmers , most of them don't bother displaying anything.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of them don't seem to connect the indicators / stop light either.

NOT fun when you are on 2 wheels  :angry:

Don't you mean, most of them don't bother with having any indicators at all fitted to their trailers.

OOoooh Arrr wot's one of them boy, aye right, well the government and the coppers thinks we is ok without them indicator thingys and back lights, wot color is dem thar lights on the back anyways.

And it should include farmers vehicles, they should have to adhere exactly the same as other road users for any vehicles they drive on a public road .

They seem to get away with a blank plate held on with bailing twine, that's the law abiding  farmers , most of them don't bother displaying anything.

As well as that any bikers with really tiny numberplates that look like namebadges tucked under the rear light are taking the xxxx.

The Following is from an e-mail that someone sent to me, it was originally written by Ken Kyme, Legislation Section, DoT

1. It has been the law since 1st. February 1990 that white (or silver) characters on black plates may only be used on vehicles REGISTERED in the Island BEFORE that date.

Three years ago we relaxed this to allow those black plates to be used on vehicles MANUFACTURED before 1st. February 1990. Owing to various recent amendments to the structure of Licensing and Registration of Vehicles Regulations it became unclear as to whether that relaxation still had effect. so the latest Amendment to the regulations which came into force on 23rd. April 2004 clarified that that relaxation is indeed still in force. That is, black plates can be used on vehicles MANUFACTURED before 1st. February 1990.

So, ever since 1st. February 1990 it has been illegal to display registration marks on black plates on vehicles registered in the Island on or after that date, but the new regulations confirm that it is not illegal to do so if the vehicle was manufactured before that date.

The owner of a vehicle (other than the elderly vehicles mentioned) which displays black plates commits an offence under the Licensing and Registration of Vehicles Act 1985 by virtue of the Licensing and Registration of Vehicles Regulations 1989 (as amended). So, clearly, the owner of a more modern vehicle that displays black plates will continue to commit an offence unless he/she changes them to retro-reflective plates of BS standard.

Retro-reflective Registration Mark Plates are a part of the vehicle's lighting system, and so are mandatory, except for the concession for the elderly vehicles mentioned which are allowed to display black plates as befits the era when they were manufactured.

Any plate fitted to a vehicle manufactured on or after 1st. February 1990 must be retro-reflective white (front) or yellow (rear), to BS standard, and any such pate that becomes affixed to a vehicle on or after 1st. September 2004 MUST be to BS AU 145d standard for retro-reflectivity, colour and durability. Any such plate must display a hyphen to separate a letter from a figure (or vice-versa) in the same row - so, many plates must use 2 hyphens, of course: eg. DMN-135-H.

2. It has always been the case since the Manx-Style Plates (with the red emblem panel, known as "Ellan Vannin Registration Marks") were introduced in November 1994 that the hyphens must be displayed on them, and on "plain plates" that use the Manx size characters; but as from 1st. September 2004 all "plain" plates must display hyphens if the plates become affixed to a vehicle on or after 1st. September 2004 ........

-- except that small motor cycle plates need not display hyphens if there is insufficient space and, of course, vehicles manufactured before 1st. February 1990 are exempt from that requirement, though they may display them if the owner wishes.

Hyphens are used to clearly separate groups of letters from figures, so that there can be little doubt whether a character is a figure of a letter, even if they are of similar form when seen from a distance, such as "B" and "8", and to prevent manipulations of spacing that can mislead the reading of a registration mark.

3. To meet the new regulations of this last April, as regards retro-reflective plates that become affixed to a vehicle on or after 1st. September 2004, the name and postcode (or sufficient address) of the business that supplies the plate to the vehicle must be displayed at the bottom of the plate, either in accordance with BS AU 145d standard layout, or as allowed in our regulations for it to be displayed in a "dealer extension" below the design of the Manx style plates.

The dealer responsible for supplying the plate to the vehicle will therefore be identified on the plate.

4. Characters of the Registration Mark on plates may be of any of the British sizes appropriate to the class of vehicle, or be of the new Manx size 79mm high, 44mm width, 11.5mm stroke. (The existing Manx size 70mm high, 36mm width, 10mm stroke, also remains lawful, even for plates that become affixed to vehicles on or after 1st. September 2004). But hyphens must be displayed in the correct way on all retro-reflective plates (except small motor cyce plates and plates on vehicles manufactured before February 1990) that become affixed to a vehicle on or after 1st. September 2004.

5. It remains illegal to use italic or ornamental characters for the letters and figures of the Registration Mark, and on retro-reflective plates it remains illegal for the characters to be other than solid black throughout (except that 3-D effect black-grey characters are still allowed, provided the overall impression is that they are black when the characters are read from a distance, such as from another vehicle).

_________

If you need more information, or more detail, a package of information (with illustrations) is available from the Sea Terminal Reception Counter of the DoT. An advertisement appears in the IoM papers this week (being a reprint of the notice that appeared in the papers in April/May this year).

Yeah interesting points about the silver/black plates. Half the time the cars that they are put on aren't roadworthy themselves - surely this is more of a danger to the public that these plates are?

Another interesting point about silver/black plates... they don't show up too well on speed cameras.... what speed cameras here on the Island?? no never!! that's why they're sorting out the number plates & imposing a national speed limit... nice little money maker for the depleted government coffers.

And it should include farmers vehicles, they should have to adhere exactly the same as other road users for any vehicles they drive on a public road.

They're not taxed are they?

Neither are horses, they shouldn't be allowed on the road.

imposing a national speed limit... nice little money maker for the depleted government coffers.

How about you shove that right back in their face and don't speed, that way they'll get no revenue. Imagine if every motorist did that. They'd make nothing on their expensive speed cameras! That'll show them! How dare they try and enforce the law.

I certainly have no intention of swelling their coffers so I'm planning on not breaking the law, it sounds pretty easy to me.

Pay tax on your bicycle do you Uni?

In the defence of cyclists, I can not recall ever seeing one using a public road.

Paths and glens yes, but not roads.

Try Broadway and Ballaquayle Road at 5.00pm when I'm trying to get the hell out of Douglas.

They're all about then, the selfish gets. Holding me up for about 5 seconds!

imposing a national speed limit... nice little money maker for the depleted government coffers.

How about you shove that right back in their face and don't speed, that way they'll get no revenue. Imagine if every motorist did that. They'd make nothing on their expensive speed cameras! That'll show them! How dare they try and enforce the law.

I certainly have no intention of swelling their coffers so I'm planning on not breaking the law, it sounds pretty easy to me.

Agreed

not that my car is capable of reaching such heady speeds anyway

Archived