Number Plates Back In The News...

Ripsaw

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The force of the explosion forced metal right across the road and had someone been driving past at this time, the occupants would have been seriously injured or killed and we could have been looking at a murder inquiry."

Sounds like a winning idea to me Alex. You go do that.

As well as that any bikers with really tiny numberplates that look like namebadges tucked under the rear light are taking the xxxx.

Yes Slinky I totally agree with you, it really is a mockery. I certainly wouldn't do anything like that. The bigger the number plate the better that's my motto.

Two points - its not just motorbikes who have difficult to read plates. I've seen a couple of artics which have the number plate behind the bumper to stop cars going under the back - no digital enhancement of a speed photo is going to be able to read a plate thats obscured by a metal bar...

Black / silver plates - speed cameras are just as able to read black silver as they are black/yellow. Perhaps its more that if you have a car with black/silver plates it can be used as a reason to pull you over and check for other defects such as lack of insurance, insufficent tread on your tyres, drink driving etc etc

Or alternatively if your driving like a tw4t and they can't prove it then you can at least be fined for something. I suspect a decent, corteous driver with black/silver plates will probably be able to convince a police officer (as they are by and large reasonable people) that his real plates are on order and they will be on the car next time he sees it...

When we were on the way back from Glastonbury last year our VW camper broke down (as they do) and we had to be brought to the ferry by the AA in one of those huge big lorries that put the van on the back.

The driver was talking about speed cameras, and said a common practise that he himself also used for the mounted cameras was to drive so close to the vehicle in front that the cameras couldn't see the plates!

How safe. I just can't wait.

ps I agree Wilddog, it's an absolute mockery! Who would do such a thing.

elderly vehicles

Heh. Do they have walking sticks too?

I think it got mentioned last time there was this debate, but doens't MAN 1 have silver on black? Doesn't look that old to me, they must really look after that car.

And I agree with horses. And cyclists. Can't they petition for horse and cycle paths or something? I'm not arguing cycling is healthy and evironmentally freindly, but do they have to be so dangerous to those around them?

I still think that all cars should have the new plates fitted.

IF it has something to do with speed cameras being brought in, what's to stop someone buying a 1989 Ferrari or something equally as powerful and sticking black plates on it and dodging the fine? I don't believe the black plates look any better on older cars either as they can look damn good on new ones.

A level playing field is called for I feel.

Neither are horses, they shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Pay tax on your bicycle do you Uni?

Unlikely but I agree that horses shouldn't be on the roads. At least bicyles don't have minds of their own which make them entirely unpredictable & subject to random behaviour without warning. That and the fact they don't deposit huge piles of turd on the road!

Unless you're talking about kids/teenagers on bicycles though. That's a whole different ballgame of unpredictability & non-conformity with any know rules!

Archived