Tourism Figures

Fleur

I've been listening to the sound clip on Manx Radio's website, and our Minister of Fun (he who has had his bum perma-glued to the Tourism chair) has left me somewhat confused.

It seems if I understood properly from the rather clipped clip, and I stand to be corrected, that tourism figures include visits to the island by residents' family, residents' friends, people arriving for business purposes, people arriving to take up employment, illegal immigrants, to-ing and fro-ing of prisoners and warders, nurses and doctors and tourists.

Maybe even the headcount of crews on these boats and planes contribute towards our successful tourist industry.

I'm not sure how the DT&L count all these people landing on our shores. Does anyone know how they manage to extract (for tourism figure purposes) the locals who are arriving home from school, university, holidays, shopping, work, hospital etc, etc?

Is everyone who ever sets foot on an island bound plane or boat counted towards our tourism figures?

If so, how on earth can an efficient tourism strategy be formulated?

I've been listening to the sound clip on Manx Radio's website, and our Minister of Fun (he who has had his bum perma-glued to the Tourism chair) has left me somewhat confused.

It seems if I understood properly from the rather clipped clip, and I stand to be corrected, that tourism figures include visits to the island by residents' family, residents' friends, people arriving for business purposes, people arriving to take up employment, illegal immigrants, to-ing and fro-ing of prisoners and warders, nurses and doctors and tourists.

Maybe even the headcount of crews on these boats and planes contribute towards our successful tourist industry.

I'm not sure how the DT&L count all these people landing on our shores. Does anyone know how they manage to extract (for tourism figure purposes) the locals who are arriving home from school, university, holidays, shopping, work, hospital etc, etc?

Is everyone who ever sets foot on an island bound plane or boat counted towards our tourism figures?

If so, how on earth can an efficient tourism strategy be formulated?

I'm surprised they can get any figures of any sort out because, according to one of their members in the department when asked to do something - "well, we can't do it because we're very under-resourced"! Are you kidding me, what the hell does that department do! Tourists - what tourists! I think they must add the members of the department into the tourist figures as well just to make them look good!

Under -resourced my Ar...

This is a department with over £30 MILLION expenditure.

Do we get good value for money. They spend over Two and a half million pounds on Marketing and P.R. and still dont even know how many visitors we get or how it should be calculated. :angry:

Archived